PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

August 2016 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Gipsy_Danger
    Options
    Can I join?
    I've got a budget of £200
    For August.
    That's for food, cleaning stuff and toiletries for 1 adult and 2 children and sometimes an extra adult.

Wednesdays my food shop day and spent £31.06 in Aldi,
    I've got a few bits in cupboards and freezers so that should take me to Friday, when I'll do a food shop to take on Holiday with us, staying with relatives in Wales so cheap and cheerful!

And I spent £5.85 in superdrug, on 2 packs of hair dye and hairspray and got a free shampoo and conditioner. 😊

So week one £36.91 down.
  • LelleUK
    LelleUK Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 4 August 2016 at 8:06PM
    Options
    Can I please join too?

£180 until the 1st of September for 1 adult, 2 children and 2 cats.
    This is for everything - food, cleaning, cat supplies and toiletries.

Spend £34.33 in Asda yesterday and that should do until Tuesday :)
  • oceanspirit
    oceanspirit Posts: 1,025 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Lovely to see lots of people joining in.

£2.59 at health food shop and £8.75 on this week's vegbox. That's the storecupboard things all bought now for the month so should just be weekly vegboxes now.
    Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    edited 6 August 2016 at 6:57AM
    Options
    £85.71 to add to my total from the last few days spent on markdowns in work, savers, Aldis and a Morrisons online shop. I havent added toiletries for eldest daughter or groceries bought on Tuesday and today to help her out, as we won't be consuming/using it. I have a few more receipts in my handbag, but it's not accessible at the mo.

Feels like its going to be a long month already, and i am only a week in tomorrow ��
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £118.89 April £106.38 May £?
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • milasavesmoney
    milasavesmoney Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    $41.21 today and all sale items that will last awhile. We are away for the weekend so hopefully not too many meals out.

Signature updated.
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • Rosesandrainbows
    Options
    Just popping in to report that in the past 5 days I still haven't spent any money buying food :j. I've been making meals using up the contents of my cupboards and freezer but probably can't go on like this for much longer without dishing up some very interesting meal combinations!!
    I will need to do a weekly shop over the weekend although I will be taking a list and hopefully spending no more than £45.
  • t14cy_t
    t14cy_t Posts: 1,320 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    nsd yesterday. yipee. hoping to last until monday. x
  • Flat_Eric
    Flat_Eric Posts: 4,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 August 2016 at 8:13AM
    Options
    Hi all. I'd like to start partaking in the challenge again after a long absence. I'm undecided about setting a budget this month/next month and think instead that I'll just monitor my spending (try hard to spend less than I have been) and then endeavour to reduce it even more in October/November/December.

I know I've been overspending .... and I want to change my ways.

I have been trying to use up the contents of my fridge this week rather than have my home delivery shop.

Tonight's tea is stir fry veg, fresh pasta and a jar of chilli pesto sauce that has a best before date of 31 January 2015! It looks ok so I presume it will be fine to eat?!
  • dangerbadger
    Options
    Spent £3.35 last night on ys fruit, veg and yoghurts that should see us through for the next 3 or 4 days.
  • AccyAlly
    AccyAlly Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not had 1 nsd this week, the envelope with my receipts is bulging already and I am only a week in, luckily we are back at work next week after a two week staycation so I should be able to get back in the swing of things. Will count up the damage on Sunday.
    GC Jan '17 £237.54/£350
    GC Dec £193.02/£400

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills