The Talk! Uni parents.

Options
1141516171820»

Comments

• OldMotherTucker
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »
    Can you explain the below then please:

DD1 aged 21 is engaged and has bought a house with her gorgeous BF/SO/fiance - he's 5 years older than her!! They technically starting dating before they were of that age of 'majoritory' but they didn't get caught:p:p

As that reads as them dating from when she was aged 15..... (given you already said 14 was too young and 16 would be ofcourse legally ok)

The age of majority is 18 - that's when you are classed as an adult. That's when you no longer get Child benefit for them and they can vote/get credit/be adults;)

Below the age of 18 they can technically still be sent home from school for having the wrong haircut:rotfl::rotfl:
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    The age of majority is 18 - that's when you are classed as an adult. That's when you no longer get Child benefit for them and they can vote/get credit/be adults;)

Below the age of 18 they can technically still be sent home from school for having the wrong haircut:rotfl::rotfl:

That's not what you meant, as why would them getting caught be an issue?

I think this is more fantasy than reality to be frank.
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Options
    Gosh, this really is the thread that keeps on giving.
  • Andypandyboy
    Andypandyboy Posts: 2,472 Forumite
    edited 8 October 2016 at 12:30PM
    Options
    So many things come to mind here but off the top of my head ( and as a parent!) what stands out are the following: you seem to have raised your kids in a bubble where they were babied and shown that they could do no wrong. You have given them the viewpoint that peope are not to be trusted. You have given them the understanding that you will back them even if they are wrong, even if they are criminally wrong. You have brought them up to feel others bear more responsibility than they do in any given situation. You look to absolve them of guilt.

I believe that there are quotes on this thread to explain why I have inferred all the points above. Please correct me if you feel I am wrong.

Frankly, I am astounded that having had the near miss that your son did you can defend his actions. You are sending out the wrong message and one which may cause him to repeat the situation. You paint him as a very vulnerable, impressionable young man, even now at 25. That being the case he could easily gravitate towards much younger girls. You are playing with fire if you do not addresss that issue with him or give him the understanding that he was WRONG.

Part of parenting adults is accepting that no matter if a part of you will always see them as babies, they really are not. The world does not see it that way nor react to them that way.

Many of your posts read as if you thought no one else on this thread had ever parented teens or adults....newsflash, many of us have and yet we still believe that your son was the one who should have known better, and that if he didn't you should have firmly shown him the error of his ways and not mittigated it for him.
  • OldMotherTucker
    Options
    So many things come to mind here but off the top of my head ( and as a parent!) what stands out are the following: you seem to have raised your kids in a bubble where they were babied and shown that they could do no wrong. You have given them the viewpoint that peope are not to be trusted. You have given them the understanding that you will back them even if they are wrong, even if they are criminally wrong. You have brought them up to feel others bear more responsibility than they do in any given situation. You look to absolve them of guilt.

I believe that there are quotes on this thread to explain why I have inferred all the points above. Please correct me if you feel I am wrong.

Frankly, I am astounded that having had the near miss that your son did you can defend his actions. You are sending out the wrong message and one which may cause him to repeat the situation. You paint him as a very vulnerable, impressionable young man, even now at 25. That being the case he could easily gravitate towards much younger girls. You are playing with fire if you do not addresss that issue with him or give him the understanding that he was WRONG.

Part of parenting adults is accepting that no matter if a part of you will always see them as babies, they really are not. The world does not see it that way nor react to them that way.

Many of your posts read as if you thought no one else on this thread had ever parented teens or adults....newsflash, many of us have and yet we still believe that your son was the one who should have known better, and that if he didn't you should have firmly shown him the error of his ways and not mittigated it for him.

You assume so much and I really CBA to finish reading your post!

If you cannot see the hypocrisy, not just in her parents actions but in society as well!

Anyone who thinks you can tell youngsters to control their deepest feelings and urges is living in a bubble!!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    After reading the whole of this thread I just want to say. I'm glad I'm 'grown up'.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure