Lowcostholidays collapses – your rights as 140,000 hit by travel chaos

Options

Comments

• Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you use a credit card for any portion of the booking, providing the total cost is £100 or more, you are protected for the whole booking. The banks are going to get hit badly with this and we may all find the cost of processing cards in the travel industry will go up as a result, and you know who pays at the end of the day..
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    This is not correct. The CC provider is also liable for the additional costs. I can't post a link but this example (from the FOS website) explains it well:

There was a similar situation a few years back when SilverJet went bust. Those who paid by CC were able to reclaim the full cost of a business class ticket with another airline, which were far more expensive than their original flights.

Well that is interesting. Let's hope that provides some hope for those caught with this LCH situation.

Assume this is the link reference you refer to,
    http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/technical_notes/goods-and-services-bought-with-credit.html

I do wonder how this would pan out with something as complex the multiple components of a holiday.

I hope people don't have to make individual representation to the FOS as this could be a long drawn out process.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Alan_Bowen wrote: »
    ...The banks are going to get hit badly with this and we may all find the cost of processing cards in the travel industry will go up as a result, and you know who pays at the end of the day..

Profits from credit card processing are enormous, my guess is that there'll be no change.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Edwardevans606
    Options
    I paid for a holiday with Lowcostholidays (flights, hotel, transfers and airport parking) on credit card due to fly out 6th August. Called Barclaycard to state I wanted to claim under section 75, and perhaps because they were an offshore call centre, they were unsure of what I was going on about! I think I had my flights confirmed as I have received etickets from Ryanair. My hotel is cancelled and I just want to cancel the whole thing. But would section 75 cover the flights refunded as well? I mean, if i cant get alternative accomodation, I'd rather cancel everything. Its no good having a flight but no confirmed accomodation or an unsuitable alternative. So far the only people to have contacted me are the transfers company........
  • skea56
    skea56 Posts: 405 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Newshound!
    Options
    Sent an email claim to administrators who said hotel would not have been paid for.

Spoke to jet2 who confirmed flights are still valid and then a lovely girl Fiona was very helpful in getting us the same hotel for almost £200 less!! So much for lowcostholidays!!!

Credit card disputes not open until Monday but was wondering can we claim for part of the original booking,as the flight costs are fine,we would only be claiming the £800 for the hotel.

Such a mess!!

Sk56
    Savings: £2 Jar: £804/£1000
    Debts: Santander 1211.12/1780.47 (32% Paid) Total Debt Paid Off £12871.66
  • st0ne5ish
    st0ne5ish Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Has anyone managed to re-book their unpaid room with the hotel? Did you get charged more?
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    .... if i cant get alternative accomodation......

Perhaps try and find alternative accommodation asap to confirm if it is unavailable.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • wendylou38
    Options
    richardw wrote: »
    Some airlines' flights are easily changeable, so consider doing this if the accommodation situation is very difficult.

Still cannot get through to Ryanair - anyone know how much they charge to change flights?
    Can I not cancel the flights outright now that I have no accommodation?
    Thanks
  • wendylou38
    Options
    richardw wrote: »
    Perhaps try and find alternative accommodation asap to confirm if it is unavailable.

In my case, I am due to go in 10 days and I have trawled every single website and prices have gone through the roof for accommodation now (shameful cashing in!). That is if you can even find a hotel room somewhere.

Do we have any legal rights that the hotel can only charge us again the original amount we paid (if we are able to re-book the same room/hotel)? or can they just hold us to ransom and name their price?!
  • Edwardevans606
    Options
    Tried looking and prices were extortionate! With the pound being what it is and demand high I fear the options are limited especially as we are on a budget....hence why we booked with Lowcostholidays....lesson learned for the future though.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure