PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    We will probably be on our own again this year, last year was wonderful, I was in bed with flu, OH had a Wiltshire Farm Foods dinner, I had a chicken Oxo in hot water!!
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sounds like us about 12 years ago 2 with flu and me with shingles. The NHS number you rang then said give them both some cornflakes and go to bed you're the illest of the three of you.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    edited 2 October 2018 at 8:45PM
    Options
    Don't know where we'll be eating on Christmas Day yet. We usually went to DD1 and DSIL, for several years running, but last year DSIL, who has autism, thought he'd really like to be just the two of them for a change, and of course DD was quite happy with that, not having to worry about visitors. But apparently they didn't enjoy it as much as they'd expected to, so we might be with them again this year. It's awkward for them to come here as they have 2 dogs, and we now have a cat into the bargain.

But csarina and NM - Oh dear! Just one of those things, of course.

NM Such a shame if you have to miss out on your DGS. Your poor DS seems to have to work such a lot of hours.
  • nursemaggie
    Options
    No he doesn't ivyleaf he just starts before the streets are aired as they say in the East midlands. He has not worked later than 11.30am for the past week.

It suits him the hours he is nearer to Japan time. He has a lot of friends there. He now speaks fluent Japanese and even uses words native Japanese don't know what he means. That's what you get for reading classics.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I haven't got Halloween and bonfire night sorted yet and Mrs L has to mention the C word!!!
    Last year I came out of A&E at 7pm on Christmas Eve - luckily we were at DS1 for Christmas dinner and DS2 for Boxing Day. Don't know what we'll do this year - maybe return the favours ;) depends on what DS's are up to.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,205 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just try to avoid A&E silvasava...
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I missed the five thirty train and the next one was not till nearly seven so I got that and a taxi from the Leeds train station to the bus station and then home after nine thirty.

Had just got in when there was a knock at the door- I opened it to find middle dd and bf there and informing me all dds worried about me. I have now phoned them and apologised for worrying them and feel like a naughty four year old.

I did have a lovely time though:o
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • nursemaggie
    Options
    Me too Elona we should have stayed together because I did not get a train until 6.30. I asked some station staff and they still directed me to wrong platform. Most Manchester Airport trains take a different rout and do not go through Bolton.

I know just how you felt when my DS said not to go abroad on my own. I nearly said "yes dad". He's only 24 a third of my age.
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    nursemaggie

I am so sorry you had difficulty too. I thought things might be easier for your journey. I got a really cheap ticket that was direct with no changes and assumed the train was every hour but did not realise that after five the trains were less frequent,

Maybe I should have gone for a more main line service but I was trying to avoid changes etc.

Glad you got home safe and had a lovely time and it was great to meet you.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • nursemaggie
    Options
    I thought the same as you but your right trains are getting worse and worse. Northern rail is owned by Arriva. They took over running the ambulance service in Greater Manchester just as we moved up here. It was totally chaotic until they were chucked out and and North West Ambulances took over again. Arriva are the ones who have rerouted the trains away from Bolton. We were short of trains before they took over and this is there answer to constant requests for more trains.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure