Add your feedback on energy supplier Powershop

Options

Comments

• fewkeste
    fewkeste Posts: 534 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What I've just started to wonder is if all of the Powershop operations around the world (I think they are/may have been in Australia and/or NZ) have ceased operations? or, if it was just the 'Franchise' running under the Npower licence that has folded when Npower were taken over?  I shall have to do some research. The reason I ponder this is in theory there would be nothing to stop Powershop operating again under their own or another company's licence. They only ceased because their 'home' in the UK (under the Npower brand umbrella) was denied them when Npower were taken over.
  • EddyM
    EddyM Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 25 April 2021 at 8:10AM
    Options
    OK,
    So it appears I have been "transferred" on to "Powershop Light" (PSL).
    I note that all of the monies that I have previously paid for Powerpacks (PP) has been added as a credit balance to my account.
    I also note that the tariff figures shown for PSL are identical to the previous tariff that I was on.
    I'm just catching up with what's happened to my Powershop account. It looks like on the 13th of March, they refunded the cost price of all the Powerpacks I had purchased (as credit on my account, same as yours), but also simultaneously changed my tariff to "Top Shopper Elec 2020 Version 2" (it was previously "Powershop Baseline Elec 2020 Version 2"). The PDF attached to the email they sent at that point (with the subject "Your Powershop Account Invoice") shows that the charges for the period 10 Feb - 9 Mar were taken from that credit on the account rather than using Powerpacks, but that period was charged at the Top Shopper rate with correspondingly lower standing charge and unit rate. So I think that means I haven't lost out on anything, as the Top Shopper rate is supposed to be the effective rate I would have got from buying all available Powerpacks.

So if your tariff hasn't been changed to the "Top Shopper" version of it, I think something has gone wrong there?

I've also found an email from them on the 14th of January, which said:
    Important changes to your Powershop Pro account

In December 2020, we wrote to you to let you know that PS Energy UK Limited, which includes Powershop, is now part of the E.ON group. This means all of our existing customers will eventually be supplied by E.ON Next. Moving forward E.ON Next will not be able to support the unique way that you currently buy energy through your Powershop Pro account.

What happens next?

To prepare your account for the move to E.ON Next, you don’t need to lift a finger. We’ll transfer your account to a fixed-rate Powershop Lite tariff. This will be set at your current Top Shopper rate which is the cheapest rate that would have been achievable if you had bought all your Powerpacks with Powershop Pro. You will receive this rate until your Powershop Pro tariff is due to expire.
  • Equites
    Equites Posts: 118 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well, tried to login to the Powershop account earlier this week to find its completely closed.
    Met with the message "Congratulations - You are currently on your way to Eon Next.".
    So, if you want to keep a record of your past energy usage better download it fast before they close out the account....

Then I get an email yesterday from Eon asking me for a meter reading.
    To do that you have to set up an account with them - it would appear that this meter reading request email is their "we'll let you know how to log in as soon as it's ready" email they promised in a previous email last month.

The EON account site is very spartan, missing already the Powershop graphs of usage as there is nothing comparable with EON.
    As for the "If you pay by Direct Debit it'll be transferred over" comment in the previous email, that is not the case with me as the account kindly tells me that "It looks like you don't have an active Direct Debit - you can set one up here."  So that side seems to be completely screwed up.

Also really irritating that you cannot see your tariff values, all I get told is that I am on "Electricity Top Shopper Fix 2020 Issue 1" but with no ability to actually see what that means.  Will see if submitting a meter reading forces a bill to be created, the tariffs should be visible there.

So, not impressed so far with the communication and lack of care in transferring my account details over. 
    Will stick with them until the tariff ends in June, if they have honoured the Powershop tariff, after that will see what is offered.  For here, currently Symbio is by far the cheapest on offer, pity its Symbio though as their reviews are scarily bad - get what you pay for...

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    This is what my tariff is:
  • Tafrock
    Tafrock Posts: 747 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That's not a bad price in today's climate. I jumped from powershop in may 2019 when powerpack savings started to diminish 

I enjoyed my time with powershop and built up quite a rapport with their management regularly spending time relaying my experiences both positive and negative to them. They even named an office after me (I have photographic evidence of the nameplate)

The management admitted that their price restructuring at time I started to get concerned was brought about by the need to have any tariff compatible with the antiquated npower it system of billing 

I eventually left for the nightmare that is symbio (I wouldn't recommend them at all). 12 months later I ditched symbio for green 

My electricity has stayed with them since april 2020 now joined by my gas which I had with zog for 7 years but greens duel fuel won my business in january this year 

I now pay 14.39p electric and 2.347 gas with a 22p per day standing charge so my gas is the cheapest I can find 

However if powershop do ever re-emerge I would definitely consider rejoining as I liked the way they operated 
  • Tafrock
    Options
    That top shopper tariff is far better then what eon next offer me if I get a quote . Though they do try and tempt me with an offer of 20 pounds credit as a free gift or 40 for duel fuel. Here's the tariff I was offered 
  • Equites
    Equites Posts: 118 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Also really irritating that you cannot see your tariff values, all I get told is that I am on "Electricity Top Shopper Fix 2020 Issue 1" but with no ability to actually see what that means.  Will see if submitting a meter reading forces a bill to be created, the tariffs should be visible there.

Not sure if the meter reading had anything to do with it, but the tariff information is now showing on the account, here are the details...

Top Shopper Fix 2020 Issue 1
    12.93 p/kWh 19.98 p/day
    (All rates inc. VAT)

This is a lot cheaper than anything available here bar a variable rate deal with Symbio, so will stick with EON until the end of the contract.
    After that EON is woefully uncompetitive as this is the cheapest tariff they are offering for here, so the hunt begins for a competent supplier that will not require me pulling out what hair remains during the switchover.... 

Out of curiosity, had a look at green and here is their cheapest offering for here (North Scotland)....

• Tafrock
    edited 30 April 2021 at 10:55AM
    Options
    Here's my cheapest variable in Midlands region for green. Slightly more expensive then my current green (Hazelwood tariff) (14.39p let kWh same 22p per day standing charge )Is but still cheaper than what you have been quoted by green  
  • Tafrock
    Options
    And here's greens cheapest fix for me 
  • sheps
    sheps Posts: 57 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Everything I'm offered over 500 more expensive a year so I will be on the move.. Again except several variable from symbio which i may have to do until i can work out if I have any other options.. I cant see a reason to stay with eon tbh.. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback