Sky to put up prices in March

Options

Comments

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Some call centre staff tell porkies, so try again.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    Some call centre staff tell porkies, so try again.

You just called me a liar, I'm reporting you :p

Just for the record I don't lie to the customers but I might miss bits out accidentally with the rude ones :shhh:
  • OneLeggedPig
    OneLeggedPig Posts: 138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 26 January 2017 at 10:15AM
    Options
    Sky broadband has been fine for me, but I'll definitely use this hike as a way out of my contract early. Plusnet have a £55 cashback offer so it's a no-brainer for me.

Don't forget to call Sky after starting a switch to inform them that you're leaving due to the price rise and make sure they mark your account that way so that there is no early termination fee. You've got 30 days from the email.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Sky broadband has been fine for me, but I'll definitely use this hike as a way out of my contract early. Plusnet have a £55 cashback offer so it's a no-brainer for me.

Don't forget to call Sky after starting a switch to inform them that you're leaving due to the price rise and make sure they mark your account that way so that there is no early termination fee. You've got 30 days from the email.

Don't you have to call Sky first before initiating a switch or have I got that the wrong way round?
  • miller
    miller Posts: 1,628 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options

Swapped out to Plusnet after Sky last did this and rang (as you recommended and they state on the paperwork) to avoid the early termination fee before initiating the switch.

They just slapped it on anyway.

Rang them up to make a complaint to be told "we don't take complaints by phone".

Then spent 55 minutes on live chat getting them to remove the fee.
  • OneLeggedPig
    OneLeggedPig Posts: 138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 26 January 2017 at 12:09PM
    Options
    miller wrote: »
    Swapped out to Plusnet after Sky last did this and rang (as you recommended and they state on the paperwork) to avoid the early termination fee before initiating the switch.

They just slapped it on anyway.

Rang them up to make a complaint to be told "we don't take complaints by phone".

Then spent 55 minutes on live chat getting them to remove the fee.
    Don't you have to call Sky first before initiating a switch or have I got that the wrong way round?

Hmmm. When I escaped BT previously under similar circumstances, I think I called them afterwards.

I think before or after is fine, but maybe I'll ring before starting the switch, could be safer. Thinking about it, calling Sky first does make sense. Hopefully it won't take too long as I won't be open to persuasion.

But on the other hand, would have to be very clear about "switching", not "cancelling". If they then went and cancelled it then that would cause problems. Could be easier to avoid that if I start the switch first?
  • OneLeggedPig
    Options
    Update on the above- I asked this question to Plusnet, and the adviser there said the best thing to do would be:

- Call Sky and inform them I'm going to switch away, and stress that I'm using my rights to get out of the contract early with no fee, due to the price rise

- Then start the switch to Plusnet

- Then call Sky back again and say that I've started the switch, and get it confirmed that they understand that they can't charge me any fee
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Update on the above- I asked this question to Plusnet, and the adviser there said the best thing to do would be:

- Call Sky and inform them I'm going to switch away, and stress that I'm using my rights to get out of the contract early with no fee, due to the price rise

- Then call Sky back again and say that I've started the switch, and get it confirmed that they understand that they can't charge me any fee
    Thanks for the update, your previous post appeared to answer my question with the same question :D
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 January 2017 at 1:36PM
    Options

I went from Plusnet to BT. Phoned Plusnet told them I was leaving because of the price rise. 5 mins later went to order BT online but couldn't because Plusnet had put a 'cease'(cancellation notice effectively) on my line. Had to phone back Plusnet to get it removed.
    Next time I'll order online first, then tell them I'm leaving.
  • OneLeggedPig
    Options
    boatman wrote: »
    I went from Plusnet to BT. Phoned Plusnet told them I was leaving because of the price rise. 5 mins later went to order BT online but couldn't because Plusnet had put a 'cease'(cancellation notice effectively) on my line. Had to phone back Plusnet to get it removed.
    Next time I'll order online first, then tell them I'm leaving.

Ah see that's what I was afraid of!! My current provider being nasty and not playing by the rules, cancelling my contract/line after I call them.

That makes me, again, want to start the switch first. Man I'm all over the place here.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure