The Talk! Uni parents.

Options

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    He was a child himself - That 16 year old legal safeguard works both ways!!

What do you mean works both ways? You mean that someone under 16 broke the law by sleeping with someone over 16? Because that's not actually what it means.
    He broke a law!
    Consenting adults encouraged him to break the law!!

That's not strictly true, it's perfectly possible to have a relationship without sex. He was an adult in terms of the law, and as such should understand the legal ramifications of his actions.
  • Guest101
    Options
    Haha - some of you place much higher moral and legal restrictions on other people's kids than you do on yourselves:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I cant speak for everyone but I can safely say I've never had sexual contact with someone under 16
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Genuine question - when you say this, do you mean that he has some kind of learning disability?
  • baby_lemonade
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »
    Because he had sexual contact with a child.

Putting aside ALL moral and ethical arguments. He broke the law.

Just to play devils advocate here, the legal age limit varies from country to country and is in no way backed up by scientific evidence.
  • Guest101
    Options
    Just to play devils advocate here, the legal age limit varies from country to country and is in no way backed up by scientific evidence.

Totally (I think I said this before too, so 100% agree)

The comment was purely a legal one based on the law in the UK

I many cultures adulthood is at 13 (or even younger)
  • OldMotherTucker
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »
    I cant speak for everyone but I can safely say I've never had sexual contact with someone under 16

Good for you! I commend and applaud your admirable actions!! But what difference does it make!! What did your abstinence actually offer the rest of the world!!?? Is it a safer place for girls? Do we all benefit from healthier relationships?

I'm sure you're a lovely boy Guest but I'd freaking threaten you with death before I allowed you anywhere near my daughter!!
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Options
    How was he a child at 19?
    I wonder what his friends thought of him having a relationship with a 14 year old, someone who isn't even old enough to legally go to the pub.
  • Guest101
    Options
    Good for you! I commend and applaud your admirable actions!! But what difference does it make!! Well you said: Haha - some of you place much higher moral and legal restrictions on other people's kids than you do on yourselves - I was simply pointing out that was not accurate. What did your abstinence actually offer the rest of the world!!?? - I'm unclear of your question, if I understand it, I suppose it meant that there wasn't the possibility of an unwanted child being raised by another child. I've had many healthy relationships with adults, so it's not strictly abstinence. Is it a safer place for girls? - I don't know, I've not had the inclination to assault, sexually or otherwise, anyone. (on a side note 34% of victims of domestic violence / violence within a relationship are male) Do we all benefit from healthier relationships? - As a result of me not breaking the law?, I doubt it.

I'm sure you're a lovely boy Guest but I'd freaking threaten you with death before I allowed you anywhere near my daughter!!

In the nicest possible way, I have zero interest in your daughter. (but I doubt you'd be able to threaten me)
  • OldMotherTucker
    Options
    Genuine question - when you say this, do you mean that he has some kind of learning disability?

Hmm!! - my boy had development difficulties because he had a facial deformity. Not stupid or lacking intelligence in any way, he just wanted what his peers were experiencing - Joy, happiness, love, sex. dating - all the stuff that social media waves in your face 24/7.

It takes a really strong person to stand alone in this world. To know you don't fit 'the profile' or 'the norm' sucks!! To find acceptance and happiness is a common goal.and for a short time, my son,who wouldn't hurt anyone, found that with a really sweet girl!!

No one got hurt - no one died!!
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hmm!! - my boy had development difficulties because he had a facial deformity. Not stupid or lacking intelligence in any way, he just wanted what his peers were experiencing - Joy, happiness, love, sex. dating - all the stuff that social media waves in your face 24/7.

It takes a really strong person to stand alone in this world. To know you don't fit 'the profile' or 'the norm' sucks!! To find acceptance and happiness is a common goal.and for a short time, my son,who wouldn't hurt anyone, found that with a really sweet girl!!

No one got hurt - no one died!!

But he could have had most of things you mention without having sex with her, surely that's the point?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure