Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes )

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
4.4K replies 813.6K views

Replies

• ylcmylcm Forumite
    7 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary First Post
    Placed my cancellation at the start of this month, and waited for Sky to chase me.
    Got a letter in the post last week offering Signature, Sports & Cinema for £37, but had decided to swap to Netflix instead.
    Got a call from Winback team today and agreed the following on a 18 month contract,

Sky signature at     £16
    Sports HD              £14
    Ultimate TV (Netflix) £5
    HD                            £4

making a total of £39 per month with the £10 admin fee offset with a credit.

I might have been able to shave another £1 off HD, but was satisfied to renew at under £40 (at least until the next round of Sky price increases...)

• edited 23 July at 8:31AM
    brewerdavebrewerdave Forumite
    7.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 July at 8:31AM
    ylcm said:
    Placed my cancellation at the start of this month, and waited for Sky to chase me.
    Got a letter in the post last week offering Signature, Sports & Cinema for £37, but had decided to swap to Netflix instead.
    Got a call from Winback team today and agreed the following on a 18 month contract,

Sky signature at     £16
    Sports HD              £14
    Ultimate TV (Netflix) £5
    HD                            £4

making a total of £39 per month with the £10 admin fee offset with a credit.

Done well there - £4pm less than I achieved altho' I didn't actually get to cancellation. Interesting that the admin charge was £10 -wanted to charge me £20 but got that offset. The amount for the charge seems to be random!
  • collinscacollinsca Forumite
    88 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Grav15 said:
    paying £43
    with sky and superfast broadband 

Hi
    How did you get this deal? 
    was it customer services via a promotion or discounted prices  i.e. from retention?
    i used your figures to renegotiate talking to retention, and they said you must have got them all via promotion from customer services. retention said i need a promo code to get the deals.
    hitting a brick wall with my negotiations; they say ive got the best deal possible.

what im on (18 month contract)
    Sky Broadband Essential

£30.00
    Discounted by £5.00 for 18 months
    -£5.00
    Discounted by £2.00 for 18 months
    -£2.00
    £23.00

Sky TV

£31.00
    -£5.00
    Discounted by £8.00 for 18 months
    -£8.00
    £18.00

Sky Sports - Complete Pack

£30.00
    Discounted by £7.00 for 18 months
    -£7.00
    Discounted by £6.00 for 18 months
    -£6.00
    £17.00

advice appreciated!
  • collinscacollinsca Forumite
    88 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    As per above, where i have asked someone specifically how they got their deal, my new contract is below.
    Looking at other posts on here i felt i wasnt getting the best deal, so i spoke to retentiosn online and they are adamant they cant give me better. 
    Any advice on that statement from Sky and how i can get better appreciated!

what im on (18 month contract)
    Sky Broadband Essential

£30.00
    -£5.00
    Discounted by £2.00 for 18 months
    -£2.00
    £23.00

Sky TV

£31.00
    -£5.00
    Discounted by £8.00 for 18 months
    -£8.00
    £18.00

Sky Sports - Complete Pack

£30.00
    Discounted by £7.00 for 18 months
    -£7.00
    Discounted by £6.00 for 18 months
    -£6.00
    £17.00

• paulmarks83paulmarks83 Forumite
    32 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Been with Sky for 17 years, (much longer actually on and off) and requested a deal... was offered:

Signature...19
    HD...3
    Sports...19
    Movies...8
    Multi-room...13
    TOTAL £62

Declined this, and I've heard nothing since. No emails, texts, phone calls, nothing on interactive.... tried an internet chat today and asked again, same offer... staying in the notice period and see how this plays out! 

Many many years ago I actually let the account lapse, and left for about 3 months. After a few 50% off postal deals, I was offered 75% for 18 months and re-joined! Not expecting a repeat of that though! Happy to hold out for a 50% though! 
    Debt at Highest, £18,000.00 :eek:

As of October 2010, Debt Free!!! :j:T
  • ArklightArklight Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭

I see this being advertised on social media for new and existing customers. It doesn't include HD so that would have to be added / haggled.

Is this a good deal? 
  • edited 27 July at 10:46AM
    majeedkmajeedk Forumite
    9 Posts
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 July at 10:46AM
    I really need advise from someone who has successfully haggled with Sky recently.

I've been with sky for nearly 5 years. Current contract includes Sky Q  (Sky Entertainment, HD, Kids, Box sets and HD) for £39.50. This current contract is up for renewal on 8/8/21 and I have been told that it will increase to £67 if I don't renew.

Sky website has a contract renewal option - It shows new monthly cost of £39.50 ( with £27.50 discount) which I am already paying.

To see if can get better deal I called Sky and they quoted me discounted price of £47 + £20 renewal fee. He gave me massive £1 discount for being a loyal customer.

I told him that as a new customer I can get all this (plus Netflix) for £48 so he is not giving me anything worthwhile. Furthermore since last year the price had increased by £6 (which is 10% both in 2020 and then in 2021). He couldn't give any reasonable answer .

On the point of online renewal quote being lower then his offer... he said the even that price will go up by £9 from 8/8/21 (my renewal date) and total will become £48.50.

I think that either he was misguided or Sky is running a con on their website because this price increase of £9 is not mentioned anywhere in online renewal section. According to T&Cs  (quoted below)  prices can / will only increase once a year and by up to 10% only and AFAIK £9 increase is greater than 10% and hence breach on their T&Cs. plus they usually increase around April/May time.

Paying for your Sky services and your bill

• Prices may increase and services may vary, including during the minimum term. We will let you know about any material changes and your options before we make them.

• In your minimum term, Sky TV prices may increase once every 12 months by up to 10%. These limits do not apply to other Sky services.

• We will bill you monthly in advance for all your subscription services. Other charges, such as Sky Store or non-inclusive call charges will be billed in arrears. Any offers will be shown on your statement.

• We will send you confirmation of your Direct Debit agreement separately.

• You can view your bill at least 14 days before your monthly payment due date, make payments and manage your account through the My Sky app or visit sky.com/mysky. If you're a Sky Q customer, press Home on your Sky Q remote and go to My Account.

• We may charge any one off charges you owe us to the card you used to pay for your set up or upfront payment.

• superbigalsuperbigal Forumite
    408 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    majeedk said:
    I really need advise from someone who has successfully haggled with Sky recently.

I've been with sky for nearly 5 years. Current contract includes Sky Q  (Sky Entertainment, HD, Kids, Box sets and HD) for £39.50. This current contract is up for renewal on 8/8/21 and I have been told that it will increase to £67 if I don't renew.

Sky website has a contract renewal option - It shows new monthly cost of £39.50 ( with £27.50 discount) which I am already paying.

To see if can get better deal I called Sky and they quoted me discounted price of £47 + £20 renewal fee. He gave me massive £1 discount for being a loyal customer.

I told him that as a new customer I can get all this (plus Netflix) for £48 so he is not giving me anything worthwhile. Furthermore since last year the price had increased by £6 (which is 10% both in 2020 and then in 2021). He couldn't give any reasonable answer .

On the point of online renewal quote being lower then his offer... he said the even that price will go up by £9 from 8/8/21 (my renewal date) and total will become £48.50.

I think that either he was misguided or Sky is running a con on their website because this price increase of £9 is not mentioned anywhere in online renewal section. According to T&Cs  (quoted below)  prices can / will only increase once a year and by up to 10% only and AFAIK £9 increase is greater than 10% and hence breach on their T&Cs. plus they usually increase around April/May time.

• Prices may increase and services may vary, including during the minimum term. We will let you know about any material changes and your options before we make them.

• In your minimum term, Sky TV prices may increase once every 12 months by up to 10%. These limits do not apply to other Sky services.

• We will bill you monthly in advance for all your subscription services. Other charges, such as Sky Store or non-inclusive call charges will be billed in arrears. Any offers will be shown on your statement.

• You can view your bill at least 14 days before your monthly payment due date, make payments and manage your account through the My Sky app or visit sky.com/mysky. If you're a Sky Q customer, press Home on your Sky Q remote and go to My Account.

• We may charge any one off charges you owe us to the card you used to pay for your set up or upfront payment.

Just check your forward bills for the next few months.  I suspect you will get that "contract renewal" rate but you are not actually recontracted.  Thus either enjoy the benefits or if you do see the price hiking then exercise your right to cancel.
  • edited 27 July at 11:59AM
    majeedkmajeedk Forumite
    9 Posts
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 July at 11:59AM
    Just check your forward bills for the next few months.  I suspect you will get that "contract renewal" rate but you are not actually recontracted.  Thus either enjoy the benefits or if you do see the price hiking then exercise your right to cancel.
    Thanks..
    as per your advice, I think I will just renew online and hope for prices to remain unchanged until next April/May . And if they increase by £9 (as suggested by the Sky Agent), then I will just exercise my right to cancel the contract.

How many days do we get to change our mind when signing a new [renewing an existing] contract? Does it still entail 31 days' notice period?
  • ArklightArklight Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    majeedk said:

You can only try and haggle with them and be prepared to walk away if they don't offer you a deal you want. I am not clear if the prices you are quoting include Broadband or not. If not, then run a mile as that is a terrible offer. 

I got a couple of pounds off the super deal price, they wouldn't budge on the HD cost though, which I had to add on.

They don't care how long you have been a customer.