PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3

Comments

• Just back from the land of the great fairy tale. There they only wanted the canaries to be sky blue ginger and were disappointed that the female canaries could only produce polka dot canaries, and a few green ones too! Shame was bought upon the fairy tale land, as all knew how bad the polka dot canaries had been over the years, with their greed and abhorrence of the green canaries. In time, the chief cuckoo of the land decided that for betterment of all the canaries, they should only be those who were sky blue ginger. So the top dogs around soon developed techniques to increase the sky blue ginger canaries, All the non sky blue ginger canaries were put down at birth and fed to the cuckoos.
    In a generation, the canaries all became sky blue ginger and any reference to the green and polka dot canary was erased from history.
    The only problem was that the cuckoo, who had feted on the polka dot and green canary, suddenly had run out of their staple food, and hunted then the sky blue ginger canary!

The fairy tale land had gone to the dogs!

5 Oh gawd, if only Sparra was here, she’d not get that one! Talking ofs being here, my router, had updated to ip6 and I has the new ip6 address at home, ready for the next version of the internet of connected click bait. I knows not of how many times I am encouraged that of I did eat this food, that within minutes my life would be terminated and … Only problem is this parish seems not to enjoy the delights of the wanderlust new internet and my ip address, tokens and things are band! So at the moment you daily washings and doings of the BoP is restricted to what I can get away with from the boiler room at the mill! So there, that’s yous put right again.

4 At mill, we has run all the bails of cotton through the Jenny and have cloth coming all over the place. We have delivered this to the shirt makers and they are pleased that we did so on time. Their client is going to be dressed in his new suit very shortly, but it seems that they are missing the shirt buttons. Still, millwright has collected the cash for this part of the project and we have not seen him this week. Usual rule, not inn bank FryDay, We are out of here!

3 With that, BoPsie has also been on this internet of things, obviously viewing wummin sites. Looks like we are on for a good head of steam at the weekend. More later!

2 Nite. As you are aware, BoP will be showing off his beach ready look at the gym. Viewing is recommended! And ifs yous seen that so called trim pad so advertised with the funny bike thing recently, I don’t need the pad!

In the land of the pig, the butcher is king!
    In reference to Meatloaf!
  • milasavesmoney
    milasavesmoney Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 26 July 2017 at 2:32PM
    * Cooler days this week are forecasted by our lovely weatherwoman with scattered showers over the state of NM. Monsoon season!

* KFC last night. Not great, but I didn't have to cook!

* DD3's FaceTime reports from Thailand regarding her wonderful trip. She's getting quite tan! She has loved these three weeks away...the people, the food, the culture, the sites. Flies home to Pennsylvania tomorrow and then three days to flip back to her time zone before work starts. She hopes that's enough.

* The watery color we painted our sitting room is so pretty and calm. Twenty five years with the same wallpaper was quite enough!
    Note to BoP: sky blue gingery? I'm picturing a pretty sunset color.

* DH is up and out fishing very early this morning. Fish don't bite when it gets too hot, so he will be in before 10a this morning. He was in a great mood last night from thinking about going. Anticipation!

Waves to all of y'all from cow country! :hello::hello::hello:
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • Well done MHAGS the decision can't have been an easy one to make and I think you're being ultra sensible ,glad you've still got the house back here to come to and make yourselves a happier future. Bring that Haggis back to the UK is what I say and then you can let us see a picture of him, please, we'd all like to see who has been in our hearts for a while now!

1) Trip into town yielded several nice YS items including rare roast beef!

2) Found the luggage strap I'd been wanting which is sky blue with various emoticons on it in very bright yellow, this strapped to a bright red case should ensure it remains mine!

3) One of DD1s colleagues wants DD2s bridesmaids dress from when she was 6 (carefully stored by DD2 until last month and she's now 33) for her 5 year old, it's going to a little girl who will wear it, it's too pretty to just go in the clothing bank.

4) Feeling more awake than I thought I would as had a dreadful night last night and there was a huge amount of 'river traffic' in the wee small hours which was very noisy, those big container ships have very loud engines.

5) Tea.......more tea.......and possibly more tea than that!
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,564 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 July 2017 at 9:35PM
    What an enjoyable comfy-reading post, mrs lw:-)
    Send me your shipping sounds any day, any time. Big part of upbringing was over the Port of Wellington, while parents built 2nd own house, after full-time work each day, out at Ngaio on the 10-acre bush block. That's how NZ was then. In fact, one cousin has done same. Equivalent now comes as a build/design-your-own jigsaw/kit. They have done it. Have put it up on a lifestyle block of hillside on the Taihape Road. Loved it last year, v.v.v. new. Calves now down the bottom, fattening for 2 weddings. Water is precious up there, all rainwatwer run-off, gathered into big tanks dug into hillside.

Frith, have noted your presence elsewhere:-) and somehow lost an early a.m. post re: your dentalities. Look, you will be fine as fine, pointless as it is for anyone else to tell you so. BUT, if you don't want a bigger bore than usual from moi re: earliest childhood dentist betrayal...
    Truly, all will be well...Mother Julian always comes to the rescue.
    How is Bigger Son's thumb? That was a hack story of horror.

Apologies. appaerently, for somehow infecting boputah with &notspottery. It IS infuriating, but will pass.....digits x'd as we speak.
    #
    1. Listening to World Champ. swimming commentary. Adam Peaty. Surprising and marvellous stuff.

2. Catching part 1 of this phenomenal play on Arthur Miller, as I sorted stuff for Spits[very badly, in rain] this arvo. No apology for full paste:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06gqh7y

The Life and Times of Arthur Miller Episode 1 of 4

Arthur Miller would have been 100 years old on October 17th this year. To mark the centenary BBC Radio 4, LA Theatre Works, and a stellar American cast have come together to produce four new dramas by Mike Walker and Jonathan Holloway.
    As a writer Miller felt that to create a character, you had to understand how family, circumstances and events had shaped that character. 'The fish is in the water and the water is in the fish', as he famously put it. These specially commissioned plays recreate some of the experiences that shaped Miller himself, throwing light on how he would become one of the most influential playwrights in American literature.
    1. Beginnings
    Arthur Miller is born in New York on the 17th of October 1915 to a prosperous family in the clothing business. A poor school student, he loves making things with wood and dreams of becoming a crooner. But when the stock market crashes and the Millers face ruin, Arthur contemplates a different future.

By Mike Walker.
    Producer for LA Theatre Works: Susan Loewenberg
    Associate Producers: Anna Lyse Erikson and Myke D Wysekopf
    Sound by Mark Holden, Wes Dewberry, and Catherine Robinson

A BBC/Cymru Wales and LA Theatre Works Co-Production, directed by Kate McAll

Whoever is associated with this deserves every plaudit going. vjm - one for you, esp. dd.

3. enzed hometown friends' news, just as & returned from loading. J's 1st live-in assignment begins tmrw, so they will be off for a bit. All is well.

4. Took a big porcelain mug to lovely neighbour's brother, seeing his super smart van there - 'The King of Gardeners' fancy job, found in France. Still have a Scrabble one, a purple twitter one and 'Sawdust is man glitter' one, all found in France. to take to a.n.other friend.

5. Finished Susie Steiner book
    https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/feb/07/missing-presumed-review-susie-steiner
    - which came free with grauniad several Saturdays back. It's knowingly good, deffo. worth reading, unfortunately a can't-put-downer.

#
    mhags - decision made and none of us surprised overly, i suspect. Dear mhags, dear OH, dear dd1, dd2, ds and dear Haggis,.....virtual hugs and virtual support, no less real, from us all.

Exciting cricket now...another one for Mr Mila to puzzle over. Like young James Taylor[career curtailed unexpectedly recently.] Intend being present when Blowers makes his final commentary in September too. Can't fathom ticket site so far, having been trying since retirement was announced last month

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/23/voice-cricket-henry-blofeld-retires-finding-kilter-style-younger/.]

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRaj40BFSRfG0AMiY19LrBoiTsbymRYYtaK5cjfVVs2Nq389i0sZQ
    #
    & has big Lullingstone+Tom Hart-Dyke pleasures as yet unposted, but have gone on enough of late.
    COMMANDMENT : GO THERE, EVERYONE, JUST GO. DO IT.
    https://www.lullingstonecastle.co.uk/tom-hart-dykes-blog.html
    #
    Strongest poss. wishes pk and Frith, re: i/v news.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,564 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 July 2017 at 9:30PM
    Good grief! - bop's desire is met in sparrer thank'ee :-)

Indeed we do think of you, but remember your demanding rôle and your spelling out of how little time you would have.

Hope it all continues well:-) Au lit for me. Up in 5 and a bit hours.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• sparrer
    sparrer Posts: 7,547 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!

5 Oh gawd, if only Sparra was here, she’d not get that one!
    No, she wouldn't - Sorry I haven't a clue, as they say! :huh:
    Perhaps trying to confuzzle me even more now I've joined the Septuagenarian Club, poor old girl...

Hello lovely friends old and new, how good to 'see' you all once more and read all your news.

Life plods on here, very little of interest for you to hear about. My dear dog, now 16, is completely deaf and almost blind so he's been my priority for some time. Holidays have ceased for the time being, I'm just going on my annual weekend meet-up at Birmingham Hilton tomorrow and my dgd1 is moving in to look after ToppyDog.

Just coming up to my 8th month running the area telephone responders service for my fellowship which takes much of my time. I was told it was a walk in the park, just no-one told me it was Jurrasic Park! But it's good fun and very rewarding when it runs smoothly.

I treated myself to an unusual but super birthday present, had a team of cleaners in and a carpet cleaner, now the whole house is sparkling.

After a bit of a crash - wing mirror embedded in my face, not the best way to get plastic surgery but thank you NHS - my DS bought me a dash cam and fitted it yesterday. I may not feel any safer but I'll have proof of idiots in future. The family clubbed together and bought me a gorgeous ring, a ruby which is my birthstone, and a bracelet which matches perfectly. Many other lovely gifts including trees, gardening vouchers, plants etc., and two luscious cakes. They know me and so well :)

DS visited for a few days with his new-ish girlfriend, J, the best present was seeing him happy now he's away from a very difficult 12-year relationship. J and I got on well and she seems to care for him very much which is all a mother can ask. He may be in his 30's but still my baby!

Enough rambling, I need put a dress in a case so will, hopefully, get back in the not too distant future.

Take care God bless

Sparrer x
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,151 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 26 July 2017 at 10:28PM
    Hello, Sparrer. Sorry to hear about your car accident. Glad your son is happy.

Mhags - interested to hear your news about moving. Not an easy decision to make, I'm sure.

Another busy day here!

1) Up early to let plasterers in. 80% of stairs and landing done now. Just one bit of landing then under the stairs to skim.

2) Hens well.

3) Went to big dentists - which is HUGE! Ours has 2 chairs in the waiting room and 1 receptionist. This had 30 people in reception, 3 receptionists, phones ringing constantly and 14 dentists! It was one of those NHS days when you feel "I'm sure they're very good but..."

No one seemed to know I was coming. No one knew anything about me. People thought I wasn't having sedation/was having tooth out today/had lots of decay (no fillings here, thank you very much!!) People said, "Come this way", then disappeared so I didn't know where to go. Someone did an Xray then left me there. Then they said, "You can go", and it took me ages to find the stairs to get out!

The x ray is quite cool. Hadn't had one done on teeth for 22 years. No one wants to sit with me for hours after the sedation (they suggest having someone there even overnight) so nothing can be done. :-/

4) Popped to see Aunty S afterwards.

5) Dropped football clothes off for smaller son who hired a pitch with his friends all afternoon then watched his team play Birm City this evening.

Today's catastrophe!

Dragged turtle tank in to bathroom for its normal cleaning. Spent a long time cleaning the filters, glass etc. Filled it with water (gallons and gallons), dragged it out of bathroom then dropped it on the floor.

Ran to airing cupboard to stop the tidal wave that went across the landing into the bathroom. Then heard the sound of water hitting lots of different surfaces downstairs. :-(

Turned the electricity off. All other towels pressed into service as the water found its way between the beams - onto the worktop (and bread), all over and down the back of the fridge, just on the floor, onto the window sill, in the cupboard with the consumer unit in it...

So the kitchen is now extremely clean! Turtles are in a large plastic storage crate.

6) Took lots of books to charity shop and found an old photograph album with granddad in. My brother popped round and had a look also.

7) Watched 24 Hours in A and E.
  • DundeeDoll
    DundeeDoll Posts: 4,902 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Wow big news mhags not to put you off but this morning was rain rain and more rain.
    1) mrpiano very kindly drove me up to library door for my meeting
    2) and picked me up at 11:30 and took me to medical school for my 12 noon meeting.
    3) had to get up early to read stuff for 1st meeting didn't make any lunch so had lunch with colleague who is old colleague but in new job
    4) home and the sun was shining yay and mrpiano had done duck on puy lentils. On a school night. Feeling blessed.
    5) dd2 has done some more work on the office and unearthed the wii fit. We have been doing basic steps, and wii has told me I've lost 6 pounds and I'm 47 (I'm 54 next month)
    6) phoned dad. Work is paying for me to go down to London 24th so planning to stay at his and spend a couple of days with him. Sadly don't seem to be able to get direct flight to Southend like last time so have asked dd2 to scope travel for me
    MrsSD declutter medals 🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐
  • DundeeDoll
    DundeeDoll Posts: 4,902 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    sparrer wrote: »
    5 Oh gawd, if only Sparra was here, she’d not get that one!
    No, she wouldn't - Sorry I haven't a clue, as they say!
    :rotfl:
    Welcome back sparrer:j
    sparred wrote: »
    I was told it was a walk in the park, just no-one told me it was Jurrasic Park! x
    :rotfl::rotfl:
    MrsSD declutter medals 🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐
  • Purple_kitten
    Purple_kitten Posts: 3,031 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Welcome back Sparrer:j
    Mhags that’s big news.

1 Work is done for another day, I can timesheet tomorrow.

2 I received the call back, arranging the interview now. Yikes.

3 I made cawli cheese and chicken for tea, I really didn’t want to but trying to get on track with the diet.

4 DH has his new Mig welder and he his beaming from ear to ear, happy.

5. Listed a few items now on the bay to clear some space.

The not so good, I received a call today from DF’s doctor in hospital, I will be taking Friday off work to go up, he was calling for me which makes my heart lurch, he was given news of having to have major surgery and amputation, at which he went into shock, but almost thankfully he doesn’t remember today.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback