Get a grip !

Options

Comments

• Irenadler
    Irenadler Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ha! Skinty, for a minute I thought 'Alan' was your DF.... :D and couldn't figure out the 'mat' bit! 'Maternity? Maternal relative? Some weird friend into mats and other flooring? Your local carpet fitter?' Duh! I felt a right twerp when I realised you meant the shop.....! :D I mean, why would you be giving your clothes to your carpet fitter? He he....

I blame the tablets.... not my brain!

If you manage all that DIY you will be all sorted for moving and Xmas! :)
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    "Mastering a low budget lifestyle now, means you are set for life" quote by 'Miss Babs'

Dog's 'Pot o' Gold' = £23.85
    Household maintenance = 0
    Prolific Academic = £41.64
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,955 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Don't know if it's the same in England, as it is up here, but the receptionist provides log in details to a special website set up by the NHS, complete the online form and it gets sent to the surgery. Mine also has a dedicated email address for script requests, which automatically thanks you and says about doing it the other way 😂

Carpet grippers are easy to lift, we used a screwdriver to get under it, move it up and that disengages the little tack nails to lift up the gripper. Carefully run your hand along where they were as occasionally the fitter misses the gripper and just goes into the floorboard. Either tap them in or use pliers to remove. Grippers can get snapped and disposed of in the normal house bin.

Your week looks varied!
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Skint_yet_Again Posts: 7,596 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 December 2020 at 8:05AM
    Options
    Phew it’s finally the weekend! Have had a busy week but have tried to keep up with reading everyone’s diaries. Feel exhausted and totally stressed. I think I may need to stop posting for a while otherwise this will turn into a diy diary and not much saving going on at the moment, but hopefully back in the new year. Take care of yourselves xx
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • MovingForwards
    Options
    DIY diary is fine and remember a problem (stress) shared is a problem halved. Have a lovely Christmas x
  • atrixa
    atrixa Posts: 549 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Phew it’s finally the weekend! Have had a busy week but have tried to keep up with reading everyone’s diaries. Feel exhausted and totally stressed. I think I may need to stop posting for a while otherwise this will turn into a diy diary and not much saving going on at the moment, but hopefully back in the new year. Take care of yourselves xx
    I know the feeling Skinty, mine is basically a decorating diary! Have a lovely break if you decide to stay away :)
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    Just popping in with a quick update. Feeling completely overwhelmed with the amount of decluttering etc that needs doing to get ready to market the house and getting no help so I completely shut down. 😢Running on adrenaline & weight is dropping off me. The jeans I bought in October are now too big and sagging round my knees 😳

However I have had a few money savings

bought a woolly hat in BHF for dog walking on cold mornings & covering bed hair when can’t be bothered to faff with it at 7am, cost 99p

posted all Christmas cards using 2nd class stamps

did an online shop from asda via U ber eat & got £5 off £20. 

Took unworn jeans back to matAlan for refund onto credit card 

Made a pasta bake & stretched a little mince beef, wrinkled pepper, courgette & mushrooms, couple of handfuls of pasta and topped with cheese. 3 portions in the freezer to make sure I eat well when I’m too tired to cook. 

I finish work on Friday for 2 weeks 🤗, last tip run of this year on Saturday. I chopped up the old squeaky divan bed base with my saw & it’s in the tardis/car, just need to try & motivate myself to sort more & fill the car up to make it worth the trip. 

I am trying to keep up with all your posts. Am thinking of you all, stay safe & well x

0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • MovingForwards
    Options
    Oh Skinty, please be careful and try to get some rest. 
    Ask DS and GF to help, as you are doing this for their benefit too!
    Friday will soon be here and breaking up will free up one demand on you x
  • Irenadler
    Options
    Sorry to read that Skinty. A gentle prod to your DS and GF (sending virtual prods!). Feeling a bit cross on your behalf as you are actually helping them out in the long run. Perhaps a gentle hint that you are fed up/aren't going to move because of not enough help/exhausted might gear them up? ;) They won't know you don't mean it, but, might get them pitching in more.

Hope you get the help and some rest!
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    "Mastering a low budget lifestyle now, means you are set for life" quote by 'Miss Babs'

Dog's 'Pot o' Gold' = £23.85
    Household maintenance = 0
    Prolific Academic = £41.64
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    DS did finally help me put some stuff in the loft and he brought down the single bed & mattress so I can put it back together & dress the spare room as a large single room rather than a small double. However 1 step
    forward 2 steps back ... he then shoved some of his junk in the spare room so they could have a Christmas tree in their room! 🤬 Keep telling myself through gritted teeth.. keep calm, deep breaths 😬 I’m sure it will all come together in the end after Christmas. 

Work has been awful but is now over for 2 weeks and it is such a relief. 

Will walk the dog around 7am then off to Mr T for a few bits for DS & gf for xmas. They are having money instead of presents but I will get them a little something to open on the day even if it’s just smellies, chocs & socks. Also want to get an oven pride to clean my oven shelves. Mr T is just round the corner from the tip so I will drop off a car load after shopping. I found 2 old carpet remnants & some old lino in the loft which are not going to be used so Ds brought those down & they are shoved in the tardis with the chopped up bed base. Then I am resting for the remainder of the weekend. 

Living off savings diary
  • MovingForwards
    Options
    Would offering to take their junk to the tip help get it out your house? They do realise it needs to look tidy, with everything packed away so it can sell and they get the deposit to buy too? Kids huh.

Mr T have been doing a load of loyalty discounts on Christmas things, saved loads over the last two trips to them.

Do try and enjoy your break, everything will work out in the end.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback