MSE News: BT to hike broadband and call prices and charge TV customers for BT Sport

BT is to hike the cost of broadband and some calls and will begin charging TV customers £3.50 for BT Sport, it announced today. But many of those affected will be able to leave their contract penalty-free, or can try and haggle a better deal...
Read the full story:
'BT to hike broadband and call prices and charge TV customers for BT Sport'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• darren72
    darren72 Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Maybe leave penalty-free, but does that include getting the unused portion of pre-paid line rental back ? - As surely if not, that would be classed as a penalty ?
  • darren72 wrote: »
    Maybe leave penalty-free, but does that include getting the unused portion of pre-paid line rental back ? - As surely if not, that would be classed as a penalty ?

If you've pre-paid then the rise won't affect you would it? So you wouldn't then be able to cancel?

Edit: line rental at least.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Pre paid is for LR only.

I haven't seen it mentioned that LR is increasing
    As it went up 2 months ago?!
  • I am in a contract until November do I have the right to cancel my contract based on the price raise?
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Yeap

Wait for notification. And it will tell you
  • darren72
    If you've pre-paid then the rise won't affect you would it? So you wouldn't then be able to cancel?

Edit: line rental at least.

Line rental isn't being increased but the broadband and TV services are - which you can't have without paying line rental.... BT Sports going up from free to £3.50/mth and Infinity going up by £2.50 per month.
  • BT are always putting their prices up. I guess it's how they can always have a 'sale' on to entice new customers, because after 18 months people get fed up and go elsewhere!
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 January 2017 at 12:30AM
    My broadband when i signed up in July said it was £12.50/month for 12 months, but looking at the bill its £26 with a £13.50 discount. Not sure it actually said it was a discount when i signed up, but I've spotted that there was a little triangle next to the £12.50 in the screenshot I have, got a feeling it will say it was £26 with a discount. Will mean I can leave if I want, they will add the £2.50 to the £26.
    This deal:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5516545
    In this original thread above it gives a description of the deal in post 2 and it says it will be £12.50 for 12 months, so not sure now..

I have BT starter TV, free for 12 month(£4 with £4 discount) and free BT sport, I'm not sure they can charge me for BT sport as it came free with starter tv..

All a bit of a mess, as i added mobile aswell....
  • darren72
    boatman wrote: »
    My broadband when i signed up in July just said it was £12.50 for 12 months, but looking at the bill its £26 with a £13.50 discount. Not sure it actually said it was a discount when i signed up, but I've spotted that there was a little triangle next to the £12.50 in the screenshot I have, got a feeling it will say it was a £26 with a discount, which will mean I can leave if a want because they will add the £2 to the £26.

You can leave if you want but from what I have heard if you have pre-paid your line rental for 12 months you will lose all of what is outstanding :mad:
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    darren72 wrote: »
    You can leave if you want but from what I have heard if you have pre-paid your line rental for 12 months you will lose all of what is outstanding :mad:
    I deliberately didn't pay 12 months line rental up front for this very reason. Just a bit confused now as whether my broadband will go from £26 to £28.50 or not..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure