🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Las Vegas guide and MSE thread 2017

Options

Comments

• StuieUK34
    StuieUK34 Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    my finger is on the button to book.....
    Although I can use my Virgin air miles for the flight, I can see Thomas Cook flights for £380 return.... (28th sep)
    That's to San Fran, and flying home from LAX.........
    Looks like I gotta do 9 nights, so that gives me 5 nights in some random shacks somewhere, and 4 nights in Vegas! :D

Think I need to spend a few hours later going over some ideas! I used to work in the US 12 years ago, so am used to travelling solo, feels odd looking at the idea now though ! Although, my pal wants to meet me in Vegas, hmmmmmmm !! :D:D
  • dontone
    dontone Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ferf1223 wrote: »
    we have also come around to lunch buffets - in general, they have the things we like there at a lower cost - and then we're pretty much set for food for the day.

I still want to try the Caesars buffet, but the price just puts me off...same for Sterling Brunch at Ballys. We keep saying we will do one, and we never do.

Finally booked our October trip - really late for us to book, we're normally 6-9 months ahead of ourselves. We're sad that the Cosmo comps dried up, but 6 nights at Paris (5 comped) and 3 nights at Encore (2 comped) will do us just fine.

Me and DH did the Sunday 'champagne' breakfast buffet at Caesars in 2008 and it was $53 each even back then.
    And it was a waste of money 'cos there was hardly any choice (in fact there was finger food on cake stands, and there was barely anything there IYSWIM), and I don't drink champagne, so it was cranberry juice for me (and a lousy cup of tea). I ended up with what I thought was a crossiant and some jam, and after stuffing it with jam, I took a bite and realised that in the middle was a slice of ham :eek:It wasn't bad tbh :rotfl:
    I can't remember having an afternoon/evening buffet there though, but like I have said before, buffets just don't do it for me. It's DH who likes them.
    BTW, why do the Americans, when you ask for HOT tea (none of this iced muck) never fetch you the milk for it until about 10 mins later, when it's more or less cold anyway? It's just one of those things that bugs me :rotfl:
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin':T :j
  • ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    Options
    we also aren't champagne people, but I really want to try the Bacchanal Buffet as it gets such good reviews...but the not fussed about champagne thing does absolutely contribute to our not pulling the trigger on this or Sterling Brunch before.
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you considered the Sunday brunch at the Golden Nugget - can't remember the price but it would not be outrageous or we would not have done it?
    The puddings are to die for there LOL
  • StuieUK34
    Options
    Wooooohooooooooooo !
    Flight Booked!! :D
    Flying to San Fran, then from LAX back home....

Flying with Thomas Cook...
    Whats the score peeps ?
    I didn't pay the extra to pick seats, so is it similar to BA and Virgin where you can choose your seats free 24hrs before flying ??

Also, do you know if you get free drinks on board like with Virgin/BA (say cans of cola, water and the occasional beer) ?

Doing 3 nights in the Wilderness (somewhere in Yosemite down to Death Valley)... if I survive, then onto Vegas for 3 nights to WIN BIIIIIIIIG MONIES!!!!! :D:D;);)
  • Brats64
    Brats64 Posts: 465 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    We have flown with Thomas Cook before,and I am pretty sure the only free drinks you get are served with your meal...and even then,only soft drinks tea or coffee.
    Any other drinks you want need to be paid for,alcoholic or soft drinks.
    You also pay for the tv screens so you can watch all the films...there is a free limited offering of a few older films I think.£5.00 for an access code for the seat back TVs.
    Also it costs £1.00 for the toilet.

Ok...so I made the toilet bit up. :rotfl:

But it wouldn't surprise me in the future.
    I also seem to remember waiting for the 24 hour online check in to secure our seats,only to find that even after checking in seating would be allocated at airport.
    I was initially annoyed that everything cost extra onboard Thomas cook,but the fact that we left Manchester at round about 9.15 am and we landed in Vegas shortly after dinner time makes up for it.
    So much so that we are flying with them for our Vegas trip at the beginning of October.
    Once you accept that you pay for films and drinks...better off buying what you need in departure lounge....then it's not so bad.
    Plus the flight costs less so can't really complain.
  • pebblesmax
    pebblesmax Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We went with them last October. Hardly any free stuff, but it was £300 less than Virgin for our dates, so no worries. We also managed with the free films and documentaries. We usually read part of the flight anyway. Stock up on soft drinks and you'll be fine.

It's looking like we might be flying with them again in October too.
  • dontone
    Options
    Brats64 wrote: »
    We have flown with Thomas Cook before,and I am pretty sure the only free drinks you get are served with your meal...and even then,only soft drinks tea or coffee.
    Any other drinks you want need to be paid for,alcoholic or soft drinks.
    You also pay for the tv screens so you can watch all the films...there is a free limited offering of a few older films I think.£5.00 for an access code for the seat back TVs.
    Also it costs £1.00 for the toilet.

Ok...so I made the toilet bit up. :rotfl:

But it wouldn't surprise me in the future.
    I also seem to remember waiting for the 24 hour online check in to secure our seats,only to find that even after checking in seating would be allocated at airport.
    I was initially annoyed that everything cost extra onboard Thomas cook,but the fact that we left Manchester at round about 9.15 am and we landed in Vegas shortly after dinner time makes up for it.
    So much so that we are flying with them for our Vegas trip at the beginning of October.
    Once you accept that you pay for films and drinks...better off buying what you need in departure lounge....then it's not so bad.
    Plus the flight costs less so can't really complain.

Everything that Brats has just said is correct (apart from the toilet bit lol) Although when we went last year, one of the toilet locks broke and one of the poor stewardesses had to spent the entire flight sitting in the little waiting area warning folk not to push on the door. I remember thinking that it would be just my luck that I would be trying to hang on while hovering and some dopey s*d came along and pushed it :o - thankfully it didn't happen :rotfl:
    I think that if you wanted a hot drink, it was £2.20 each. Special pop was extra, as expected. That is true about the films as well, and if like me, you didn't bring any headphones, they were £3 a pair. I bought the films on the way back, but going there, I read a lot and enjoyed to view out of the window (Iceland is rather spectacular)
    And later on, they will come round with scratch cards (you have to buy them) and you COULD win money before you get to Vegas.
    And also, be prepared for them forever trying to flog you Duty Free stuff, they did that more than they did with the drinks trolley.
    And their website is the absolute pits. That is all ;)
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

• StuieUK34
    Options
    cheers for the info guys!
    Stock up in airport, and take laptop with movies on.... CHECK !

We get to Vegas on the 1st, and leave early on the 4th to get to LA to fly home... I guess at £339 a return flight, the extras are expected!
    I got Mlife comp's as usual, but as I am no longer going solo (my dad is coming with me, even on the Road trip part!), I gotta book him a separate room, as his snoring would keep me awake! haha !!! :D

I rang LowCostUSA, fair play, they got some good rates compared to anyone else..
    I have never stayed in the MGM before, so toying with the idea of us staying there, instead of the Monte or Luxor....

Soooooooooooooo, 1st October to the 4th, is that gonna be a Factor Zero Tanning Oil, or do I take an umbrella ?! :D:D
  • dontone
    Options
    StuieUK34 wrote: »
    cheers for the info guys!
    Stock up in airport, and take laptop with movies on.... CHECK !

We get to Vegas on the 1st, and leave early on the 4th to get to LA to fly home... I guess at £339 a return flight, the extras are expected!
    I got Mlife comp's as usual, but as I am no longer going solo (my dad is coming with me, even on the Road trip part!), I gotta book him a separate room, as his snoring would keep me awake! haha !!! :D

I rang LowCostUSA, fair play, they got some good rates compared to anyone else..
    I have never stayed in the MGM before, so toying with the idea of us staying there, instead of the Monte or Luxor....

Soooooooooooooo, 1st October to the 4th, is that gonna be a Factor Zero Tanning Oil, or do I take an umbrella ?! :D:D

It's warm, been a couple of times in October as I said before, lol :rotfl:
    Although, when we went in 2006 (our Circus Circus stay). Our very first night, it started to rain, and then the lightning came. I've never seen lightning go across the sky before. It was amazing.
    And then the next morning, the news said that it was the worst rain storm they had had for 10 years. Not that you would know 'cos everything was bone dry. (there were a few desert road out of the way that had crumbled, but......)
    I took it as a massive sign that we were going to have some great luck......... wrong as usual :mad::rotfl:

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family