PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3

Options

Comments

• Blackbeard_of_Perranporth
    Options
    house_elf wrote: »
    5. BoP Discussion on Weekend Woman’s Hour about dieting.....cheered when the academic from Bham Uni said dieting was proven to be waste of time, fake food was money making industry, and we should just eat ‘PROPER FOOD’. :j
    And here is BoP today having a ready meal! Fish pies made last Sunday!

5 Sink Inn. Drain for sink failed last eve, and BoP was lucky only to slice his finger! All repaired this morning with visit to fix of screws and no tears!

4 Last night, dispite disaster, wobbleades were consumed vigourously! Sticky chickens and bitsers were wolfed down. All done with sliced finger!

3 Was at the emporium early, as had sink to fix, and people were queueing up to get into S! Really! easter Sunday is only a few weaks away and I suppose they were clearing the shelves. Mrs cannot cook was inn front at w8rs, with ready mash, two chickens and steam veg! See above about proper foods!

2 Nite as said we is having another fish pie made last week! Served with peas of mush, salad. Soup and home made ginger orange chocolate sponge! Served with fresh proper stoved lumpy custard!

Build your own version of the Life of BoP here ebery day!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    1) Coffee at the garden centre followed by a country lanes pootle now the roads are clear of snow.

2) Lovely Cookie walk this afternoon and not having to wrap up like a Michelin man because it's warmer by quite some margin today.

3) Being alive, under-rated by many I feel and life is so amazing in all ways.

4) Finding both Zebra and little O presents for amusement when we visit in a couple of weeks time, it's going to be our Ruby Wedding and we don't do big but we are having a family gathering at a not too swanky eatery to celebrate but mainly to see everyone and the pickles.

5) Walking the footpaths today and noticing that the flowering currant bushes have all popped out flower buds, many flower buds. I think when spring does come this year it won't be a gradual affair, it will arrive with a flourish.....soon I hope !
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    What ho all! Miword this weather, eh? RL hammering at the door so will post & placate - with huge thanks to all who post!

OS Pleasures recently
    Trying to quietly wake a couple of sons whilst leaving others asleep - tricky. Still, the most alert one has been tasked with "setting a good example" so the yells should be muffled.

Miword, seeing your "didn't quite mean it" possessions sell on eBay!

Son been given a very multifunction shovel/pick/hammer/saw thingummy. "Have to get him something equally good now" excellent to hear son has proper approach to reciprocity!

Amazon customer service online is smooth as a peach. I was afraid I was stuffed but they've sorted it & apologised & refunded me!

Aliens. I still jump at bits. Still cheer at bits. The menfolk alongside have learned not to say some things aloud about Burke, Carter J... "Harsh language" "close personal friend" & other quotes are long integrated into family language, along with some very vintage puns.

Father Brown, Lady Felicia: "what would she wear it with?" (It was not a very beautiful cross.)

Happy cricket season! OK in nets at present but good luck! And may the soul who borrowed my cousin's jacket as he played have the grace to hand in my aunts engagement ring & my uncles signet ring, cherished talismans of parents lost.

Welshcakes, homemade with extra allspice & nutmeg - seriously yum!

The cherry tree adorned with real snow looks glorious. Elder two lads gave a Snow Day, youngest does not & is wearing his own thundercloud... Aged Parents safely getting up to a boiled egg & not planning going out!

Officially sanctioned Working From Home - so tv playing Planet Rock loud, files dutifully copying (laptop on pool table) & teapoint has all the milk I could wish for as I restocked it yesterday in anticipation. Heating off but fleeces on & Simpsons converse trainers (so not office attire!)

Wow the Moon, bright light on snow highlighting snow on hills & houses, trees & toys. Cold yes, but beautiful.

Winter is here. The boiler froze up & took kettles of boiling water & ferocious language to sort. Two days working at home (Yeay!), second made surreal by intermittent connectivity as too many WAH for system.... (Surely only my lot?)

To the hilarity of everyone else present, the glitter ball rolled off its perch & attached my knee. Son asked after it...

Riffled through change & identified what looked a credible but iffy 50 pence. Turns out it's a commemorative of the coin designer Ironside, so I nearly swapped out a collectable! (My life is so exciting.)

Appalling dark humour from chaps regarding Rochdale assistance to those stuck on the M62. We live at one end & know to treat that stretch with respect.

Son with new earbuds, exploring the packaging "what a time to be alive!" & as the purpose of the tiny clip is revealed "it's a wonderful age we live in". (Irony? Oh I do hope so.)

Today is Holi, the Hindu festival marking the start of spring. A happy thought as I defrost cold toes & son recovers from scaling 3 part ladder to wire the down pipe back into place. Other throw coloured powders, we shudder around hot chocolate...

Husband has pulled all sorts of muscles walking in mukluks when expecting high leg combat ankle support. (This weather *really* is all about the right kit.) He's being very brave until he has to move.

Ladder climbing lad is leafing through the Go Outdoors mail-out with a commentary that almost merits a stand up routine. And an admonition that Parental Advisory translates to "not in front of your mother".

Seeing the resupply shopping put away, the cash stash refilled, the car cleared & solidly parked. I can go back to calmly hunkered down!

Cries of "you do *know* how big the freezer is?" have been met with a "your male brain is supposed to be better at processing space - on you get".... There is still snow out there if they get desperate. [No - just a hefty strew planned!]

Supermarket targeting the ignorant with "soft touch" labelled womenswear. Saw, smiled & thought "like heck" - a more blandly misleading generalisation they would struggle to find.

Boiler coaxed into rebooting without boiling enough water for a cottage maternity unit.

Right. Child making Distinctly Agitated noises
    All health, strength, love, luck & hwbs as needed to such as care!
  • mhagster
    mhagster Posts: 5,248 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 4 March 2018 at 10:56PM
    Options
    A much quieter day today and just really tidied up after yesterday.

The niece-leys were here until midday. Still need to go and put bedroom back together again! ( spare bed had been pulled out) need to hang up washing so do need to do it.

A surprise delivery of flowers from church .

Watched DN's wedding DVD. It's been a long time coming ...after many emails and empty promises it was finally sent after a name and shame of business. Lovely to watch it and a few wee tears.

We had takeaway for tea. A bad case of CBA.

Drizzlley rain seems to have washed the snow away. Though we had big thick flakes this morning.
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,190 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Pleasures for today (Sunday)

1) A lie in.

2) A thaw - hoorah! Made the snow horrid. Instead of being nice and crunchy, it looked good on the surface then your foot went through into 25cm of cold slush. :-/

3) Hens much perkier. Took my car halfway then parked. Got it stuck in the snow turning round... 2 men in different cars stopped to push me out.

4) My brother in law's car is not working but he has worked all weekend (taking my sister's car) so I took sister and niece to Sainsburys for lunch and shopping. Caught in absolutely torrential rain as we left!

5) Burritos for tea.

6) Bigger son is on top form again (a small lapse) so is making all sorts of plans.

7) In bed and will listen to the radio in a bit.
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    Hi everyone, late again:-

Sunday’s pleasures

1. After an absence of a week or more the ring necked parakeets have returned - six of them graced us with their presence:rotfl:

2. At least one squirrel has returned to the garden - no idea where the other three are:o

3. Nice chat with the neighbour who works abroad during the week - he is having his bathroom & cloakroom refitted & decorated. So informing us of two weeks of noise.

4. Hm sweet potato, red pepper & chilli soup with hm croutons :drool: (brother-in-law grew the chillies). Used up a yellow pepper & a stray potato!

5. Bags packed for our trip:T usually we leave it to the day of departure & then panic:eek:

6. Lovely warm bath & managed to get the tangles out of my waist length hair in less than 20 minutes:j How it gets tangled when it is in a permanent plait I do not know:o:o

7. Cup of cocoa, then off to bed.

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £166.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £50.00; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • villagelife
    villagelife Posts: 3,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Snow thawing.
    1. Spent time in the garden and it felt warm with the sun out. All the daffodils seem to be recovering. I could see the grass too.

2. Saw MIL briefly. Still having the same questions asked with different responses. She was worried about having to walk in the snow! The snow had totally disappeared where she is and she hasn't walked in over a year now!!

3. Went to watch rugby. We won but it wasn't entertaining but talked to a few people there which was enjoyable.

4. Met DH cousin and husband for a meal and DS1 came too. Much laughter and good food.

5. Quick trip home on M25 which makes a change.
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,659 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Sunday pleasures,

Up early and good to see the thaw had already started.

Suspect the bird nesting has started, the blackbirds are digging up the moss under kitchen window and have seen sparrows going in and out of the box.

Roast pork for lunch followed by the pink rhubarb roasted in port and sugar syrup, oh my.

Good chat with pals at the yard, by this time the rain had started so instead of being cold we were soaked through!

Current read is set in Cumbrian Dales, making me wish for hols in LD
  • Blackbeard_of_Perranporth
    Options
    5 Quite impressed with my chocolate orange ginger sponge yesterday. Well filling with lumpy custard! Recipe was like spotted !!!!, without the bits! BoPsie was well sated. Tum was not rubbed as BoP’s eczema was bad over the weekend! Luckily BoP has paraffin for it, just like old Esso Blue! All washed up in the fixed sink!

4 Smart device for measuring the gas and electric is say we are not over budget today! In layman’s terms, it is not cold outside! But it made me ponder! As most people do not know what a kWh is, never mind a Btu, or a kW! What would they do knowing the nice device, provided free at your expense, suddenly tells granny she is over budget? She will panic and turn the heating off! Another grate advance for the keepers of the poor to keep them poor! Just like I pointed last weak! The girl down the street with her coat on, and outside in the bin of waste paper the remains of five delivered pizza! With Jimmy the Cook this moaning nagging about foods of the poor, well Jimmy the Cook, guess what! They’re still poor. And you wonder why! So all that shouting about some turkey bits and baked beans, has not had any effect at all. Cheerio Jimmy the Cook! Not once do I recall watching him, but I gather he has not once told people how to cook simply and efficiently, no he is just another media stool, like others, that fantasise on belittling peoples habits for the tasteless gawping on television.

Now as BoP has minded you all, get your heating fixed. What should it be?
    Electric general usage 3,300 kWh per anum
    Heating (Gas or other) 12,500 kWh per anum
    You will use more heat in the winter! Got that?
    Current deals should be around 3 to 4 delivered pizzas a month, or about £70!

Get Fixed. Get insulated. I wont tell you again. Fit a thermostatic time switch and get rid of the thermostatic radiator valves, they’re useless On you’re stitched dot con there are deals there. Use it! In years of the politicos saying hot air about it, still people pay over the odds!

3 That is the rant over again! Now I is back at the mill, and last weak, the poor gaffer of the mill opposite decided to rant and write to us all with his issues! Poor man! Someone nicked his parking space! So toys out of cot. So this morning, one of his labourers turns up, parks in wrong place and he want to warn us about parking. I think not! So he wanted us all to watch our backs, yet at our mill, we do not have a problem as we are adults! Still, good to see that general dobs bode has issued him with a ticket!

As for those inn the office next to the social worker dictate things like limit the car spaces as we all come in by the luxurious public transport and live locally! Not! The nice bus lane runs on empty to the mills as the bus was too uneconomic to run from the chuffer station that is closed in the holidays because of the electrification! No people don’t move, not because the want too, but because they cannot. Children at school, no mortgage, whatever! Yet the worker next to the social worker has not cottoned on!

2 And that ends the rant! You will be wanting to know all about BoP’s Luncheon Box today. As I now pack it with goodness, you are assured it is brimming with proper foods! Biscuits of chocolate covered oats, nobs to yous, Bourneville chocolate, Applewood cheese, and salad. Proper foods and good for you!

That is the world put on its side again for you!
  • mhagster
    mhagster Posts: 5,248 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It is still just daylight at 6.35pm and was light at 6,30am hurrah!

Lovely chat with DD1 first thing. It was her first day back at uni.

Drove for first time in a week. Went to T as needed dog food and a few bits and pieces. Bought Easter eggs on offer and they are now in the garage.

Made tablet ( Scottish sweet) on request for a friend. It was perfect! Delivered it in the afternoon ...was just popping in but popped back out 2 hours later.

Big dog walk with son and hairy son. Still snow on the country lanes but no icy wind which was much more pleasant.

Had not done washing over weekend so much to be caught up on today. Two loads on clothes airers and one outside which was almost dry.

My Australian magazine I have on subscription delivered from DD1 with a few bits and pieces added in the pages.

Made gammon joint, roast parsnips, carrots, butternut squash , sprouts and peas for tea and the tiniest amount of cheese sauce just for me. Delicious.

Lovely card from one of my oldest friends. Has obviously been stuck in the post somewhere but lovely words for it being a year since OH's died.

Popped down to friend/ neighbours to return borrowed prosecco glasses. Quick chat at doorstep.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback