PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    1) Our purchaser is lovely, so easy to deal with and she's a gardener so I know the garden will be used and the produce from it made best use of.

2) A trip to the city this morning, bus on time both ways and John Lewis had the sheepskin rugs I wanted for DD2's belated birthday present.

3)Lovely walk after lunch with Cooks, the acacia trees that are dotted round the village are in blossom at the moment and the perfume is glorious.

4) Bird song in the sun, in treetops so dense with leaves that you can't see who is singing but the song is beautiful.

5) We have a SOLD sign in the front garden, didn't see them do it but it appeared late yesterday afternoon and makes me smile whenever I look at it.
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,566 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 25 May 2018 at 9:11PM
    Options
    FRITH - pm, contains one lert, due next week.
    Wonderful find, quarry tiles - hope you can salvage and save. If anyone can, you - qualfied archaeologist, can:-) and lucky coin find, too!
    #
    1. Terrific DID this a.m.. Ignoramus moi. & had never heard of Dr Sue Black. What a life! What a survivor! What an achiever!
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b3b4m5

2. Down back early, doing birdie restocks in pouring rain. Little robin came closer and closer, quite unconcerned. Chatted to him, explaining what I was doing - bready things, seedy refills, water trays and baths. He then fluttered up to currant bushes, hopping straight onto &'s left forearm!!! Stayed 3-4 secs. Couldn't believe it, said Thankyou, found tears in eyes.

3. Still early, for 10 minutes watched thrush having vigorous spa away day in one of the water baths. LOL moment when she flipped head over heels and landed on her back with a BIG Splash. Took her a fair few seconds to right herself, preen herself back to dignity and leave. & replaced 2 litres.

4. Luckily, Raffles knows emporium jaffa cake single packets price is unbeatable atm. 50p for 10 & has 2 pkts for Lullingstone Castle Kent-ish w/e. Oh, tippy toes do exist, bop, so that's a one biscuit penalty per daily lunchbox next week.

5. Great cricket listening today, went well with mowing and gardening and composting and laundering and ironing, beneath a strangely murky sky. Feeling hungry now, so will munch then set off, having actually done many things today. Not quite sure how, but done is done and it's a good feeling, esp. as car rental restitution+refund seems to be in reassuring hands.

5a. & is apparently now part of closed group on book of face!!!;-))), this being the same & who does not do social networking.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/ISIHAC/?notif_id=1527140732583065&notif_t=group_r2j_approved
    Happy days indeed. Vaguely recall mention of Mrs Trellis and blue forked custard in application.
    #
    Welcome to you, newbie Hopeless C
    Ah, house Sold, Mrs LW - and to a keen gardener) Best of both worlds:-)
    #
    Everyone enjoy a reviving break and safe travelling, if that's part of it.
    Next week, & is in full AB mode, again in The Alma, when Les Bleus play us in 3 Tests. Moderate inner bi-lingue conflict will occur, but not really -
    http://allblacks.com/fixtures
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• mhagster
    mhagster Posts: 5,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yet another glorious day.
    Lovely doggy walk first thing. With a chatty six year old.
    Slimming club , weight back on. Sigh. But love the company!
    Lunch with DD2 s best friends from when she was little.
    Went to lidl for first time since I got back. It's on other side of town . Had a £5 off £30 spend. So got a lot for that. Will be back.
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,195 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks, Ampersand - we shall keep an eye out! Could identify the coin this evening - it's a 1945 half penny. Quarry tiles have come up very nicely - pictures on FB. The look better for the rain we've had today - 17 hours and counting.

One pleasure (I think) from yesterday - took bigger son to a private podiatrist as his feet have always looked strange and he has toenail, verruca and other problems. Always been sent away by the GP (to be fair, have only asked them twice in the 15 years since the toe nails deteriorated).

She was shocked! He was born with flat feet (no one ever picked this up) and the bump on the side of his feet that we had always laughed at and called his vestigial toe is actually bone poking through where his arch has collapsed completely. She did some whittling and whirring with a polishing drill thing and he's got foot stuff and some substantial insoles. Presumably his aching hip may improve now...

Pleasures for today (Friday).

1) Not a bad sleep, though woken early to take bigger son to work for 7am. He helped his friend's dad today.

2) Hen OK.

3) I was at work for 8.30 for the world's longest exam. Eventually finished at 12.30.

4) Tree surgeon came (another quote) and I did not laugh when his quote was £200 more than yesterday's man. Now the waiting game begins to see when and if yesterday's man (hereafter Guy Martin) actually phones back with a date... I must say Guy Martin man was very nice, better than today's man who had an aggressive round head.

5) It's half term!

6) Had a bit of a tidy this evening - lots of washing then washing of trainers, tidying, hoovered then steamed the floors and cleaned the stairs.

7) Watched Gogglebox, picked bigger son up from his pool matches and will now watch HIGNFY.
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    Morning, what a lovely thread

2) Won a pair of gardening gloves and 6 packs of seeds in a competition

5) DD has got a new job

Things looking good this rainy morning

Hopeless Case, love these two pleasures. I used to do lots of competitions & had some really lovely big wins but perversely I quite often got greater pleasure from the small wins - a coffee cup, a blow up banana :rotfl:, a CD, a t-shirt, voucher for a Box of Ready Brek & even a box of Acupressure Strips :rotfl:

Good luck to your DD re new job:)

Pleasures since Tuesday 22nd in no particular order

Warm/hot sunny days Tues to Thurs in France, & then a lovely day today. :):)

Managed to get nearly everything sorted re the French House departure - few bits to do now we are back in London

Sad to leave French homestead but sooo happy to return home :j

Sitting in my own garden on my new to me garden furniture & seeing my peony plants thriving - not planted but one white & one deep pink compliments of the birds :rotfl:

Watching the birdies & the squirrels :)

Just pottering even though my house looks like a warehouse :( but knowing that I have an excuse - rather unwell atm :( & knowing that slow & steady wins the race :rotfl: or there are matches :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Seeing a bat in my garden for the first time ever :T:T

DSis liking her newly decorated room - even though it is a third the size of the room she is used to :rotfl:

Cheesey beans on toast

Managing to keep my kitchen tidy under extreme duress :rotfl: I will have one tidy room in my home :D

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £166.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £50.00; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • house_elf
    house_elf Posts: 1,073 Forumite
    Options
    Good Morning,

We seem to be sitting inside a cloud this morning. It is very quiet, apart from the blackbirds singing.

Yesterday

1. Prediction of showers turned into torrential rain, so no trip to the garden today. We stayed in school, and sold some seedlings, made some gnomes and filled some gaps in our accreditation. It felt bitty, but got lots done, and the students were kept busy all day.

2. Wrote an epic email about my role for next year. It won’t change anything, but I felt better for having my say.

3. DD sending nice pics from Greece. She seems to be having a good time so far. First shows have been good. :j

4. Made Tom Kerridge lasagne for tea.

5. Watched Dead Pool in preparation for Dead Pool 2. (Reminded me of a parent telling me proudly about letting her son and his friends go to the cinema to see it on their own. Little did she know, it wasn’t your average Super Hero movie....:rotfl:)

Plans of cutting trees down are dashed, so will EBay instead.

Have a lovely Bank Holiday :)
  • Hopeless_Case
    Hopeless_Case Posts: 949 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Hopeless Case, love these two pleasures. I used to do lots of competitions & had some really lovely big wins but perversely I quite often got greater pleasure from the small wins - a coffee cup, a blow up banana :rotfl:, a CD, a t-shirt, voucher for a Box of Ready Brek & even a box of Acupressure Strips :rotfl:

Good luck to your DD re new job:)

Pleasures since Tuesday 22nd in no particular order

Warm/hot sunny days Tues to Thurs in France, & then a lovely day today. :):)

Managed to get nearly everything sorted re the French House departure - few bits to do now we are back in London

Sad to leave French homestead but sooo happy to return home :j

Sitting in my own garden on my new to me garden furniture & seeing my peony plants thriving - not planted but one white & one deep pink compliments of the birds :rotfl:

Watching the birdies & the squirrels :)

Just pottering even though my house looks like a warehouse :( but knowing that I have an excuse - rather unwell atm :( & knowing that slow & steady wins the race :rotfl: or there are matches :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Seeing a bat in my garden for the first time ever :T:T

DSis liking her newly decorated room - even though it is a third the size of the room she is used to :rotfl:

Cheesey beans on toast

Managing to keep my kitchen tidy under extreme duress :rotfl: I will have one tidy room in my home :D

MrsSD

Thanks - I'm really happy, about my little stash of goodies and the job :):):):)
  • Hopeless_Case
    Hopeless_Case Posts: 949 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Morning and happy Saturday :):)

My 5 things:
    -Resisted paying £8 for a (lovely) fancy geranium and got a pack of seeds for £1.29 instead

-Saw a bullfinch on the lawn outside the back door

-My dwarf sunflower seedlings have survived their first night in pots on the patio without being even slightly nibbled by slugs or snails

-A major road near us was closed yesterday and I was dreading the drive to work but the roads were empty - people must have taken the day off or worked from home :)

-DS has a couple of really neglected trough baskets at his house, I've been splitting and growing herbs and nasturtiums and ivy and some of the dwarf sunflowers for him and it's all ready now and I'm going to redo them, really looking forward to it :D.
    I've got some free water retaining crystals from our water company so I can get the cheapest compost and mix them in and it'll be a bit more resistant if he forgets to water
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Welcome Hopeless Case
    Ouch on poor DS’s foot Frith

Friday pleasures,

Woken up early by lovelorn pheasant, still mate less but has at least managed to stay away from nearby guns.

My Dutch honeysuckle is covered in buds, anticipating the smell already.

Under &’s strangely, murky sky I rode and by the time finished I was beetroot red and very hot, all evening we expected a storm but nothing arrived.

Finally got round to picking up SH copy of Mary Lovell’s bio of the Mitford sisters and am already enthralled.

Sat on back doorstep late, trying to get some cooler air and watched bat fly around house whilst small dog chased moths.
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,970 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Morning all

Welcome, Hopeless Case

Pleasures for Thursday

1. Up and out on the early train to London. good walk to station and then to regent street
    2. course was... OK the real pleasure was leaving early enough to get to ICT at a reasonable time. For the sake of leaving one hour early, I got to ICT three hours early
    3. Fast day was fairly easy today - chia pudding for breakfast, egg salad for lunch (i find university sandwiches very easy to avoid) and a planet organic salad for tea
    4. Got lots of work done on the, in total, 6 hours of train journeys
    5. Watched ambulance. WHat an incredible programme with incredible people that is.. :T

And yesterday:

1. Booking clerk training. Had forgotten everything :o but managed to pick most of it up.. I think one more training session and i'd feel comfy flying solo
    2. Nice chilli with avocado and beetroot for tea. chilli came from the freezer so no cooking.
    3. went and booked a table for the cafe bar for tonight - met some friends on the way back so had a chat
    4. Actually did quite a bit of research - some when it was quiet between trains and some when I got in.
    5. All the heartwarming 'home to vote' tweets and stories and people funding strangers to travel back to Ireland to vote. looks like it's paid off too.:T

Have a nice day all - i am awaiting the arrival of friends and we are supposed to be going for a walk this PM, but it's looking rather overcast.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure