PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

August 2016 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• t14cy_t
    t14cy_t Posts: 1,320 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    did a YS rampage last night in tesco and morrisons, nabbed lots of meat, fish and cheese mostly. spent £14 original cost in total would of been £87!! kerching!!! x
  • Matody
    Matody Posts: 87 Forumite
    Options
    Bit late but hope that's okay and I can jump in.

Budget is going to be £80 per week, so from now till the end of the month can you put me down for

£320

that's for groceries, toiletries, laundry and pets. Currently 2 adults and 2 kids, a cat, snake, hamster and 2 frogs!

Grocery Challenge - Aug 407.97/£320 - NSD 3/5
    September 195.19 / 300

Konmarie my house along side being a flylady!
  • Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    elsiepac wrote: »

Ooh I have a leek in the fridge and trying to stretch not buying more veg for one day... I also have barley and garlic and stock, is there more to the recipe than that? Please may I have your recipe? Just remembered I also have two big field mushrooms, one of them would top it lovely I think!!

Hi there, there's not much more to the recipe than that. I just lightly cooked the leek for a couple of minutes and then added the barley and stock and cooked until the barley was tender. I hope you enjoy it :)
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • mrs_Badger
    mrs_Badger Posts: 97 Forumite
    Options
    Tesco shop today £58

Running total
    Pet food £38
    House / toiletries £10.80
    Food £50.10

£98.90 / £300
    DFW - Paid so far - 0% CC's - £2 / £2000, £27 / £1200, £32 / £1800,
    Owe on Paypal Credit - £1920
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi guys, i hope it's OK if i join again? I have joined, re joined, and joined again several months ago.

I actually gave up joining this thread because i have NEVER managed to stay within my budget :o
    But i really seriously need to from now on, so i am hoping you can all help and support me while i try to do it (again).

My budget is £350 for my month which runs from 27th July-27th August. I am already on £300, so only £50 left for the month.

BUT i do have a full pantry. All i'll need is F&V, bread and eggsfor the rest of the month.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Ok, so it's going to be REALLY TIGHT - the unplanned spend of the cheese has thrown the budget, but hey..... spent £6.83 today, but got a ton of stuff and also my salad stuff. I have stock cubes to pay for - 5 packs of the value ones someones getting me, so that will just leave £22 for the month. I really don't need anything and am fully stocked, so the plan is to not shop for a week and then that leaves me £7 each week for a little top up to accompany whats in stores. Very doable theoretically, but hopefully I don't get tempted by stuff I don't need. Have a good w/e everyone (when it arrives), see you in a week if all goes to plan.
  • Smiley87
    Smiley87 Posts: 241 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    NSD today :)
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    XSpender wrote: »
    Please can I rejoin after a few months away. We have moved house and have taken our eye off the ball and our food spends for 2 adults and a 6 year old who eats mainly at school/childcare are frankly embarrassing.:o

My budget for August is £330 and starts tomorrow until next pay day. We are away for a weeks holiday too.

I am going back to aldi and will just use sainsbury for the GF stuff and some items like almond butter Aldi don't stock.

DH is on board as we found out today we need to spend £4000 on a new boiler:eek:

Change of plan and budget amount!

As our biggest downfall is nipping to the shop to get something for tea we decided to do a big stock up shop and only shop at the weekend/as required for milk, bread, beer and fresh fruit. We don't normally shop like this so we are having a trial to see if it works better for us. This has meant that we have spent more than planned - £347 to be exact and will have another £72 for top ups and beer between now and the end of the month.

My new target is £420, still significantly lower than last months spends and our freezer is chock a block.

I have checked the fridge today and there are some bits that needing up tonight and tomorrow night and some that will have to be squeezed into the freezer :) I haven't spent any money on food since Saturday :)

We have still a fair bit of fruit and milk in and I am away with work for a couple of days next week so I may get away with only buying some bread and beer until the middle of next week.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    XSpender wrote: »

As our biggest downfall is nipping to the shop to get something for tea we decided to do a big stock up shop and only shop at the weekend/as required for milk, bread, beer and fresh fruit. We don't normally shop like this so we are having a trial to see if it works better for us.

This is what i am doing this month too. I have filled my pantry and spent £116 on canned, tinned and dried goods, as well as toiletries and non- food items (cat food and litter etc).

Then i have been aiming to spend about £40 a week for fresh stuff like F&V, bread and eggs etc.
  • guccigoo
    guccigoo Posts: 483 Forumite
    Options
    Can u please put me down for £220 till the 1st sept. This is for me,18yr DS , 11 yrdd and 3 cats
    I will lose 2 stone by this summer!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport