5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3 - Page 8

New Post Advanced Search

5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3

edited 18 July 2017 at 11:40AM in Old Style MoneySaving
11.3K replies 768.4K views

Replies

• emmwriemmwri Forumite
    60 posts
    Thanks for the welcome ampersand, I think I am just used to never having 5 mins to spare so have become very concise in my posting!!

Sounds like people have been enjoying some lovely OS pleasures. Travelling home from our holiday yesterday so my Monday pleasures were:
    1. A lovely bit of Cornish sun in the morning to relax in before we left.
    2. Watching DS1&2 playing in the pool together for hours all morning.
    3. No traffic at all during our 6 hours on the road, which made driving back so much easier for me.
    4. Stopping at the services for a picnic in the late afternoon sun next to a pond full of dragonflies.
    5. Coming home and having a cuppa and a cuddle with the cat before climbing into my own bed. Bliss!
    Aug 2017 GC Budget £180
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    1) Another 3 beautiful ripe figs from my fig tree this morning, makes 11 in all and many more still to come, I really love them!

2) Managed to give away all the bruised blackberries to a friend yesterday, they'd suffered from the heavy rain on Sunday and needed using straight away, she split them with her mum so no waste, fab!

3) Lovely drying day here so I'm putting all the warm throws and a couple of blankets through the wash in readiness for the autumn weather.

4) Noticed at 9.15 last night that it was beginning to get dark.....nights drawing in already? it is almost August though and it was quite a nice feeling.

5) Pair of Jackdaws woke us up this morning having a noisy conversation on the roof directly over our window, they make such an amazing range of sounds it sounded just like a conversation, I laughed like mad because it reminded me of all of us chatting on these threads, just got to love Jackdaws, natures clowns!
  • mhagstermhagster Forumite
    3.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pleasures for Tuesday.

Quick chat to friend from home...I'm getting better at getting dressed whilst holding a phone.

Work...it was Tueasy and I was busy! One of newspaper has a special offer on so I was busy collating everything. So nice to be busy!

Catch up with my Canadian friend....she can talk! ( now I can talk but I think she talks more! )

Home. Mini snoozette.

Letter from letter writing friend.

Bath.

Finished my first book in 5 months.

Chat with friend who's husband is in palliative care. He doesn't have very long left and I'm glad I called when I did.

A lovely email from our oncologist re the donation we are making, it made me cry. He said it was nice to think of OH and had put a smile on his face.

Have a good day.
  • Blackbeard_of_PerranporthBlackbeard_of_Perranporth Forumite
    7.1K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    This site token failed again. Does not work with ip6.

You'll just have to miss your daily grind from the mill in the life of BoP!

Too little. Too late!:beer:
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
  • Purple_kittenPurple_kitten Forumite
    2.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    1 I had a phone interview this lunchtime for the role I have everything crossed for that I applied for last night, they are phoning tomorrow with an interview date. :j

2 The work commute over and done for another day. 18 days thou I suspect less to go.:o

3 Tea was spag bol, very loaded with garlic we will be keeping vampires at bay tonight. But was more over for health reasons.

4 We’ve just won a new caravan attachment thing off the bay, DH put a random bid on, we thought we would be outbid as a certainty but nope a great result and an excuse for a day out to the coast.:D

5 I’ve just booked us to go out to a BBQ next week on a school day evening, it just feels like we need a change of scenery, things feel a bit on hold just now with work and DF commitments.:cool:
  • edited 25 July 2017 at 9:30PM
    FrithFrith Forumite
    6.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 July 2017 at 9:30PM
    Well done on interview, PK!

A day of rather severe ups and downs!

1) Not a bad sleep.

Then horrible dentist phone calls. It had taken me 2 or 3 weeks to psych myself up enough to even phone about getting my broken wisdom tooth extracted. Phoned and she is leaving on Friday! Then she phoned back and said my mouth is too small and there is not enough tooth for her to grab so I will have to go to enormous dentists outside Birmingham to be sedated. Cue tears from me so she invited me in for a chat...

2) Hens fine. I could see bigger son had been down earlier and fed them.

Then got phone call from bigger son that he was at the vets as one of the rat traps (though hidden under boxes/netting etc) had caught an OWL. It will be OK and went from the vets to a wildlife sanctuary to recuperate.

3) Stopped outside village church as the door was open. I have never been in (lived here 18 years) so the chap tidying up showed me around. It is one of the Victorian tin churches bought in kit form, so only one small room. Anyway, we were chatting and he is an organist (as is my mum) so I knew him when he said his name. I also asked if the logs outside the church were available so I got those for free - few weeks worth of firewood once chopped.

4) Took smaller son to football. (Strangely, though they are at their father's this week, I still have to drive them everywhere and pay for everything...)

Downside was having to speak to former mother in law to say I was taking smaller son to football. Smaller son gets stressed out because she is almost completely deaf (don't ask me why she won't get a hearing aid) so he got me to shout at her. Well, she looked the same as ever - clothes very dirty. She said, "You've put weight on since I last saw you - what a lot of weight you've put on". I said, "Probably - bye bye!" and I could hear smaller son's eyes rolling behind me!

5) Dentists for little chat. :-/ Got referred and will have little chat at big dentists tomorrow. What fun. My dentist is lovely. She did lots of looking and checking the minutiae of things I am worried about but I still kept nearly fainting. I nearly fainted in the waiting room just while they filled in the referral form! Ridiculous when you can give birth and forget to take paracetamol but can't even discuss one tooth.

6) Into town to see my school friend, stopping on the way to buy bike lights for bigger son after the bike light debacle of last Friday.

7) Falafel from the freezer with courgetti spaghetti for tea.

8) Cooked some beetroots that my brother brought up.

9) Listed things on Ebay.

10) Phoned Aunty S and will pop in to see her and have lunch tomorrow, as I will be round her way after seeing Brum dentist.

11) Watched Holby City.

Plasterers coming back tomorrow - hoorah!

Had an email from National Trust regarding not hearing anything back from my interview - a week ago tomorrow! - saying I might hear by Friday. They said that last Friday!
    Never took piano lessons
    But baby you're a grand
    And I will learn to play the good notes
    And tune you up the best I can
  • house_elfhouse_elf Forumite
    1.1K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Hello Peeps,

Monday
    1. Report finished and emailed off.
    2. Asda and Waitrose on the way home. Good coupon shopping. Collected some online shopping for hols too.
    3. Fish and chips for tea.
    4. More online shopping arrived at DH office. So I have a new hairdryer. DH GF has got mine and keeps forgetting to give it me back!:(
    5. DH has packed for hols. I haven't yet!

Tuesday

1. Last day of term.
    2. Unexpected presents from colleagues and students.
    3. Little more clarification of role for next year.
    4. Another report finished, but no photocopiers or printers, so can't scan to get stuff emailed today. Will try tomorrow.
    5. Nice curry for tea.
    6. Went to see Dunkirk. Very Good.
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
  • VJsmumVJsmum Forumite
    6.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning all, what a Welsh one it is, which is appropriate as i am going to Wales later...

Frith - ouchy, good luck at the dentist.
    House elf - quite fancy Dunkirk myself
    PK - good luck with the interview

Pleasures for yesterday

1. nice breakfast on the train to dad's and good dinner on the train back.
    2. walk along the beach - though brief was pleasant
    3. Dad was quite chirpy - though his memory is starting to be really shockingly bad
    4. Arranged for the council to take away our dead sofa next week. Part of the plan to get DD and her stuff in the house somehow and make it somewhere she wants to come back to live but in a way that we can deal with. She is a bit of a hoarder, i am not - and therein lies the problem.
    5. evening to myself as the rest of the family were away - kids in ICT and OH on a course. Watched Poldark on the big telly - a rare treat.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • mhagstermhagster Forumite
    3.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    'Tis Wednesday evening. A bit chilly and been showery on and off.

Work was okay...read through a 'woman & home ' magazine between the lulls. Don't usually get a chance to read mags!

Had to go to tax accountant for Australian Tax Return. I got a whole $11 back but had to pay out a lot for OH ! Just as well I love him!

Had to go to ghastly bank to pay in fundraised cash. Was easier to go there whilst in town rather than head out other direction. Saw ghastly woman and I know she saw me. Horrid! Anyway...I'm a much stronger person than I was 4 months ago and she's still a ghastly person!

Quick nip into supermarket ( well I was parked in their car park.)Just got fruit and veg really, will do my main shop on Friday when I meet friend as I also park in their car park!

Donated $500 to our hospital for research in to OH's particular cancer.

Been an expensive few days. $800 for car rego ( like road tax) and $500 deposit to fly my dog back to UK. I'm moving back at end of year. There...said it here so it must be happening!

Watched a bit of catch up telly, snoozed a bit, blogged a bit, snuggled my dog a bit, saw a beautiful rainbow and a stunning rose in my front garden.

Have a good day. PK Good luck with interview. Frith I had all four wisdom teeth removed under anaesthetic, was a patient in my own ward that I nursed in. Best to be referred to the right people.
  • emmwriemmwri Forumite
    60 posts
    Morning! Though it feels like afternoon I'm still in bed so late. OH and I stayed up late watching films on his last night off for the summer holidays before back to work tomorrow.

Frith - good luck at the dentist today.
    PK - fingers crossed for your call back and interview

Yesterday was a lovely day back home and I didn't have holiday blues at all as the sun was shining and the pleasures were many:
    1. Mum and her OH came round with the dog en route to Peterborough and we sat in the garden in the sun drinking tea.
    2. All holiday washing done and dried on the line
    3. Boys playing lovely together and went down to the park for a play.
    4. Everyone eating the same dinner and all enjoying it for once! Pie and mash again then I think!
    5. OH and I meeting the boys at the park and doing a bit of plant identification ready for foraging. Lots and lots of blackberries, though an elderly lady walking her dog said they get stripped very quickly so will have to keep an eye on them, lots of elderberries, what we think are hawthorns and a sweet chestnut tree. Quite a lot we couldn't identify using our book, hoping to have more of an idea when the fruit ripens. We still have the rest of the village to explore and I am hoping to find some crab apples somewhere to help with jam making!

It's chucking it down with rain here today though so might have ore of a home day than an out and about day as thes lots to get done in the house.
    Aug 2017 GC Budget £180