PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2016 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• skint_breeder_5
    Options
    Skinty declares day 2 £19.49 at Mr T. Didn't have enough peanut butter to make Thai Peanut noodles last night or garlic.

I am trying to work some treats in to this budget, got some new "Glitter jelly" to try, as it is vegetarian, which means in theory we should save money as I wont need to buy one veggie one and one gelatine one AND it is something a little out of the ordinary.

Got a reduced priced Thai meal for 2, £7 down to £4.13, so I am splitting one of the chicken curry between the meat eaters tonight and one for the freezer, then share out the rice with the Thai noodles and do it again later in the week to make the most of buying in the garlic and peanut butter.

I have consumed some of DD1 Caramel Tea bags, so was looking for a replacement, couldn't find it so treat no 2 was 50 finest Chocolate Tea bags, not as weird as they sound and quite palatable.

Ironically the big spends on the receipt were baking potatoes £2 and cheese £2.50. The pots were all consumed at lunchtime, but I was very stingy with the cheese, so hopefully that will last a little longer.

Feline treats aka bribes for getting them washed and spot on treatment done also included in todays shopping.

Cats are most definitely not happy, especially DPC1 who has spend a good 6 hours licking herself.

Not leaving the house now for the night, so we will declare end of day 2 ......£24.49/£200 ....
    The cold never bothered me anyway
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    First day of challenge and I have a dilemma already... Please advise...
    Dad and I went shopping together and he bought some of it for me.
    Shall I just subtract what came out of my purse, or what was in the trolley?
    I guess everyone has their own way of doing things. Personally, I only count what I spend.

I had a spend yesterday. Have updated sig.
  • Sayschezza
    Sayschezza Posts: 744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    £3 On bread and salad today
    All that clutter used to be money
  • FurryBeastOz
    FurryBeastOz Posts: 1,380 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Another NSD. Yay
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    Mmmm. 26lb at 1/7/18. Oops:o
  • mrs_Badger
    mrs_Badger Posts: 97 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I'm new. I'd like to join in for this month £300

It's just me and my husband and this will include household items, toiletries and pet food.
    I try to go to the local co-op every day and shop in the reduced sections, OH is gluten and dairy free due to Colitis, so I do spend money on some of the special things for him.

It will be interesting to see how much I end up spending.

So far;

Sack dry dog food £29
    Yellow sticker bits £4.80
    DFW - Paid so far - 0% CC's - £2 / £2000, £27 / £1200, £32 / £1800,
    Owe on Paypal Credit - £1920
  • claireyfairy82
    Options
    Hi all I've not been around here for about 18 months but really enjoyed the challenge before.

I got a bit of a wake up call when I added up how much I spent on food last month :eek:, horrific doesn't even come close to describing the situation.

There are 2 adults and 2 young girls (both of whom swim competitively and eat about the same as teenage boys), 2 dogs, a cat and a hamster. I'm going to keep the pet food separate at the moment until I get up and running properly again.

My month started on the 29th July and will end on the 30th August. I do have reasonably full freezers, store cupboards could be better but never mind!

I'll start with £320 for the month, this gives me £50 a week covers my £60 online meat order and my 2 x 30 trays of eggs from local farm at £5 each.:j

I've started already sitting at £49.80/ £320
    JAN - £208.56/£250 NSD-8
    FEB - £121.51/£200 NSD- 1
    Penny a day challenge #001: £200.79/£667.95
  • t14cy_t
    t14cy_t Posts: 1,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    nsd yesterday, yipee! hitting the ys trail tonight though. x
  • oceanspirit
    oceanspirit Posts: 1,021 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    £3 for bits OH bought for me. Will get a smaller vegbox this week as still plenty from last week and have been given some homegrown as well.
    Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,561 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Florence_J wrote: »
    I feel very in control of the budget for the first time in ages and have got some lovely meals planned. I am going to make a leek 'barlotto' (a risotto type meal but made with pearl barley instead) which will cost me about 90p for the leeks and 25p for the pearl barley for two people.

Ooh I have a leek in the fridge and trying to stretch not buying more veg for one day... I also have barley and garlic and stock, is there more to the recipe than that? Please may I have your recipe? Just remembered I also have two big field mushrooms, one of them would top it lovely I think!!

August Grocery Challenge:
    26/07/16: Tesco (Breakfast Things) ...£7.75.......£92.25 remaining
    26/07/16: Tesco (Stir Fry Sauce) .....£0.68.......£91.57 remaining
    27/07/16: H&B (Tofu - 20% off ) ......£3.58.......£87.99 remaining
    27/07/16: Veg Man ....................£3.48.......£84.51 remaining
    27/07/16: Tesco (Flowers for mum) ....£3.00.......£81.51 remaining
    28/07/16: Tesco (Snacky Things) ......£2.96.......£78.55 remaining
    28/07/16: Chip Shop ..................£3.15.......£75.40 remaining
    29/07/16: M&S (Mezze bits etc) ......£21.85.......£53.55 remaining
    29/07/16: Tesco (Veg Bits) ...........£4.14.......£49.41 remaining
    30/07/16: Tesco (Frzn bits, looroll) £22.80.......£26.61 remaining

I had no grocery spends on Sunday, Monday or Tuesday, and aiming not to today either... I shouldn't need to and certainly don't have the budget!

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • Smiley87
    Smiley87 Posts: 241 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    £13.72 in Farmfoods today, so now up to £15.70. Hoping for a few NSDs or minimal spends over the next few days - I'd be chuffed if I can get to the end of the week under £25.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure