Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

the snap general election thread

Options

Comments

• mrginge
    mrginge Posts: 4,843 Forumite
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Post Brexit all political parties have got to up their game. Hopefully they'll be some genuine talent rising to the top. As currently there's a lack of genuine leaders who are honest enough to tell it as it is. Rather than meander along with all sorts of vague promises.

Problem is that the electorate don't vote for political parties who tell it as it is.
  • mystic_trev
    mystic_trev Posts: 5,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Filo25 wrote: »

Theresa May will come out of this damaged with both the general public and the Tory party though

I'm beginning to think Theresa May will be forced to stand down, soon after the Election, bearing in mind she's made a complete fool of herself. Await she's decided to stand down due to 'medical concerns'
  • posh*spice
    posh*spice Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    edited 4 June 2017 at 12:09PM
    Options
    Arklight wrote: »
    Social media is an echo chamber. But it's used by the young, who are pro Corbyn. If they actually turn out and vote this time, and the Tories suffer from low turnout in marginals, as I suspect they might, then Thursday night could be quite interesting.

My son tells me that all the young are talking about is the fact that JC is anti- shoot to kill - he seems to think that people like the terrorists in Borough Matket should have been arrested.
    I don't think they will be turning out for him in the numbers people think.

He's a terrorist appeaser.

The young can see that today.
    Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you.
  • masterwilde
    masterwilde Posts: 270 Forumite
    Options
    reailty check.....tasers are supposed to affect individuals in an instant and bring them to the floor so they can be arrested.

why when the attackers are (granted not these ones wearing fake suicide vests) are we operating a shoot to kill when they are only armed with a knife?

a white/black man with a knife would be tasered.

the UK allegedly does not operate a shoot to kill, yet armed police are trained to shoot straight to the chest.
  • posh*spice
    posh*spice Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    edited 4 June 2017 at 12:31PM
    Options
    reailty check.....tasers are supposed to affect individuals in an instant and bring them to the floor so they can be arrested.

why when the attackers are (granted not these ones wearing fake suicide vests) are we operating a shoot to kill when they are only armed with a knife?

a white/black man with a knife would be tasered.

the UK allegedly does not operate a shoot to kill, yet armed police are trained to shoot straight to the chest.

Quoted to save

However i'm guessing putting a taser to a bomb vest isn't the best idea :- O
    Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,930 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    posh*spice wrote: »
    My son tells me that all the young are talking about is the fact that JC is anti- shoot to kill - he seems to think that people like the terrorists in Borough Matket should have been arrested. I don't think they will be turning out for him in the numbers people think.

He's a terrorist appeaser. The young can see that today.

How have our MPs affected what the police do? Common sense will prevail, whether PM thinks they should have used a tazer or not.

Corbyn will not be our PM, but he could be a useful man with some good ideas; since things are getting worse not better.
  • Conrad
    Conrad Posts: 33,137 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 4 June 2017 at 12:52PM
    Options
    posh*spice wrote: »
    Quoted to save

However i'm guessing putting a taser to a bomb vest isn't the best idea :- O

That post summarises the naivity of the liberal left. Never on the side of common sense and the Human rights of the majority.

I don't give a stuff about the rights of terrorists, and I'd make life hell for anyone showing the slightest signs of going down that path.

I guarantee the likes of Farron and James O'Brien will wheel out the usual "we must not water down our Human rights, otherwise the terrorists will have won". So predictable
  • Conrad
    Conrad Posts: 33,137 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    sevenhills wrote: »

Corbyn will not be our PM, but he could be a useful man with some good ideas; since things are getting worse not better.

He will let in huge numbers of 'refugees', his life long passion. In addition immigration will go up as word gets out a Labour Britain is a soft touch and full of free things.

Not sure how the young will react to finding out all those shiny new houses are still out of reach due to massive demand.

That's one of many cons Corbyn is engaged in

Division would become intensified due to the British public realising they were conned by the promise of simplistic populist policies that were to be paid for by someone else.
  • masterwilde
    masterwilde Posts: 270 Forumite
    Options
    Conrad wrote: »
    That post summarises the naivity of the liberal left. Never on the side of common sense and the Human rights of the majority.

I don't give a stuff about the rights of terrorists, and I'd make life hell for anyone showing the slightest signs of going down that path.

I guarantee the likes of Farron and James O'Brien will wheel out the usual "we must not water down our Human rights, otherwise the terrorists will have won". So predictable

and on the london train attacks laat decade....one civilian shot dead by police by MISTAKE
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Conrad wrote: »
    [...] they were conned by the promise of simplistic populist policies that were to be paid for by someone else.

Ahh, that irony again.

You don't get much more simplistic and populist than "we must live within our means as if our economy was a family budget" or "we must kill more of them until they stop. Its the only way".

Unfortunately neither of those have been shown to work over many years now and many serious, non-simplistic, analysts - financial and security - can and have been explaining why they won't from the very start.

But they're simple and (we're told) they're "common sense" so they become popular and and people end up voting for those simple, popular, policies.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport