Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes )

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
4.3K replies 811.9K views

Replies

• Woody1993Woody1993 Forumite
    5 Posts
    First Anniversary First Post
    Morning everyone. Our Sky TV & Broadband contract finishes at the start of September and was set to rise from £57 to £77 a month. The most I could get out of them was to match the new customer offer for £59, only after I told them about it. 

Our current package (set to expire next month):

Sky Signature: £14
    Sky Sports Complete Pack: £16
    Sky Sports HD: £2
    Sky Broadband Essential: £25

Total: £57

New customer offer:

Sky Signature: £21
    Sky Sports Complete Pack (HD): £20
    Sky Broadband Essential Plus: £18

Total: £59

I don't really see why I should be paying more to renew my contract for the same package so went ahead and handed in my cancellation notice. I'm happy with our current prices for Signature and Sky Sports but would like them to match the Broadband price of the new customer offer. I still intend to stay, but using it to hope for a better deal. I really hope it doesn't backfire!

I'd be keen to hear what people think a reasonable price is for the package above - I was thinking sub £50 would be ideal(?) – and also how they usually go about renegotiating if no deals come through in the notice period. Do you just go on the live chat and pretend to have gotten a text or miss call from Sky?

• Joe9090Joe9090 Forumite
    162 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Mwood1 said:
    Joe9090 said:
    mits999 said:
    People should be paying no more than 
    sky signature £13 to £15
    hd free to £1
    kids £1 to £2
    Sky sports £10
    Sky cinema £5
    bt sport £10 to £13
    netflix £3 to £4
    multiscreen £7 to £10

usually these prices are given when you have given notice to cancel and in some cases fully cancelled
    If you look back through the pages here to see what people have actually agreed nobody has got signature on its own for £13. I have never seen anything like those prices for BT Sport. I would have been happy for Sky to match the Plusnet price of £15 for BT Sport but they would not go anywhere near it! 
    I have Signature on its own for £14(no admin fee) there was an issue so they gave me a £20 credit so £13pcm for the year. NB. There will probably be a price rise next April.
    That is a great price for Signature on it's own and will give the Original Poster something to aim for. Obviously mits knows more than me! It would be interesting to hear how Argustimewas gets on.
  • collinscacollinsca Forumite
    88 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Woody1993 said:
    Morning everyone. Our Sky TV & Broadband contract finishes at the start of September and was set to rise from £57 to £77 a month. The most I could get out of them was to match the new customer offer for £59, only after I told them about it. 

New customer offer:

I don't really see why I should be paying more to renew my contract for the same package so went ahead and handed in my cancellation notice. I'm happy with our current prices for Signature and Sky Sports but would like them to match the Broadband price of the new customer offer. I still intend to stay, but using it to hope for a better deal. I really hope it doesn't backfire!

I'd be keen to hear what people think a reasonable price is for the package above - I was thinking sub £50 would be ideal(?) – and also how they usually go about renegotiating if no deals come through in the notice period. Do you just go on the live chat and pretend to have gotten a text or miss call from Sky?

please can you send me a link to this offer so i can ring up and reference it in my negotiations? ive had a look but cant see it... thanks!
  • Woody1993Woody1993 Forumite
    5 Posts
    First Anniversary First Post
    collinsca said:
    Woody1993 said:

New customer offer:

please can you send me a link to this offer so i can ring up and reference it in my negotiations? ive had a look but cant see it... thanks!
    I can't post links, but basically add /deal at the end of the Sky URL, select the Sky TV and Sky Sports Deal, and then add broadband as you go along the checkout funnel.
  • mits999mits999 Forumite
    82 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Joe9090 said:
    Mwood1 said:
    Joe9090 said:
    mits999 said:
    sky signature £13 to £15
    hd free to £1
    kids £1 to £2
    Sky sports £10
    Sky cinema £5
    bt sport £10 to £13
    netflix £3 to £4
    multiscreen £7 to £10

usually these prices are given when you have given notice to cancel and in some cases fully cancelled
    If you look back through the pages here to see what people have actually agreed nobody has got signature on its own for £13. I have never seen anything like those prices for BT Sport. I would have been happy for Sky to match the Plusnet price of £15 for BT Sport but they would not go anywhere near it! 
    I have Signature on its own for £14(no admin fee) there was an issue so they gave me a £20 credit so £13pcm for the year. NB. There will probably be a price rise next April.
    That is a great price for Signature on it's own and will give the Original Poster something to aim for. Obviously mits knows more than me! It would be interesting to hear how Argustimewas gets on.
    Current sky employee lol
  • Joe9090Joe9090 Forumite
    162 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    mits999 said:
    Joe9090 said:
    Mwood1 said:
    Joe9090 said:
    mits999 said:
    sky signature £13 to £15
    hd free to £1
    kids £1 to £2
    Sky sports £10
    Sky cinema £5
    bt sport £10 to £13
    netflix £3 to £4
    multiscreen £7 to £10

Current sky employee lol
     :D:D  lol
  • xssc32xxssc32x Forumite
    62 Posts
    Hi, going to call sky on behalf of my Dad who is an OAP and not confident about calling regarding lowering his sky charges. What is the best number to call Retentions or best department to deal with, ideally freephone number 

cheers 
    Si
  • CaS970CaS970 Forumite
    2 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I left Sky on Tuesday after 30 years, my package came to an end and I really wanted to stay but they was arrogant over the phone and said ‘The best we can do is offer you the same price as a new customer would get’. That’d cost over £150 a month for me! However, the same day I signed up to Virgin Media and from the 16th September I’ll be paying £94 for more channels, 600mbps broadband and an Unlimited Data Sim. 2 Multiscreen boxes too (which is the same as I get from Sky)

Sky have offered me nothing, not even £5 knocked off! Not a good way to treat 30 years of loyalty I must say.
  • mits999mits999 Forumite
    82 Posts
    CaS970 said:
    I left Sky on Tuesday after 30 years, my package came to an end and I really wanted to stay but they was arrogant over the phone and said ‘The best we can do is offer you the same price as a new customer would get’. That’d cost over £150 a month for me! However, the same day I signed up to Virgin Media and from the 16th September I’ll be paying £94 for more channels, 600mbps broadband and an Unlimited Data Sim. 2 Multiscreen boxes too (which is the same as I get from Sky)

Sky have offered me nothing, not even £5 knocked off! Not a good way to treat 30 years of loyalty I must say.
    Virgin deal is much better and cheaper 
  • ArgustimewasArgustimewas Forumite
    3 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    After cancellation I received a text offing me to message or phone to consider retention options. Decided to use the messaging option and eventually got my Sky TV to what I consider acceptable:

Sky Signature & HD  (no netflix) £21 for 18 month contract. 

I don't believe this is too bad as I have no other Sky packs and no Sky broadband.