Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes )

in Phones & TV
4.4K replies 824.2K views

Replies

• diego_94diego_94 Forumite
    108 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Out of contract next month, cost was rising to £85 from £54. 

Current package

Entertainment 
    Sky HD
    Box Sets
    Extra Box
    Super fast Broadband

£54 a month

Was offered a New package below, seems a little too high compared to what some people have been offered. So cancelled. Will await retentions call.

Sky signature
    Sky HD
    Extra Box
    Super Fast Broadband

£61 a month

Have cancelled, will await the call from retentions if it ever comes.
  • BrowntoaBrowntoa Forumite, Board Guide
    48.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stuck in my 30 day cancellation as it went up to £60 a month ( was never going to sign up again ) but never got anything , no retention call , nothing in my offers .

I'm leaving on Monday .

Coincidentally , I did get an offer on my nowtv account , 4 months entertainment and cinema for £29 in total . 
    Links in my signature currently broken
    I'm the Board Guide of the ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to [email protected] Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.[
  • edited 4 May at 3:27PM
    joe22_11joe22_11 Forumite
    8 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 4 May at 3:27PM
    Thought I'd post my experience today as I've found this thread extremely useful every 18 months :)

I've been a Sky customer for 5+ years, have Sky+HD and have just under 30 days left of my previous 18 month offer which is (pre-April price rise):
    TV £32.00
    Sky Entertainment £17.00
    Sky Sports - Complete Pack £13.00
    Sky Sports HD £2.00

Post price rise it's £36 per month...
    It's about to increase to £63 per month when the offer expires.
    I phoned up (0333 202 2135) to cancel and was offered £37 per month very easily, said I'd think about it.
    I went on chat and pushed a little harder, they asked what my maximum budget would be as I said I've set myself a £30 budget.

The best and final offer on chat was £34 per month:
    Sky Signature pack £16
    Sky Sports HD pack £18
    There would be a £10 admin fee
    And they also offered a £16 credit and the first month of Sky Signature for free £16
    This brings the total cost down to £32.56 per month

I do think this is a very good offer all things considered. However, I've declined and will chance my arm with retention offers over the next 30 days and beyond as it sounds like the best offers come in the couple of weeks after termination.

And I've now just checked: sky.com/mydeal
    And I'm being offered:
    Sky Signature pack £16
    Sky Sports HD pack £14
    It doesn't look like there's any admin fees or credits, so would be £30 per month

For anyone else interested I can also add the following:
    Sky Kids: £2.50
    Sky Cinema: £6
    HD add-on: £4
  • CyberGorillaCyberGorilla Forumite
    2 Posts
    Name Dropper First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    No idea if any good but with Netflix and Disney included great value for me, hopefully helps someone else haggle..
  • LouiseAHLouiseAH Forumite
    34 Posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary
    My Sky contract is coming to an end soon. I will phone them to discuss a new deal. No longer need SKY TV as netflicks is good enough. I am looking at subscribing to Broadband Super Fast with Booster service and free calls at evenings & weekends. Total cost is £38.00 a month for this service. I have been with sky for 4 years now. What a good deal for this package.
  • benonline1988benonline1988 Forumite
    3 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    This forum has been very useful for me over the years so thought I'd do my bit now and post my offer from Sky once I cancelled a few days ago.

We were out of contract and had been for 5 months, paying £54 for Sky Q with: Base package, Box Sets, Cinema, Sports, HD.
    Cancelled and the same day in my mysky online account was offered the same TV channels as above, all on 18 month contracts, now packaged as:

Sky Signature - £16
    Cinema - £5
    Sports (in HD) - £12
    HD - £3
    TOTAL £36
    Also offered:
    Netflix - £6
    Kids - £2

This seems a very good deal to me. I also would like BT Sport - does anyone know if there's a discount on it running through Sky because it doesn't show on the mysky account as an option to add?

I actually have BT Fibre and get BT Sport HD through Sky Q for £26.50 (plus £29.99 for the Fibre) that but the contract ends soon so I'm just looking at the most cost effective way to have all the Sport channels via Sky Q.

All in though, with the above deal I could get the Sky I want for £36 and if I renew with BT on a new deal, BT calls, Fibre 1 and BT Sport on Sky Q for about £86 a month total. If I can get it for less let me know! All that for that price seems really good to me. I hope this helps anyone wondering what deals Sky are offering right now after cancellation - or - if what they have been offered a deal, whether it's a good one.
  • brewerdavebrewerdave Forumite
    7.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    This forum has been very useful for me over the years so thought I'd do my bit now and post my offer from Sky once I cancelled a few days ago.

We were out of contract and had been for 5 months, paying £54 for Sky Q with: Base package, Box Sets, Cinema, Sports, HD.
    Cancelled and the same day in my mysky online account was offered the same TV channels as above, all on 18 month contracts, now packaged as:

Sky Signature - £16
    Cinema - £5
    Sports (in HD) - £12
    HD - £3
    TOTAL £36
    Also offered:
    Netflix - £6
    Kids - £2

£54 pm for all that ? You must have still been getting a healthy discount as the full price would be more like £85+pm !!
  • benonline1988benonline1988 Forumite
    3 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie

Sky Signature - £16
    Cinema - £5
    Sports (in HD) - £12
    HD - £3
    TOTAL £36
    Also offered:
    Netflix - £6
    Kids - £2

£54 pm for all that ? You must have still been getting a healthy discount as the full price would be more like £85+pm !!
    Yeah, it was still well discounted but out of the fixed contract so it had been creeping up from my last retention deal about 2 years ago, which was £42 IIRC...
  • brewerdavebrewerdave Forumite
    7.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭

Sky Signature - £16
    Cinema - £5
    Sports (in HD) - £12
    HD - £3
    TOTAL £36
    Also offered:
    Netflix - £6
    Kids - £2

Yeah, it was still well discounted but out of the fixed contract so it had been creeping up from my last retention deal about 2 years ago, which was £42 IIRC...
    Don't understand this - if you were "out of contract" ie on the standard mthly terms, how did you still have a discount? I currently have less than you (no Cinema) but mine is £39pm going up to ~ £65 in the last month of the deal ,then £75+ pm !!
  • AnonAnon Forumite
    14.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sky Signature - £16
    Cinema - £5
    Sports (in HD) - £12
    HD - £3
    TOTAL £36
    Also offered:
    Netflix - £6
    Kids - £2

Don't understand this - if you were "out of contract" ie on the standard mthly terms, how did you still have a discount? I currently have less than you (no Cinema) but mine is £39pm going up to ~ £65 in the last month of the deal ,then £75+ pm !!
    I have had discounts in the past while being outside the minimum term, so assume others have too.