Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

the snap general election thread

Options

Comments

• Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    michaels wrote: »
    Bookies got 2015 and brexit wrong

By this point in the game bookies odds are far more indicative of where money's been placed than the actual chance of an event happening.

So at best they reflect expectations amongst the betting pubic but that doesn't necessarily translate into what those same people will vote, let alone everyone else.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,107 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My current way of predicting what's going to happen is to believe the opposite of what social media says. Learnt that in the last year.

So, conservative win.
  • Arklight
    Arklight Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Social media is an echo chamber. But it's used by the young, who are pro Corbyn. If they actually turn out and vote this time, and the Tories suffer from low turnout in marginals, as I suspect they might, then Thursday night could be quite interesting.
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Arklight wrote: »
    Social media is an echo chamber.

To a point, but no more than many people's print news habits. Few people nowadays take a range of newspapers, so they also live in their comfy bubble of only seeing interpretations which confirm their own bias.
  • masterwilde
    masterwilde Posts: 270 Forumite
    Options
    with the new terror attacks in london, looking like a Mumbai style attack, things are not looking good
  • gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Not sure we have anything to learn from the Spanish economy?

The post I was responding to appeared to imply that the price of wine had gone up dramatically for reasons other than the real major cause.

Should we tax alcohol like smoking in terms of its impact on h although costs - that is a debate worth having post-election!

The only thing we could learn, if it true is,
    "Their health service is brilliant (here in Mallorca that is)."

I have seen a lot of Brits in Spain saying the same.
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • gfplux
    Options
    Filo25 wrote: »
    Speaking of polls being all over the place......

Westminster voting intention:

CON: 40% (-6)
    LAB: 39% (+5)
    LDEM: 8% (-)
    UKIP: 5% (+2)

(via @Survation / 03 Jun)

CON: 45% (+1)
    LAB: 36% (-2)
    LDEM: 8% (+1)
    UKIP: 4% (-1)

(via ORB / 31 May - 01 Jun)

CON: 45% (-)
    LAB: 34% (+1)
    LDEM: 9% (+1)
    UKIP: 5% (-)
    GRN: 3% (-)

(via @ICMResearch)

And another.

YouGov/Times:

CON 42 (=)
    LAB 38 (-1)
    LD 9 (+2)
    UKIP 4 (=)
    OTH 8 (=)

Changes vs 31st
    1st-2nd Jun
    N=1,989

Surely one thing we all should have learnt by now that the polls have been getting it wrong.
    We should ignore all of them until they change their losing run and get it right a few times.
  • gfplux
    Options
    Joe_Horner wrote: »
    Bears thinking about seeing as negotiation is about bringing the other guy round to your way of thinking!

18813810_1347314228689453_1626129503079018049_n.jpg?oh=f56969e11d41cdc07eb752693e4af80e&oe=59E5549D

She or her advisers have really dropped the ball. If she wins she needs to get some new advisers.
  • Filo25
    Filo25 Posts: 2,132 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think the Tories will still win this pretty comfortably, although probably not with the kind of majority people were talking about when the campaign started.

Theresa May will come out of this damaged with both the general public and the Tory party though
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Filo25 wrote: »
    I think the Tories will still win this pretty comfortably, although probably not with the kind of majority people were talking about when the campaign started.

Theresa May will come out of this damaged with both the general public and the Tory party though

Post Brexit all political parties have got to up their game. Hopefully they'll be some genuine talent rising to the top. As currently there's a lack of genuine leaders who are honest enough to tell it as it is. Rather than meander along with all sorts of vague promises.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport