Together Energy?

Options

Comments

• mikeyorkie10
    Options
    It certainly does make you wonder what going on with this company and about the effectiveness of the Ombudsman. Ill just be glad when my switch is completed and Im away from them- approx 10 days and counting.
  • mikeyorkie10
    Options
    meherenow wrote: »
    Interesting story....

I tried to move to Bulb earlier in the year in an early flounce when I realised trouble was brewing as they were still taking money from me for my old address and my complaint had just gone over to the ombudsman.

Bulb got back to me to say they couldn't take on my supply because a swap was already in progress.

Most strange I thought - I had changed to TE from the incumbent in my new property in December 2017 and this was now the beginning of March - Bulb kindly sent me a screen grab as to what was going on...

It would seem that my supply did indeed move from "British Gas Trading" (supplier code "BGAS") to "Together Energy Supply Limited" ("AZAC") on 28th December 2017 (quite right as my BG smart meter stopped working the day before).

However there is another entry signifying a swap to "Together Energy (Eddington)" ("EDDI") on 1st March 2018. It's this unknown swap that stopped my first transfer to Bulb from going through.

Now your guess is as good as mine as to what this means - I did mention it to the ombudsman but this was just totally ignored.

Why would my supply be transferred to a different limited company set up by the same directors? And is this technically legal without my permission?

Again, difficult to know what is going on when I have had absolutely ZERO paperwork from any company trading with a name similar to TOGETHER.

Very fishy I'm sure you will agree and that is without even putting my Columbo coat on...

If this mob aren't bust by this Christmas I'll eat my shoe!
    Perhaps the Ombudsman should subscribe to this thread!
  • Fromply
    Fromply Posts: 174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I thought that - but its not over when you switch - then there's the battle to get the final bill and any refunds! (and of course to stop them taking more money!)
  • mikeyorkie10
    mikeyorkie10 Posts: 195 Forumite
    edited 20 August 2018 at 9:51AM
    Options
    Fromply wrote: »
    I thought that - but its not over when you switch - then there's the battle to get the final bill and any refunds! (and of course to stop them taking more money!)
    Ive stopped my DD already as they owe me approx £150. Surely they cant still take any more?
  • Fromply
    Options
    If you've stopped the DD, then you should be fine :)
  • mikeyorkie10
    Options
    Had confirmation from TE that they've cancelled my DD and my subscription, whatever that is? Absolutely no attempt from them to retain me as a customer - is that a sign that theyre on their way out?
  • Shedman
    Shedman Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 21 August 2018 at 2:31PM
    Options
    Looking at the Companies House information (I'm not an accountant, so don't really have a clear understanding of what I'm looking at).... for their last accounts, published in January for Y/E August 2017, they have few assets and £1.7m worth of creditors with debts due within 1 year and have "profit and loss reserves" of negative £900k.
    "Current cashflow forecast indicate a requirement to raise additional working capital by early 2018".
    And one of the founders and directors has resigned as of 9th July 2018.

Not looking healthy to me!

Agreed the Aug 17 accounts don't look very good (by the way the accounts are more than 1 year as they run from April 16 to Aug 17). Nearly £1m loss in the first 16 months of operation doesn't look encouraging (unfortunately being Small Company Accounts there is no P&L so I can't see on what level of turnover that loss was incurred) although businesses in start up phase can make hefty losses and still be viable in the long run (think Amazon - although on a somewhat different scale..) and also there is no visibility of what has happened since Aug 17 so it may be that they have secured the necessary funding / lines of credit (although the resignation of one of the two directors and no replacement does raise doubts in my mind about that).

To be fair so far I haven't had any issues with them but then, apart from the DD being taken, submitting meter readings and getting the monthly bills posted on my account, there hasn't been a lot of interaction anyway.

Having said that, now having reviewed the company and accounts on Companies House, I can't say I am sorry that I am leaving them as I do have some doubts about their financial robustness, especially as their latest tariffs don't appear competitive so I can't see how they are going to drive sufficient new customer numbers and/or retain existing customers coming up to renewal to improve their financial position.
  • Fromply
    Options
    Thanks for that :)

It's interesting (and somewhat surprising) to hear that you haven't had any problems. I presume you've been with them for about a year given that you are leaving? Just to double check:
    - you've had reliable, regular, monthly, statements in the period you've been with them, using readings you've supplied them?
    - You double checked that your opening reading matched the closing reading from your previous supplier (and had a final bill from your previous supplier?)
    - Estimated usage has broadly matched your direct debit payments over the term?
    - Your renewal quaote from them gave a "sensible" forecast usage going forward?

Just curious, because it seems weird to me that you haven't had any problems (and as you sound like an accountant, I'm sure you're well on top of it). I hope you continue to not have any problems as you leave, I'm sure you don't need me to warn you to keep a close eye on what they do!

With regards to "drive sufficient new customer numbers" - I'd be stunned if they don't lose a shedload of customers as those that transferred to them like us a year or so ago when they were keenly priced now react to the poor service and higher prices, let alone generate new customers.
  • Shedman
    Shedman Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 21 August 2018 at 3:07PM
    Options
    Thanks for that :)

It's interesting (and somewhat surprising) to hear that you haven't had any problems. I presume you've been with them for about a year given that you are leaving? Just to double check:
    - you've had reliable, regular, monthly, statements in the period you've been with them, using readings you've supplied them?

Yes coming up to my year. Apart from well known catch up Dec 17 bill that had a number of months together then I have had regular monthly bills posted up within a few days of month end (using my meter readings except once when I was late supplying them
    - You double checked that your opening reading matched the closing reading from your previous supplier (and had a final bill from your previous supplier?)

Most certainly did check rest assured. And it matched
    - Estimated usage has broadly matched your direct debit payments over the term?

Being the anally retentive figure keeper that I am ;) I have a spreadsheet of meter readings, unit costs and calculated billings going back years so I know what I should be billed. So far TE have been spot on give a take a few pence so no complaints on that score
    - Your renewal quaote from them gave a "sensible" forecast usage going forward?

Not ludicrously ridiculous but not that accurate. Anyway didn't rely on their usage figures but calculated it myself using the renewal SC/unit rates

Just curious, because it seems weird to me that you haven't had any problems (and as you sound like an accountant, I'm sure you're well on top of it.
    I hope you continue to not have any problems as you leave, I'm sure you don't need me to warn you to keep a close eye on what they do!

No need to worry on that score :rotfl: very close eye being kept

With regards to "drive sufficient new customer numbers" - I'd be stunned if they don't lose a shedload of customers as those that transferred to them like us a year or so ago when they were keenly priced now react to the poor service and higher prices, let alone generate new customers

Responses above.

Assuming that my switch out goes smoothly and if I am owed any money I get it back promptly then I would say I have had a good experience with TE and have benefited from a good fixed rate over the last year ( and some cashback on top) so I'm not (currently) complaining
  • Hoof_Hearted
    Hoof_Hearted Posts: 2,361 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Has anybody who has left actually had a final bill? I can't get one out of them.
    Je suis sabot...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport