PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3

Options

Comments

• Purple_kitten
    Purple_kitten Posts: 3,032 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Digging deep for pleasures.

1 The surgeon at DF’s hospital was fantastic and couldn’t ask for better care.
    2 DH has now lost 3 and a half stone, I’ve lost 3 I have one more to go that is being very stubborn.
    3 Motivated I made grilled chicken for lunch and have cooking are 2 lasagnes.
    4 So glad I had the day off as we didn’t get back in until 6.30
    5 Sitting here with a homemade hair pack under a towel.

Dads surgeons were lovely and thankfully happy to call a spade a spade with no flowering up, we were expecting a longer timescale but they said depending on the success of the blood transfusion they have just done, if it doesn’t take over the next week or two he has days to weeks. I thought I was prepared, having already gone through it with mum, but I fell apart a bit. They provided tea and biscuits and we carried on discussing everything they were very happy that now they can just call on us. We asked for the pastor to visit dad during his time and no sooner asked than she appeared having been paged while she shouldn't have been there ironically fate says she was, as he finds comfort there and I like knowing that he can talk freely and be in company. Gutted. very sad, dealing with it as best I can at the moment inbetween tearful bouts.
  • Blackbeard_of_Perranporth
    Options
    Oh buffer. :heartpuls from Jenny to some nuts of PK
  • DundeeDoll
    DundeeDoll Posts: 4,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hugs to mhags and pk
    1) I too had my haircut vjsmum. Was wanting it short and just happened to be walking down main hospital corridor behind a woman in scrubs who had the very haircut. Confess to taking sneaky piccie with phone
    2) corn on the cobs for lunch - didn't know you could do them in the microwave
    3) bus down to pub to meet up with friends I've not seen for a while
    4) then mrpiano picked me up and mrstudent. Mr piano bought us all Indian except dd2 for whom he bought sausage n chips (sausage supper to mhags)
    5) and now in bed. Been a long week. Dying hair tomoz.
    MrsSD declutter medals 🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐
  • mhagster
    mhagster Posts: 5,210 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    PK hugs from down under...does that sound very wrong?

I don't think you are ever prepared emotionally..you might know it's coming with the sensible part of your brain but your emotions and heart deal with things differently. Do you have brothers / sisters or is it just you?

Take care of yourself and just spend what time you can with your dad. X
  • mhagster
    mhagster Posts: 5,210 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    DD I myself am looking forward to a pie supper!
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,156 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry to hear your news, PK. I hope this time goes as smoothly as possible for you and your dad.

Pleasures for what is now yesterday (Friday).

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Post plastering cleaning continued in earnest - for about 10 hours. All of kitchen done - shelves, trolley thingy, sink. All of my room done (what a mess!) Most of sons' room.

3) Hens ok.

4) Bigger son came home from his father's unexpectedly this afternoon. He has been there 5 days now (out of 7) and says they have not done anything or even left the house in that time. I do not really understand this as he used to go rather over the top with them with trips, gifts, cinema etc. Anyway, bigger son sawed up the logs I was given the other day.

5) Moved the turtles to the fish tank my friend gave me yesterday.

6) Did my mum' house insurance for her.

7) Didn't get that National Trust job! Had to phone head office in the end to get an answer - took 10 days. :-/

8) Took bigger son to his work. Picked him up at 10.30 and drove him back to his father's, stopping on the way so he could pick up cats eyes. There is one stretch where there are loads lying by the kerb.

9) Popped down to see parents' briefly as dad's school friend was there (and his wife) who I have known forever.

10) In bed with 2 hwb as it is so damp and cold. About to listen to Dead Ringers.
  • villagelife
    villagelife Posts: 3,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    PK very sorry I hear your news. Spend time with him know. Hugs to you.

Mhags- hugs to you and your family.

Been a while since I posted.

1. Back is much better and worked for a couple of days which I was then left exhausted! Work was reasonable. No support from managers but colleagues supportive which was nice.

2. Sold some things in eBay and posted them so they are out of the house. I walked to the post office to post them and picked blackberries on my walk home. Really enjoyed the walk and it was peaceful and met a lady with two lovely dogs.

3. A neighbour kindly offered to take me to post office as I left with a bag of parcels. I declined as wanted to walk but the offer was appreciated.

4. BlackBerry and apple crumble for tea which was delicious. It is comfort good which I needed.

5. Been clearing MIL house out of starting to before DS1 and his girlfriend move in. The house is full of junk and photos are everywhere. Most of the photos are loose and in every drawer and quality of them aren't good and should never have been kept. She has also kept cards from people she has never mentioned!

Been given tickets to An American in Paris for today's matinee so looking forward to watching it later.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 29 July 2017 at 11:36AM
    Options
    For a nasty moment, I thought I'd lost you. Gosh am I glad to be wrong!

Dundeedoll - thank you for a new thread! Fellow fan of Awkward Yeti here & phew bike check! Sometimes you need to forget to set the alarm & the lie-in is glorious. Is "wrong fingering for the left hand" a Must Fix, inconvenient or personal style? All best with the office! Love raspberry Afro idea - whose was the Lego? Asked dd2 to scope travel - what a joy to have sensible children! Spotting the very haircut & using phone for sneaky pic - genius!
    Frith - all the best to sis with teaching, even as "parents Tag you're It" goes up. Oh drat chilli chocolate - imagines feeding it to graceless interview panel. Boys & lights - argh - but John William Prom was a delight. Oh my, bigger son - is "not too bad" but "quite a lot of mopping up". Invasion of the Plasterers, eh? Ulp? Small niece sounds wonderful. Very best of luck with tooth & chat with Brum team. Glad smaller son equally clear on FMIL. Noone to backstop you post sedation? PM me: I can take leave & that tooth needs sorting with a team who can rohypnol you past the grim bit. Oops, turtlewash takes on new meaning. Hurrah plaster all OK, big clean complete (awed!) and new tank for turtles sorted. Well done bigger son sawing logs.
    Skint yet Again - you have a puppy?! By what name? Welcome! Hurrah triumph of printout over system & ultimate installation of gate. Tip trip & the laundry getting a good blow before rain - it does make a difference!
    VJsmum - what a cake! Lucky DD! There's a book in them there researches - excellent! A short but dramatic graduation ceremony? Flamingo is not subfusc but wow! Awed at OH cooking roast chicken, [& garden!] if kidnapped, pm me... DD seeing your point of view (for even a minute?) Applauds wildly & requests tips on technique. Dead sofa - oh imagination over the hills & in another county. Wurlitzer a fearsome thing but impressive at a distance.
    house elf - hope you're recovered? Trains & prosecco - there's a combination! A flamingo aficionado? Fun! Plan a picnic in early September so you can watch the little monsters being herded? No copiers or printers must have been a bit startling! Holiday time at last, pinecones & packing with depressed dog. We'll still be here when you get back!
    LaineyT - with you 100% on Ed S on GoT - lads' consensus was she should have killed them all... Lavender just a delight - pick a little & try shortbread? Rousing cheers on updating headstone - far too few women acknowledged at all. Cherry plums - yum! You beeswax your wooden furniture? Awe & wonder!
    Ampersand - coast & lightning! Must not covet your breakfast, so shall admire instead. The young, & paraphernalia. A wok to an SSSI beach? Very fresh goose egg! Oxford Aunts good folk - I worked for them, decades ago. A good mug is a joy - canny &, spotting & rehoming! I will be glued to radio when Blowers retires - drizzling with happy extended family memories with his voice very much a part. (Yes, we had a radio as a sort-of cousin.)
    juliettet - kittens are a force of nature, like lightning. Ponders double chocolate cookies as a substitute for oatcakes - seems like fun!
    BoP - bless you, you remind me what offspring shall be set to over summer holidays. Making much of their height, I shall set them to applying the appropriate emulsion to the walls! May your pastry return to obedience (all faith in your lightness of hand, but might the fats be getting Too Warm?) BoPsie checking your attire - not snickering here, honest. You've been handed the MSE Black Spot? Ampersand won't mind but what a chore! I don't think you can go wrong with Ursula, whereas Clooney can make a brew but? Client missing his shirt buttons <giggling here> - so glad you dodged the Black Spot for a moment. Admire the BoPsie in fine petal - splendid phrasing! Also shrewd investments with the bookie - atta gal! Love dynamite mushrooms - must educate eldest then step back...
    villagelife - may you enjoy your week off as you recover?! Rain has ite merits when the alternative is a watering can! Would you share your balckberyy & apple crumble recipe? As I prefer knowing the origin to using google & a pin - although a vouched for weblink works fine!
    mhagster - the first birthday - sending you yet more (hugs). Amused and impressed at DD2's study pal's choices. Selling the house? Massive indeed & tears reasonable. Atta gal Baby H - ease the horror of dollar sign eyes & keep hugging Haggis! Even though he will eat. I love your how your Christmas delights are not confined to December but shared to bring delight (& raise funds) at will. Hurrah reading! Poldark well worth repeated efforts. Awed & Admiring your lasagne! Trying to think how I'd dress if holding a phone & applauding your skill! You're Coming Home? Hurrah but yikes but above all, hurrah - back to your old home, needing your hands to bring it back to how it should be & children & Haggis coming too - it will be a circus, but it's the old family home.
    Mrs LW - samphire! Yum! Again, should not covet, will try to admire. Zebra dancing with Gruffalo - aw! Fresh from farm shop - admiring hard here. Jackdaws nattering - so much fun! We wore our mum's bridesmaids dresses as fancy dress for yars - a good dress keeps on bringing smiles. Tea is a vital pleasure! Mind, Not Having to Water is pretty good too.
    Purple kitten - so glad DF getting care that brings you peace of mind. Butterflies & Lidl buys all good news. Blimey your fiver exploded into veggies! Awed at DH drafting adverts - proper planning etc. Random bid on caravan bit paid off superbly if day out to coast a side reward! Mig welder grin, & hugs as DF's doctors call. Bad traffic, brilliant shopping & hot tub awaiting. Honest surgeons a blessing - all strength to you & them & your DH.
    kittikins - happy hols & all strength enduring Marvel... Blackberry & apple jam future walks?
    milasavesmoney - there is no greater gift than to cuddle a 4 month old so her parents can have some awake time & a hot meal together. Chuckling at granddawgs & feral cat. Overcoming jetlag in 72 hours? Possible but strict self discipline advised. Anticipation is a special treat! Clean front windows, Quoye for a fortnight, daughter planning to climb roof - yep, cocktails seem a good call.
    emmwri - Cornwall is such an amazing place to holiday in! Own bed however especially "ah!" after holidays. Well worth learning hedge foods - if you see elderly lady again, ask her to educate you? (Or head for Weald & Downland museum & do a course?!)
    Sparrer - hugs of welcome back to you and ToppyDog & your house (do not you & house *deserve* a treat & a deep clean?) Crash?! Yikes but so glad you're back with birthday (& cakes) & nice gf for DS.

OS Pleasures recently
    Waved to the tailor - and am coming the conclusion it is me that keeps daft hours..

"You look rough mum" - this afternoon nap lark appears not to work very well on me. Or the young flatterer is desperate to get out to a school awards evening & back without a parent. [Too bad!]

Delighted to see the Spanish Felipe on our screens - uproariously Tall! (The Spanish attempts at a coronation were very charming - as I recognised nods to how we do it & attempts to emulate & yet...)

"Adjust your tie so it covers the shirt buttons?" "He'll just move his shirt..." Distressingly plausible.

Gosh - a research historian in the kitchen is a thing of wonder - the saffron griddle bread looks like very small naan but has an elusive & yet somehow credibly medieval taste. Noone's willing to let me play with salt fish though, period authentic & devout though it undeniably is.

I can see nasturtium leaves where previously I tucked seeds!

Smashing work colleague has sent me borage seeds - all too late for Pimms this year but in time for me to try & nurture hopes for next year! Now planted in three (small) beds & two containers.

Son "it's raining" - as if that were Any Reason not to do something. Eat, drink, plant seeds, be merry, plan acts major & minor, sing songs, learn what a credit rating is - honestly, it's raining? [Harvest goosegogs!]

"Want to come with me to fetch brother?" "Where'd you take him?" "The abattoir, of course." - some days my willingness to do the Good Mummy thing wears a bit thin.

Poldark, & the frogs! The lads are a-whoop. As for "unrest", potential civil war undoubtedly simmering. The closing teasers, Yikes!

"Beans bacon & hot cross buns!" - boychick's idea of a slap up supper....

Waved to tailor as I scamper towards car & Blackburn - they have files that need me. I'm flattered!

My smart card so I can ride the Glasgow underground has arrived - interestingly it seems to have the same start numbers as my son's bus smart card... Mine has my photo, both were free.

My taste in herbal tea is up for criticism - but I have to admit that mint tea in the current clear plastic mug, does look worryingly like a fresh specimen. (A colleague observes st least no one will steal it. An FB friend congratulated me on my pregnant camel...) Must sort another mug! [Sorted!]

Only slightly short on steps so went for a stroll in the rain.

Waved to the tailor - honestly what a mad week for timings. His door was open to let in such breezes as would cooperate - some day I may venture in

Wow! Beloved found & lugged home a steal of Denby. Greater love hath no man than that he stop shopping for himself & lug chinaware home all in one piece.

Ah, scouts! Hurtling around & last seen forming (well, piling up on each other but giggling) a disorderly heap by the brick.

"Gone, all gone! The women & children too"<fake sniff> My son manages to make an heroic tragedy from a lack of tea bags. I am amused, impressed & minded to forgive him not immediately offering to excavate a new box from the stash. [Replenished & yes the cost of tea has gone up. Dashit.]

Green for hope, white for purity & purple for dignity - I'd not realised the suffragette colours came with meaning too. D'oh me...

Our lad on work experience reported his colleague was asked if he was gay "yes" "don't worry, you'll grow out of it!" - I guess bring 90 means you can skip political correctness!

Son shambling around (well, Saturday morning) when his father observed "you're wearing your mother's clothes." Son blinked somewhat, but blinked gratefully when I pointed out I was wearing my husband's (outgrown) stuff - apart from the underwear.

Not sure what aspect of the baby goats is most appealing - the cute bleat, the potential in their wool or the way they wolf handfuls of seedling rosebay willow herb...

Pinning down the year of manufacture of a pot from it's turner's mark.

"My first dragon clutches in its coffee" - y'know, I must either eavesdrop properly or get my hearing tested.

Lolling on mattresses to get a free pillow. (My existing delight is showing signs of my affection.)

All strength, courage, love to all as have need &/or can share!
  • bagpuss38
    bagpuss38 Posts: 704 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Gentle hugs for PK XX
    SIMPLY BE-££577.11:eek:
    Very BNPL - £353.00:o
  • Blackbeard_of_Perranporth
    Options
    Hugs from Jenny to all :heartpuls :heartpuls
    DfV. I has cupbored full of them!

5 Just got the worm mix out for Raffles and somehow BoPsie binned it. No problem, retrieved by BoP. Raffles warmed. He'll be back Monday when he's hungry! Twice this week, got flea'd earlier this week!

4 Watching cricket and they're off. Looking good. More later.

3 Breakfast was usual Snorker, best back, mushrooms, haricot beans in tom sauce. Star cut grilled toms. Hot buttered toast with marmite, topped with airburst poached egg.

2 Night BoP will be wanting a Marilyn. BoPsie has loaded box thing of sky with blessed George. Argh. Think Wobbleades will be provided!

Keep the same judgement you had before you realised you wasted five minutes musing about the sky blue ginger canary :rotfl:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback