PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3

Comments

• DundeeDoll
    DundeeDoll Posts: 4,894 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    missed yesterday cos decided i really should leave laptop at work and cannot remember password to get on with ipad. so for yesterday
    1) lift to work from mrpiano to find 10am meeting cancelled so dashed up to ninewells for 10am strategy meeting there. very good
    2) then back to city campus for phd meeting - good to hear your progress vjsmum this student submits december :-)
    3) then another meeting so a very late lunch which was the yummy hm pork sweet and sour
    4) after work went to functional fitness, my first trip to uni gym. 10 of us, 10 exercises, 45 seconds each then 15 seconds rest. cannot believe how quickly the 15 secs went! then we did it all again. good though
    5) then mrpiano picked me up on the way back from st andrews
    and for today
    1) mrpiano dropped me off on the way to st andrews
    2) good skype with oz masters student. had to do in top of tower cafe so indulged in another latte - half price cos before 10am
    3) 2nd trip to uni gym - an hour of hatha yoga. very restful
    4) meeting with head of admissions - he bought the coffee
    5) mrpiano treated me to fish and chips for tea
    now home, last 2 episodes of killing eve. what next?
    MrsSD declutter medals 🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,143 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 6 October 2018 at 11:08AM
    MrsLW - Ooo, I like the look of the Ivar5. I have an ancient Morso Squirrel which I have repaired several times over the years (new grate, mesh thing at the bottom, door glass, rope, 2 new baffle plates, several firebricks).

Pleasures for today (Friday).

1) No school for smaller son so had a lie in. Which made me feel sluggish!

2) Hens well. Took them leftover tea and cleaned their sleeping quarters out.

3) A horrible day homework wise. 11 pieces outstanding (hence smaller son staying at home to do them with me - he has been in detention for weeks). It took 5 hours to do 2.5 pieces. 4.5 hours of prancing about, pretending to be ill, falling over dramatically and moaning and 0.5 hours of actual work. He was so stressed by the whole thing but I have managed to take a video of him (secretly) which I can show to school on Monday as they have never seen the full autism shaking, slapping his own legs, pulling his hair stress.

4) I did pop out for a while to investigate a new nursery/tea room just up the road which is very nice but it can't possibly attract any passing trade!

5) Bigger son had a good day at college then went to the gym.

6) Fish and chips from the van for tea.

7) I did some weeding, gardening and tidying up outside. New downhill neighbour appeared and said he might be taking some more trees out. This is a good thing as in his garden (10 metres x 25) there are about 20 trees including a willow bigger than the house and a eucalyptus you can see for miles (literally). It already looks better after I paid to have the enormous fir tree cut down when the old neighbours were there.

8) Have been watching TV in bed for some time and will watch HIGNFY just now.
  • house_elf
    house_elf Posts: 1,073 Forumite
    Good Morning,

Yesterday

1. Returned to the gardens with my Thursday/ Friday group, and we finished putting up the picket fence. So cute. Very proud of them.

2. Afternoon spent working on our piano project. I will order glass shelving today, and it will be on EBay next week!

3. Dashed home early.........

4. Tickets for 'Any Questions'. If you listen to the repeat on Saturday, you will hear me clapping :rotfl: ......Pippa Whitford for Prime Minister!

5. Home via best fish and chip shop, but had to go out again to collect DS2 from town.

DS1 has just got home from work as I got up..... 'When did we get scaffolding?' .......'Yesterday'.......DS1 has bump on the head where he has walked into the end of a scaffolding pole :eek:

Have a lovely day :)
  • plumduff55
    plumduff55 Posts: 866 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Hi, can I join you?
    I have been a long time lurker on your thread and love reading all your posts. I started going to a meditation group on Thursday evening and really enjoyed it. A few of the members suggested writing a gratitude journal listing 5 things each day - so here I am :)

1) Got a lift to Ikea (30 miles away ) with dsil. Had free tea with my family members card and bought a very tasty 60p cinnamon bun.

2) On my way back via Glasgow I bumped into an old work colleague and spent the next 2 hours in John Lewis cafe. A lot more expensive than my Ikea snack but was great catching up.

3) I always have dinner at mums on a Friday and yesterday was salmon. Delicious

4) Walking home just before seven there was the most beautiful golden orange sky.

5) This ones from Thursday - I saw my first robins of the winter. Two were sitting on my front hedge, lovely till they started fighting :(

Have a nice day xx
    Debt free - Mortgage free - Work free ( in that order :) )
  • 'Lo PLUMDUFF welcome aboard the thread. It's lovely to come and just reflect on the things in life that have made me appreciative for the day, specially on days when life gets a little 'heavy' or 'fraught'. It makes my world somehow click back into place and is very settling xxx.
  • mhagster
    mhagster Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Good morning! I'm not long awake which is very late for me. Was wide awake through night so must have dozed off again.

Need to get a wriggle on and create a party wonderland for seven year olds. GN and her friends and her grandparents are coming this afternoon. But I've all day to potter around and get ready.

Yesterday was the day electricity arrived in the kitchen and extension! Hurrah! Your stove is connected were wonderful words. The electrician is a nice chap and just gets on with his work. We both had a bit of a moan abut builder, apparently this is the norm for him to move on to next project before current one finished. Stuff that should have been done for electrician hadn't been ( extractor fans) , positioning of sockets.

Went into town with DD2 . We had a nice cheap and cheerful lunch. I'd a mooch round the cheap charity shop ( the lady who manages is always a bit moany/ sensationalist and it's such a tiny place that you can't help but overhear but it's so cheap and good quality items! ) I got a lovely chunky knit cardigan which will be excellent for dog walking ( and has pockets which is even better) , a polo neck top and a top. Everything's a pound.

Nice dog walks. Just stunning tree colours and the bluest of skies.

Pottered in the garden! Wow! When I say garden I mean tiny corner that's not building site but I moved my big plant pots down near my patio doors...all they need is a patio! Labourer chap put my old slabs down in a stepping stone fashion the other day to allow me to get out to washing line! So they now have planters which are hanging on (just) to summer plants.
    Haggis and I both just loved being outside.

The niecelys arrived for late birthday tea. The unofficial opening of the extension! Our first family meal in it. Had made meringues in the new oven...they were fine, not my best so will have to work on that but a plop of cream and some tinned peaches hid any cracks! Had made a cheesecake night before and had bought a small chocolate cake earlier in week in anticipation of oven not being available ...I love that in all my photos there's an optimistic Labrador ! He's never far from food! GN loved her gifts and her party balloons and her Haggis dog who is never far from her either.

Was nice just to sit and appreciate a nice tidy space when everyone left. DS away to his mountains for the weekend and DD was upstairs so it was just me and peace and quiet and was lovely.

Right! I'm getting up! Have a great day :)
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,630 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    As always MrsLW’s eloquence hits the nail, welcome Plumduff

Friday pleasures,

Bed changed and sheets dried on line.

Over to see princess pony, we went for a walk around the forest and both enjoyed the change of scenery. Afterwards I watched her contentedly grazing in her field and thought about my brother, it would have been his 56th birthday. Miss him every day.
    Visit to nursery, finally decided on pale purple violas and white cyclamen for winter baskets, also picked up some spring bulbs, 3 for 2 :money:

Capt S heard that he had been asked back for final interview for a job he really wants, he had just about given up and pleasure was seeing his happiness.

Extra slice which always makes me laugh, followed by Gogglebox and then the day finished off with an hours bedtime reading in freshly made bed.
  • Welcome plumduff55 :hello: - looking forward to reading your posts :).

Frith - sorry to see that you had such a bad day with DS2. So hard when we're trying to 'get inside their heads' to fathom their reasoning :(. ((((BIGS HUGS)))) for you both!

My 5 for yesterday -

1. Got 2 loads of laundry done and out on line. Unfortunately, it rained without me noticing. Got it back in again - had to 're-spin' - and hang on the airer/radiator rails. All dry by night time :j!

2. Had a lazy day - didn't go out anywhere - my first day 'IN' for a full week. No wonder my BP was raised earlier in the week :(.

3. Need to get a new clothes prop and another airer - but money is tight until payday :(. Then had an :idea: - £25 gift Love-to-Shop voucher which includes Argos :j! Will go there tomorrow after church :T.

4. Fishfingers, chips, mushy peas for evening meal last night - followed by Emmerdale and Corrie :j.

5. Tackled the repair of my Mulberry Handbag - turned out to be easier than first thought. I thought it was a snapped rivet, but it turned out to be the 'head' had come off a screw. All beautifully fixed now :j!

Enjoy your day, everybody :T!
  • mhagster
    mhagster Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Bedtime. And I was glad to climb in!

Busy old day.

A bit of a houseful for GN birthday party part 2. Some of her friends, all the niecely people plus N-I-L mum and dad and my friends . Got a bit too noisy for me at times.

Girls made their own cupcakes. I had little bowls of just what they needed to make them. Then they decorated and then GN caught her finger in my chair just at candle blowing out time! Much tearage!

A most beautiful day . Blue sky , gently warm sunshine. Glorious Autumn colours. Robin in my garden. Though he wasn't talking to me because of the general builders site look. But maybe as I moved my pots around it looks more like a garden again. Nice to see him.

Met friends when out with the dog, so nice chat with them.

Nice to see everyone . Nice to see everyone go!

I have a job! Starting in a couple of weeks for just a few weeks but will get me back into the swing of working life! DD2 also starting too. Hurrah! Very nice phone interview! The gap year is not eternal but has been very benificial.

Painter phoned . I'll come on Monday... Guess who will be at B&Q for opening time tomorrow.

A good day :)
  • My 5 for today are

1) Wakening up to a lovely bright, sunny morning.

2) After lunch I went for an hour's walk to the Country Park that adjoins our village. It was beautiful - the sun was streaming through the trees with only the sound of the crisp autumn leaves underfoot.

3) Whilst walking I came across another walker with her two dogs who had gotten herself lost. I walked with her for 5 minutes till we reached an area she recognised and off they went.

4) I microwaved a home made lasagne from the freezer and cooked mixed root vegetables in the actifry for dinner. A quick and easy dinner but very tasty.

5) I always have a wee drink on a Saturday night. Unfortunately there's no Drambuie left so I had to make do with my second favourite- a Johnnie Walker whisky. And now I'm ready for bed.

Goodnight xx
    Debt free - Mortgage free - Work free ( in that order :) )
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback