Credit Card Reclaiming Discussion

Options

Comments

• Aubstar
    Options
    Hi, I requested my bank charges from Alliance & Leicester (about £3000) and wrote to them asking for my money back last August. I had acknowledgment from them of my letter and that the case was on hold. Recently I had another another letter saying they are still awaiting the results of the test case. This has now been over a year since I submitted my claim.

What do I do now? I could really do with the money, but I don't know where to start. Should I write to them again and ask what's happening? How can I get them to pay out?

Thanks in advance for your help.
  • hectic
    Options
    Had something really strange happen to me yesterday. Having accepted £374.00 in reclaimed charges from Capital One, I received a cheque and paid it into my bank - lovely. However, yesterday I was told by my bank that the cheque has since bounced - I am not a happy hecter. I tried to speak to Capital One with my old account number and kept getting cut off, however, when my husband tried with his account number (still active) he got through immediately. :naughty: I spoke to a manager and he promised me that he will investigate and phone me on Monday. I think I am being given the run around here , so what do I do? Do I go to the ombudsmen? I cannot understand how Capital One can have insufficient funds in their account to honour a cheque!!!!!:mad:
  • maryt_3
    Options
    I have has a letter this morning to say that Barclaycard will refund all my charges on one account.
    However I have now remembered that I have another account with them whch hasn't been used for 2 years. Does anyone know if I have to pay another £10 to get the statements for this old account:j
  • gingerkitten
    Options
    Had something really strange happen to me yesterday. Having accepted £374.00 in reclaimed charges from Capital One, I received a cheque and paid it into my bank - lovely. However, yesterday I was told by my bank that the cheque has since bounced - I am not a happy hecter. I tried to speak to Capital One with my old account number and kept getting cut off, however, when my husband tried with his account number (still active) he got through immediately. :naughty: I spoke to a manager and he promised me that he will investigate and phone me on Monday. I think I am being given the run around here , so what do I do? Do I go to the ombudsmen? I cannot understand how Capital One can have insufficient funds in their account to honour a cheque

Would be interested how you got on with Capital One hectic.
  • Bebsie
    Bebsie Posts: 382 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I am claiming my Lloyds TSB Credit Card Charges. The total amount is about £400. They sent me a cheque for £74 and I told them I was not happy and wanted the rest, they then sent me another cheque for £54.24 saying full and final settlement and that there files are closed and this is the final correspondance. Does that mean that I have to give up and only accept what they have paid?
  • hectic
    Options
    Hi well, the latest from Capital One is there was an error at their end (although this was no surprise to me), and they are putting a new cheque in the post. I will keep you all posted on this:xmastree: .
  • gingerkitten
    Options
    I wrote to GE Money on 19 November this year asking for a list of the charges applied to my account (Store Card). It took them a full month to reply and the information they have supplied is incomplete. The last paragraph of their letter says 'Unfortunately some of your data is not available to us for June through to September 2004, December 2004 through to February 2005 and April 2005. I appreciate this does not fully meet with you requirements and apologise for any inconvenience this may cause, however, this will be taken into consideration when making any calculations for a refund where applicable'.
    Ha! they have obviously suspect whats coming next, but how can I go to the next stage in claiming back the charges when I don't have a full list?

Any advice? I think I've waited long enough and don't want to fall for their stalling tactics.
  • Can anyone help i have sent off for my citi card statements they have taken the £10 about 2 weeks ago whats the best thing to do next thanks!
  • Cookiebean2
    Options
    Please bear with me i am new and this is my first post so I hope it appears in the right place.

I am trying to reply to Gingerkitten's post above

I am also trying to claim charges back on several store cards through GE Money, its sounds like I have received the same reply as you as all of my reply letters from them have missing details varying from a couple of months to nearly a year so like you I thought how am I going to be able to work out what amount I should be claiming.

After looking through old posts for advice I contacted the Information Commissioner but they passed me onto the Financial Services Ombudsman so perhaps it would be worth you contacting them as well, explaining your problems with GE Money. The stage I am at is that the Ombudsman has lodged a complaint against GE Money and has written to them asking them to contact me so the issue can be resolved but I have heard nothing and that is over 2 weeks ago now, I am not holding out much hope in them contacting me.

I will leave it till after Christmas then I will ring the Ombudsman back and see what he suggests next.

I am sorry I couldn't offer any other advice but I just had to tell you that I have exactly the same problem! Please let me know how you get on.
  • gingerkitten
    Options
    Hi Cookiebean

Thanks for that, after re-reading the letter and checking the dates, I have discovered that not only are there odd months missing (as in my original post) they have actually missed a whole two years of charges!!. My account was opened in 2000 and I requested six years charges, by my reckoning I should have dates from 2002 but GE have only supplied from 2004.

I was going to write to them threatening to contact the Information Commissioner but that looks like it will be a waste of time, I might just go to Commissioner immediately. Actually their stalling tactics and evasiveness just make me more determined, they put me through hell when I hit difficulty and couldn't make my payments on time, phone calls at least three times a day every day to my mobile and my home number, charges added at every opportunity and now they think they can try and bluff their way out of it :mad:

I think my next course of action (after the information commissioner) is to write again to GE and ask them for a copy of the CCA. Let's see... if they don't have the details of my account prior to 2004, they won't have a signed CCA will they!:rolleyes:

Keep you posted cookiebean
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure