Proposing - Asking her parents blessing

So, I feel the time is right to pop the question to my girlfriend,I'm looking for some advice beforehand.

She is very close to her mum and dad, and I think it would mean alot to her (and them I suppose) to ask for their blessing beforehand. My question is, how do I go about this?

Do I call round to their house when they're both home and ask to talk to them? Do I forewarn them that I'd like to call round and discuss something with them?

Do I invite them out to lunch or something along them lines?

Any advice appreciated, especially from anybody who has either done this themseleves or been asked by the daughters boyrfriend.

Replies

• elsienelsien Forumite
    26.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know it's not what you're asking but if anyone asked my parent's blessing before asking me first I'd be seriously unimpressed. Gives the impression their permission is needed and is somewhat paternalistic.
    Just my two pennorth. :)
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • TimpuTimpu Forumite
    306 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Neighbour's soon to be SIL rang the parents and asked if they would be in of an afternoon. I think it was a cup of tea and a 'this is what I plan to do' type conversation. Parents were of course, delighted.

Good luck :beer:

PS. Not my kind of thing but each to their own.
  • Jojo_the_TightfistedJojo_the_Tightfisted Forumite
    27.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same girl as two years ago?
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • bouicca21bouicca21 Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you really want their blessing then you ask her first and then go together to her parents; ditto your own. Elsien would be 'seriously unimpressed'; I'd have been deeply upset.
  • Same girl as two years ago?

Haha no, I actually found that thread before posting this and was going to post an update but it's closed so for anybody who was wanderering I won't keep you in suspense any longer...

...over the following weeks we remained friends, met up for a coffee a couple of times before eventually drifting apart. As far as I know she hasn't been in a relationship since.

...meanwhile, I regrouped, got back in the gym, went out more and a few months later met the girl I now intend to marry. Those who remember the old thread may remember that marriage/ living together/ babies wasn't on my immediate agenda, it's amazing how much things change when you meet the right person.
  • silvercarsilvercar Forumite, Board Guide
    42.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought the tradition was to ask her father for permission.
    Usually found at a vaccine centre 💉
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
  • cte1111cte1111 Forumite
    7.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    My husband talked about 'asking my parents' for permission to marry me. I was horrified and told him if he did I wouldn't marry him. I find the whole 'tradition' pretty disgusting and the subject being brought up made me wonder if I'd picked the wrong man (we are still happily married over 10 years later so happily not the case).

So my advice is, if you want to propose, then go for it, no-one else's permission needed. Women are no longer owned by their menfolk.
  • Loz01Loz01 Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I think its a good idea! Obviously its not really a "question" per say, you're an adult and can marry anyone if you want, but I just think its nice to ask and let your partners Mum and/or Dad know your plans before hand. Maybe just invite them to an informal lunch and say "I just wanted to let you know Im planning on proposing on xyz day" and I bet they'll be thrilled you told them first.
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    .... but what would you do if they said no?:eek:
  • MojisolaMojisola Forumite
    34.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cte1111 wrote: »
    So my advice is, if you want to propose, then go for it, no-one else's permission needed. Women are no longer owned by their menfolk.

Absolutely!

If my OH had asked my Dad, he would have told him to ask me because it would be me spending my life with him, not my Dad!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides