PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3

Options

Comments

• gran3
    gran3 Posts: 239 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Trying times. Well done on coming through them.xxx
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    Continuation of today’s pleasures

5. 3 foot high pile of ironing DONE - just admiring it before I put it away as all folded Marie Kondo way!

6. Just about to watch one of my favourite films ‘Kingdom of Heaven’ - I love the music & I can gloss over the annoying bits of really modern language!

7. Reading your pleasures

Stay safe & warm everyone.

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • DundeeDoll
    DundeeDoll Posts: 4,910 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mrssd i have decided to try a Marie Kondo spring clean this year
    1) 5 meetings today were cancelled or moved to online one by one so got to work at home yay
    2) snow plough which you may remember woke me at 6:15 yesterday unsuccessfully trying to get up our road came back with grit and determination. went up our road 5 times, 1st time very slowly.
    3) told mrpiano we should go to tesco before road redisappeared. we needed dog food and bread flour.
    4) lovely chat with canadian student, then walked dogs with dd2
    5) super evening with the girls enjoying the fire, candles and music (Bowie, Lou Reed, Cat Stevens and now Simon and Garfunkel, all courtesy of youtube. And now time for bed. Night all.
    MrsSD declutter medals 🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,172 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh, it's so cold!

Pleasures for today (Thursday).

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Hens OK and Barbara still going... They had warm broccoli cheese leftovers for breakfast and hot muesli for tea.

3) Got plenty of jobs done - floors, complete kitchen clean etc.

4) Phoned bigger son's college to book parent eve and various other bits.

5) Got outside jobs done very quickly - logs in, rubbish out. -7. My brother's header tank (?) froze so he had no water for his hens. He went to the barn, ran the tap and the drain was frozen so he had a little flood!

6) Spoke to mum and dad on the phone who have been on holiday in Cornwall this week. They went on the train so their journey home tomorrow is looking unlikely...

7) Bigger son's college shut at 2 (snow) but he managed to get to a nearer town. I picked him up from there. Smaller son had his first ever after school detention so we had to sit in town for 2 hours waiting for him. Managed to get up the very steep hill into the village with 2 small and 1 massive slides.

8) Weather set in 5pm-ish. No huge quantity of snow yet but what there is seems to be all tiny ice fragments and it is blowing and drifting. A snowplough has gone past but no one has been through the village since about 7 and the roads are impassable now. School and college have already said they will be closed tomorrow.
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Skint_yet_Again Posts: 7,595 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 2 March 2018 at 5:37AM
    Options
    Just popping in to let you know I am ok. Thank you for thinking of me. Mums funeral was yesterday, we've had lots of snow, a bitterly cold day warmed by the love and kindness of friends and relatives. A lovely celebration uof life service and much laughter and tears. No internet here and data allowance almost gone will post again when I can and when feeling stronger. Stay safe in the snow / gales everyone x
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • mhagster
    mhagster Posts: 5,225 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    skint good to 'see you' and I'm glad ( if that's the appropriate wording , though I think it is) that you were able to celebrate your mums life. Hard day to get through but a bit easier with family & friends around you.

It's blowing a hooly out there! I don't want to get up to see if there's more snow as the dog will think it's time to get up!

Enjoy your Friday everyone!
  • house_elf
    house_elf Posts: 1,073 Forumite
    Options
    Morning!

Recent Pleasures...

1. Had a bit of a meltdown at work, as there is too much to do, and I was given yet another task. All sorted out by nice boss, who unfortunately, is leaving at Easter.

2. I have a cold. :( The pleasure being, today is a snow day, and I can work from home.

3. Boiler has broken :( DH has lit a fire and we can use DD shower. We will survive until someone comes to fix it. I hope :o

4. DD having a good time as a Snow Ranger in France.:j

5. EBay sales.....decluttering and a bit of cash. :j Will try to list a few things today in between planning and training.

6. Been to see Black Panther and the Shape of Water this week. All cheap tickets and take our own snacks, so not super expensive.

7. Another visit to the Physiotherapist. He is a magician.:A .......I have exercises to do and need to do some exercise twice a week. :(

8. Managed quite a bit of HM cooking this week, which makes me happy. :)

Stay warm and safe. :)
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,646 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hey Skint, good to know you are doing ok, please take care.
    Lovely words from your friend Mhags.

Thursday pleasures,

Bitterly cold, we uncovered the mini from snow and went into horsey town, roads not too bad but pavements like ice. Shops were pretty empty but we stocked up on fresh veg, bread and dog food.

Handing over parking ticket to other driver.

Heard from yard, princess pony in for another day but happy enough with big hay net.

Friends in next village posted pictures on FB of the snowdrifts, flat fens plus strong winds!

Eldest hollow legged one dropped in for cuppa and cake.
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,565 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 March 2018 at 12:33PM
    Options
    Well, where did start of this post go?
    Re-do, &.
    #
    Began, querying likelihood of a Lenten lunch go-ahead, with an 'If so...

1. Pungkin chunks cooked c.6 bells can be souped mostly via this beeb Good Food recette
    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/7730/pumpkin-soup

2. Big apology and climb-down and refund from hideous, disgraceful water company, known for their filthy business practice. & has always paid ahead, is always in credit for all utilities, currently over £700 and £400 with other two.

3. About to wander out, if poss., see if walk to surgery and store possible - a few miles. Deliberately used last milk earlier, to force issue/trek:-)

4. Laughter listens this morning -
    Love Julius Hutch [late, lamented Peter Jones].
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00sqlnp
    [more available)))]

Love Damian Trench[Miles Jupp in anything]
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03srgv9
    [more available)))]

5. As others' birdie watching. Busy, busy, then vanish. Then re-appear. No sharing. Many muggings. Fanned tails as menaces. Put own h-m seedy stuff out early. Claw tracks in snow, still falling, but also drifting and shifting as wind rises. Beyond, on ancient farmland, sudden clouds of snow whirl up and are whipped North.
    #
    ((()))continue>mhags and family. Hope son kept his hair.

skint - thankyou for posting amidst so much else. To know/feel oneself 'orphaned', at whatever age, is uniquely hard, every time.

pk - animal hugs aplenty, along with ours to you and oh.

he - do boil kettle for hwb loveliness and take care.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    1) Yak trax and walking poles.....wonderful things in the snow!

2) Just been for a lovely walk with He Who Knows along the usual route I take Cookie footpaths, lanes and down to the river and back, was just beautiful.

3) Everyone we met was happy, smiling and enjoying the day.

4) Pictures on the phone of the Grandpickles in the snow, daddy has a snow day too and Little O's face was a picture of amazed puzzlement at a white world, Zebra smiling from ear to ear just rolled in it!

5) Saw a fieldfare in the apple tree this morning, not a redwing, no red patch but they must be hungry as both species are normally farmland birds and only come in to the urban areas when the food sources are exhausted. Will find extra to put out and hope they find the haws on the hawthorn bushes in the front hedge as there are still plenty on them.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback