PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Polly those words are so lovely !
    "Take our passion, our compassion as we hold our loved ones tight and make our love a towering beacon across the North West tonight".
    If you substituted "this land" for "the north west" then it would be universal and brilliant.
  • mardatha
    Options
    I had an old neighbour years ago who said to me once that all us young ones thought we were the bee’s knees... Driving and having cars, dropping kids off at school - then going to work,- then going to the shops - then taking kids to guides & scouts etc etc. Running around like headless chickens he said :D
    He told me his own mum had stayed at home, the kids walked to school themselves and all the vans came to her door. The butchers van, the bakers, the grocers - all came to her, not her going to them. And that really made me think, you know? It sounds so much more peaceful than life for most now.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It certainly does, mar! I remember in the 60s/70s (and probably long before that, but we were living else where then) there was a mobile grocer's van came round.

In the 70s when we were in army quarters in Yorkshire we had a butcher and a greengrocer came round every week.

On the other hand, I suppose young mothers perhaps spent a lot more time stuck in the house, unless they went out to work. I remember feeling very isolated and depressed when my girls were small.
  • mardatha
    Options
    I loved being at home with a toddler and a baby, all the other kids on the landing came to my house lol - maybe that's why now I haven't got any patience at all for wee bairns :D
  • ivyleaf
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    I loved being at home with a toddler and a baby, all the other kids on the landing came to my house lol - maybe that's why now I haven't got any patience at all for wee bairns :D

:D You obviously used it all up!
  • nannywindow
    Options
    My goodness it is very quiet on here :think: I hope everyone is well.

Hugs nan xx
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • ivyleaf
    Options
    I'm ok thanks nan, just not a lot happening atm. Oh, except when the kitten decides to climb up the curtains. And we have to remember to keep the bathroom door closed at all times, or we find pawprints in the bath :D
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,177 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sounds like you need to encourage the kitten to use the bathroom ivyleaf, and teach it to wash it's paws!
  • mardatha
    Options
    Isn't it cold now? Huge change this last couple of days.
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    It's the time of year, mardatha, but it always comes as a bit of a shock, particularly after a good summer. Winter draws on (or should that be drawers?)
    One life - your life - live it!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure