Lowcostholidays collapses – your rights as 140,000 hit by travel chaos

Options

Comments

• glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Barter wrote: »
    I used PayPal which charged it to my Credit Card. Does anyone know if I can claim off the CC in these circumstances?

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/PayPal-Section75

Don't think so, but you could try claiming from paypal as not recieved
  • meanmum
    meanmum Posts: 610 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I didn't even think about the impact for the hotels in this, but it appears that not only are they not being paid by LCH for future stays, they may also not have been paid for recent stays - so their losses could be huge.
    Try to see it from their point of view; they are also going to be in a state of uncertainty around future bookings, so you can't really blame them for not holding these unpaid reservations & selling the rooms. They may actually be very relieved to have these bookings confirmed! So the best thing may be to contact the hotel directly, and confirm you do still want the reservation. The hotel may or may not honour the original price agreed with LCH.
  • meanmum
    meanmum Posts: 610 Forumite
    Options
    Re PayPal, surely this is covered by PayPal buyer protection?
  • droid1978
    droid1978 Posts: 60 Forumite
    Options
    We are due to stay on 1 August for 9 nights in Majorca.

I have spoken to hotel and they have my booking but have not been paid. I was provided booking department email address.

I emailed the hotel booking department which was closed at weekend. I have received a response saying that I could pay outstanding balance. Very impressed by service.

I have paid using Nationwide visa debit and instigated a chargeback. I was advised I will receive a credit back.

How reliable is the chargeback system?
    Smile and be happy, things can usually get worse!
  • st0ne5ish
    st0ne5ish Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    I spoke to our CC provider (Tesco bank) and they confirmed they would definitely refund the original cost of the hotel and transfers.

They would not confirm if they will refund any extra cost if the hotel charge extra to re-book the room when we call them on Monday. They said that would have to go to the disputes team to decide.
  • ses6jwg
    ses6jwg Posts: 5,381 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    droid1978 wrote: »
    We are due to stay on 1 August for 9 nights in Majorca.

I have spoken to hotel and they have my booking but have not been paid. I was provided booking department email address.

I emailed the hotel booking department which was closed at weekend. I have received a response saying that I could pay outstanding balance. Very impressed by service.

I have paid using Nationwide visa debit and instigated a chargeback. I was advised I will receive a credit back.

How reliable is the chargeback system?

Keep me updated as paid via Nationwide debit card also!
  • sharp910sh
    sharp910sh Posts: 523 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have started chargeback with natwest visa
  • Moneyer
    Moneyer Posts: 114 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A friend is currently on holiday in Switzerland, in a hotel booked and paid for in advance with Co-op Travel (without flights - these were booked separately elsewhere and are unaffected).

His contract apparently says it is with Co-op Travel themselves, but the hotel are saying that an intermediary has gone into administration and they haven't been paid, so they want him to pay the bill. We suspect the intermediary may be part of lowcostholidays but this is not entirely clear: matters are confused by the involvement of yet another intermediary in between, called JacTravel, although there doesn't seem to be any suggestion they are in trouble.)

Anyone know if it is true that the Co-op (perhaps indirectly) use lowcostholidays? Or has another subcontractor gone under? I presume since his contract is actually with the Co-op in this case, he'll have a cast iron claim against them to recover anything extra he ends up having to pay out?
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,851 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    To the person and I suspect there may be many more, who booked through Teletext Holidays (Truly Travel), if you have an ATOL Certificate you are fully protected and it is their responsibility to rebook and pay for the accommodation. The problem of course is that they are a UK company with an Indian call centre who may not have been told anything and certainly won't understand an ATOL certificate.

So long as the Certificate says Flight Plus or Package Holiday in the bottom right hand corner Truly Travel have to sort it out. I would advise you send an email which may reach their HQ in Harrow, this may be the first time they have got caught, but at least you should be protected unlike those who booked with Low Cost directly
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 118 Forumite
    Options
    Alan_Bowen wrote: »
    If you use a credit card for any portion of the booking, providing the total cost is £100 or more, you are protected for the whole booking. The banks are going to get hit badly with this and we may all find the cost of processing cards in the travel industry will go up as a result, and you know who pays at the end of the day..

Thanks that's good to know that I have some coverage.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure