The Talk! Uni parents.

Options

Comments

• Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hmm!! - my boy had development difficulties because he had a facial deformity. Not stupid or lacking intelligence in any way, he just wanted what his peers were experiencing - Joy, happiness, love, sex. dating - all the stuff that social media waves in your face 24/7.

It takes a really strong person to stand alone in this world. To know you don't fit 'the profile' or 'the norm' sucks!! To find acceptance and happiness is a common goal.and for a short time, my son,who wouldn't hurt anyone, found that with a really sweet girl!!

No one got hurt - no one died!!

What if he'd been 21, or 22, or 25, at what age would you have thought it was wrong for him to have sex with a 14 year old girl?

If you had a 14 year old daughter, what would be the upper age that you'd accept as a boyfriend for her, knowing they were having sex?
  • Izadora
    Izadora Posts: 2,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Consenting adults encouraged him to break the law!!

What has the consent of anyone other than the girl in question got to do with it? Her parents could have put a condom in his hand and said "Go for it son, you know she wants it" but that still doesn't make her legally capable of giving consent and therefore he, as an adult, should be considered responsible for his actions.
  • OldMotherTucker
    Options
    My son is now 25 and he is still a child to me!!
  • OldMotherTucker
    Options
    Izadora wrote: »
    What has the consent of anyone other than the girl in question got to do with it? Her parents could have put a condom in his hand and said "Go for it son, you know she wants it" but that still doesn't make her legally capable of giving consent and therefore he, as an adult, should be considered responsible for his actions.
    Get this and get it straight!

They texted each other - she said 'If you love me, you will sleep with me!'
  • Person_one
    Options
    My son is now 25 and he is still a child to me!!

Would you still think it was ok for him to sleep with a 14 year old?
  • OldMotherTucker
    Options
    Person_one wrote: »
    What if he'd been 21, or 22, or 25, at what age would you have thought it was wrong for him to have sex with a 14 year old girl?

If you had a 14 year old daughter, what would be the upper age that you'd accept as a boyfriend for her, knowing they were having sex?

My 14 year old daughters did not date!! Full stop! End of!!
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Options

He didn't have to do it though? He was the adult in the situation, he could have said no.
  • Person_one
    Options

So? That's the whole point of the age of consent, teenagers are full of hormones and most are not mature or cognitively developed enough to decide to sleep with an older man when they are 14, the age of consent is there to protect them from predatory and exploitative adults who don't care about that.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

What would you have advised your daughter if she'd received a text like that from her boyfriend - at any age?
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Options
    My 14 year old daughters did not date!! Full stop! End of!!
    Can you not see how massively hypocritical that is? You won't let your own 14 year old daughters date, but have absolutely no problem with your son sleeping with a different 14 year old girl?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure