Lowcostholidays collapses – your rights as 140,000 hit by travel chaos

edited 18 July 2016 at 9:24AM in Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning
832 replies 114.3K views

Replies

• Does anybody have a phone number for Jet2 Holidays please? Their 0800 website number is now out of service.

Thanks
  • JJB1979JJB1979 Forumite
    8 Posts
    Hotel have confirmed that room isn't paid for. They are charging more to rebook (although I will call back on Monday when manager is in).

Hoppa is also now charging double what I paid originally for them to do the same transfer...

Making extra money out of this is pretty low,

At least Santander have said they will refund my debit card transaction up to amount paid so will mitigate loss.
  • edited 16 July 2016 at 10:44AM
    richardwrichardw Forumite
    19.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 16 July 2016 at 10:44AM
    wendylou38 wrote: »
    Still cannot get through to Ryanair - anyone know how much they charge to change flights?
    Can I not cancel the flights outright now that I have no accommodation?

Ryanair fees https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-info/help-centre/fees

Flight changes can be done through manage my booking on their website.

Your flights are likely to be non refundable
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • AntnshellAntnshell Forumite
    182 Posts
    Hi did anyone else book through teletext holidays?

It says on my accommodation voucher that one of the agents is LCH. I've called teletext to check and got through to an overseas contact centre they didn't know what I was talking about and said all is fine with booking.

Should I do any other checks? Was issued with an atol certificate which says I am covered as booking through truly travel ltd.

I am really confused any advice would be appreciated thanks
  • Moto2Moto2 Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    In my case, I am due to go in 10 days and I have trawled every single website and prices have gone through the roof for accommodation now (shameful cashing in!). That is if you can even find a hotel room somewhere.

Do we have any legal rights that the hotel can only charge us again the original amount we paid (if we are able to re-book the same room/hotel)? or can they just hold us to ransom and name their price?!

The hotel have not been paid, they have been caught up in it the same as you so they will sell the room for the going rate.
    It's difficult to see how you can force them to uphold a contract they had, that has already been broken.
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
  • meanmummeanmum Forumite
    604 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I booked hotel only through hoteling.com
    I contacted the hotel in Crete by email, they have replied very promptly that the room is not paid for, and that we will have to pay them directly. They don't seem to be profiteering by increasing the price. This is a family run hotel, not a chain, and their biggest problem is that they have not been paid by LCH for recent stays........so it sounds like it's not just travellers who are losing money as a result of this.
  • richardwrichardw Forumite
    19.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Antnshell wrote: »
    ....Should I do any other checks?....

Perhaps call the hotel and see if they have anything about your booking.
  • SW17SW17 Forumite
    845 Posts
    hugo15 wrote: »
    Hmmm..... Although it says LCH booked with Expedia and I have a Travelscape Ref number they cannot find my booking. I have spoken to the hotel who have confirmed the booking is in place and that it is pre-paid. Now whether this means they have the cash or that they have a contract to get paid by Expedia I don't know. I'm trying to get a reference number from the hotel to give to Expedia. Maybe then I can find out if LCH paid Expedia. Resigned myself to the fact that I will probably have to pay again. For some reason I have paid 2/3rds of the holiday by credit card and 1/3 by debit card. Not sure what the chargeback position would be in this situation?

Your booking will have been made through a division of Expedia called Expedia Affiilate Netwrok (EAN), Travelscape is one of their legal entity names. It's possible Expedia's direct consumer customer service agents don't have access to EAN systems. EAN are actually based in London, but their call centres are all over the place. The booking will probably have been "prepaid" by Virtual Credit Card, whether that stands will largely depend on whether the hotel has been able to charge the card yet. If not, EAN may well cancel the booking if they are owed money for other bookings by Low Cost, though I don't know their exact policy.

In my case, I am due to go in 10 days and I have trawled every single website and prices have gone through the roof for accommodation now (shameful cashing in!). That is if you can even find a hotel room somewhere.

Do we have any legal rights that the hotel can only charge us again the original amount we paid (if we are able to re-book the same room/hotel)? or can they just hold us to ransom and name their price?!

No, you don't have such rights, though the hotel will make more profit than they would have if you pay them what you would have paid Low Cost. Prices are not up because of this, they are up generally due to high demand in Spain and Portugal particularly.
  • BarterBarter Forumite
    593 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    I used PayPal which charged it to my Credit Card. Does anyone know if I can claim off the CC in these circumstances?
  • richardwrichardw Forumite
    19.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Barter wrote: »
    I used PayPal which charged it to my Credit Card. Does anyone know if I can claim off the CC in these circumstances?

See http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1789553
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides