Energy Price Cap announcement: Watch Martin Lewis explain what it means for your electricity and gas bills this winter
5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3
edited 18 July 2017 at 11:40AM in Old style MoneySaving
20.5K replies 1.5M views
Latest MSE News and Guides
Energy Price Cap change
Martin Lewis on what it means for youMSE News
Best £1 you've ever spent?
Share your most impressive bargainsMSE Forum
New MSE Forum avatars available
Try 'em out nowMSE Forum
1 A little lay in, with porridge for brekkie and later was a lovely grilled chicken salad for lunch at our fav caf!.
2 We went to the next town over for their wonderful fruit and veg stall, as lidl has outpriced itself on courgettes and a few other things. Wow did they come up trumps, a box of toms as in a big cardboard box of toms I will make into lasagne sauce and salsa, a cauliflower that takes up half of the fridge shelf, courgettes, carrots and she got me a marrow that is ridiculously long I am assuming about 2 ft long, the lot for a fiver. We also picked up lots of needed little bits, bird food, wood wax, descaler, sponges etc, all home bargains direction and saver shops.
3 I made a note of a little table top sale happening around the corner, I spotted the guide dog people butting up signs for it.
4 It’s nice to be back and 2 teas later sitting, using a jingly glove thing to play with the animals.
5 A very tiny bit of tidying done.
6 Just put a slice of from freezer pizza in the oven.
We had our fund raising morning tea with a Christmas in July theme yesterday and have so far raised $450.00. This will go to our oncologist's research at cancer hospital .
I was up early to do a video chat with my great niece ( oh the wonders of technology) , make scones , remake scones as bad dog Haggis ate the first batch! Made a fruit punch with pineapple juice, cranberry juice and ginger ale, orange slices and cinnamon sticks. Set up a gingerbread man icing station. Friend came with her friend who is on holiday from Germany and did a Tupperware display. Friend & her daughter have just started a face painting business and did our party for free which was very kind. I had a sparkly, swirly holly pattern on the side of my face. I had said from 10 am on invite & no one came till 10.30am & I was despairing no one would come & then the hoards appeared and all was well and my house was filled with chatter & laughter & queues for face painting! Final person left at 3.30pm
The mini-est of snoozettes! Just a restorative 20 minutes! Tidied up.
Phone calls with my sister and both sister in laws.
Thai food for tea was very yummy. I realised I'd only had about 2 teeny tiny mince pies all day!
Today is tidy up & put Christmas back in the cupboard! And a big dog walk before the rain comes I think.
Glad your Christmas went well, MHags. Quite fancying gingerbread now!
Pleasures for today (Saturday)
1) A lie in.
2) Croissants for breakfast.
3) Bigger son went to work, smaller son went to watch the football with his friends.
4) Hens well and they are having gone to seed lettuce each day.
5) Made Nadiya's chicken tikka masala for tea with naans and rice, then meringues and raspberries. My brother popped in and had some as well.
Some drama this evening when bigger son, out in his shed, accidentally carved through his finger. He panicked massively, running around the house shouting at me to "stop looking at him". Quite a lot of mopping up to do. :-/ Eventually he fainted on the living room floor (as he does, at times like that) and it is not too bad, bandaged up neatly now!
Congrats on yourdd'sgraduation vjsmum
1) lazy Saturday morning. Bliss
2) Mr piano is teaching someone whose dad is a renowned accordionist. The son is also a dab hand. Apparently I'm using the wrong fingering for the left hand d'oh. More practice needed.
3) dd1, dd2, dm and I went to base of home and bought a cube storage unit, had a cupper at elm of dun, then home to...
4) make a start on the office. They didn't have the 4x4 unit so dd2will get a couple on her way back from Edinburgh Tuesday. I have cut out shapes for the 1, 2 and 4 wide unit and had great fun moving them round the office floor plan.
5) then we all watched batman lego movie. British robots indeed (how the daleks were referred to if you haven't seen it)
Now in bed listening to dads army on iPad, dogs at my feet, tea at my side. Night all
Wish we had done Christmas in July. We did it last year. It was fun!
1. Chinese takeaway Fri night. Nice way to end a rubbish week!
2. Shopping on my own at Resorts World.
3. Won a prize on spin the wheel promotion for the Genting Casino. Talk of going for works Xmas do, so will save it until December!
4. Flamingo fest.... got flamingo diary and flamingo coasters while out shopping, and DF got me flamingo lights for pet sitting. :j
5. Managed to sleep all night last night. Woke up with a few good ideas for school in September. May help to make me feel more positive about my new role.:(
Pottered about tidying up.
Christmas stuff away...back to normal. Even though it was only up for 4 days it was nice to put away.
Started a book read a few chapters. ( this is a BIG thing....lost my reading mojo / concentration since OH died)
Lovely chat with friend from home. She phoned me, I phoned her back
Chicken and veg pie for tea.
Pleasures for yesterday
1. OH and i went for a spontaneous walk along the canal to a city 8 miles away. beer may have been involved :beer:
2. we managed to avoid all rain showers somehow :T
3. OH cooked roast chicken for dinner - I KNOW, on a saturday too. But DD and i are out tonight so it made sense..
4. I think i have caught up with post holiday sleep deprivation..
5. I slept through a quite good film - according to OH.
DD and i are off to Stratford to see Seth Lakeman at the RSC. Report tomorrow
* Three more rooms finished. Tile guy hired for kitchen backsplash to be done in three weeks. Quality tile guys are busy here. We are on his schedule.
* A feeling of blissful contentment as Thomas (DH) and I kept a gorgeously cuddly 4mo. old last night. She 'talked' and smiled at us until she snuggled down in my arms for her bottle and sleep. Of course I held her until they came home. Little blessings.
Her parents were happy to have a night out for dinner.
* I looked at my calendar and nothing is scheduled for this week. I breathed a sigh of relief.
* Still have the granddawgs. House elf, this Bernie parks himself under one of the refrigerated air vents and doesn't move. He also has a summer haircut. DD1 lives in the high desert so not as hot there and he can spend more time outdoors. He currently is testing out the new hardwood floors in my walk-in closet. Otherwise he is passed out on the tile floor in the kitchen.
I hear the feral cat these dogs so love to chase has been napping with the rabbits while they are here with me.
* It has rained for the second day and smells heavenly. Flowers will bloom in the desert with two days of rain! A respite from watering the yard and garden has Thomas in a good mood.
* So many garden tomatoes! I'm thinking I'll make a pasta dish tonight. Something with tomatoes and balsamic vinegar.
* Huge meat mixture cooked up for future burritos and now portioned in the freezer. I then can take out a container, add beans or potatoes or whatever and cheese of course for scrumptious burritos.
* The pit bull sounds just like Thomas when snoring. I don't know why this is funny to me, but it is.
* Blinis with runny apricot jam that didn't set up. Add sour cream and it's a masterpiece.
* Ability to cut back on sleep meds. Downright happy about this! :j
1. Planting an old sink with suculents.
2. A bit of sewing. Altering a skirt for me and trousers for DH.
3. Finally winning an auction on eBay for a bag I have wanted for a long time.
4. Making meals from the fridge and freezer to use up stuff before we go on hols. :money:
5. Face Time with DD. she seems more cheery.
2 days of school left before the hols. Everyone else's school seems to have broken up for the summer:mad: At least the drive to work will be quicker!!!!!!
Have a lovely day