Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes )

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
4.3K replies 812.4K views

Replies

• brewerdavebrewerdave Forumite
    7.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anon said:
    This forum has been very useful for me over the years so thought I'd do my bit now and post my offer from Sky once I cancelled a few days ago.

We were out of contract and had been for 5 months, paying £54 for Sky Q with: Base package, Box Sets, Cinema, Sports, HD.
    Cancelled and the same day in my mysky online account was offered the same TV channels as above, all on 18 month contracts, now packaged as:

Sky Signature - £16
    Cinema - £5
    Sports (in HD) - £12
    HD - £3
    TOTAL £36
    Also offered:
    Netflix - £6
    Kids - £2

£54 pm for all that ? You must have still been getting a healthy discount as the full price would be more like £85+pm !!
    Yeah, it was still well discounted but out of the fixed contract so it had been creeping up from my last retention deal about 2 years ago, which was £42 IIRC...
    Don't understand this - if you were "out of contract" ie on the standard mthly terms, how did you still have a discount? I currently have less than you (no Cinema) but mine is £39pm going up to ~ £65 in the last month of the deal ,then £75+ pm !!
    I have had discounts in the past while being outside the minimum term, so assume others have too.
    Haven't heard of that before - a discounted deal with no long term tie in. I certainly haven't ever had a deal offered without.
  • AnonAnon Forumite
    14.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anon said:
    This forum has been very useful for me over the years so thought I'd do my bit now and post my offer from Sky once I cancelled a few days ago.

We were out of contract and had been for 5 months, paying £54 for Sky Q with: Base package, Box Sets, Cinema, Sports, HD.
    Cancelled and the same day in my mysky online account was offered the same TV channels as above, all on 18 month contracts, now packaged as:

Sky Signature - £16
    Cinema - £5
    Sports (in HD) - £12
    HD - £3
    TOTAL £36
    Also offered:
    Netflix - £6
    Kids - £2

£54 pm for all that ? You must have still been getting a healthy discount as the full price would be more like £85+pm !!
    Yeah, it was still well discounted but out of the fixed contract so it had been creeping up from my last retention deal about 2 years ago, which was £42 IIRC...
    Don't understand this - if you were "out of contract" ie on the standard mthly terms, how did you still have a discount? I currently have less than you (no Cinema) but mine is £39pm going up to ~ £65 in the last month of the deal ,then £75+ pm !!
    I have had discounts in the past while being outside the minimum term, so assume others have too.
    Haven't heard of that before - a discounted deal with no long term tie in. I certainly haven't ever had a deal offered without.
    Just because you haven't been offered it doesn't mean others haven't - they are not always consistent and just because someone else is offered it does not mean it is possible on your account. 

Quite a few years ago they offered me a comeback deal of free for 6 months plus £100 account credit, with no minimum contract. It was a crazy deal as I ended leaving again after 9/10 months having pretty much paid nothing 😎. Deals like this were around but they are long gone now, and with Sky it seems from discussion on various forums the best deals now actually require you to disconnect.

It is worth reading up on forums to see what they have offered others, but no guarantees you can achieve it.
  • benonline1988benonline1988 Forumite
    3 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie

Sky Signature - £16
    Cinema - £5
    Sports (in HD) - £12
    HD - £3
    TOTAL £36
    Also offered:
    Netflix - £6
    Kids - £2

I don't know TBH. The discounts just stayed on there after the last contract period ended. The discounts were less than those I had when in contract, however. It was £42/ month at the end of the contract, then went to £49 the month after and in April 2021 to £54. I then cancelled a week ago and got the offer in mydeals and now am back down to £36 for 18 Months. 
  • brewerdavebrewerdave Forumite
    7.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anon said:
    Anon said:

Sky Signature - £16
    Cinema - £5
    Sports (in HD) - £12
    HD - £3
    TOTAL £36
    Also offered:
    Netflix - £6
    Kids - £2

Just because you haven't been offered it doesn't mean others haven't - they are not always consistent and just because someone else is offered it does not mean it is possible on your account. 

Deals like this were around but they are long gone now, and with Sky it seems from discussion on various forums the best deals now actually require you to disconnect.

It is worth reading up on forums to see what they have offered others, but no guarantees you can achieve it.
    I've been getting various deals for a number of years now -always either putting in notice to cancel or actually being disconnected for a while - up to the equivalent of 65% off ,and I've heard of various even better deals of 75% plus cash credits , but the only examples I've read about of "discounts" after time limited deals have finished ,have appeared to be errors on the part of Sky where individual items ( eg Sports) have stayed at the discounted price.
    Sky's approach to customer retentions is maddening - some customers appear to get offers with minimum effort but others ......
  • jem16jem16 Forumite
    19.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anon said:
    Anon said:

Sky Signature - £16
    Cinema - £5
    Sports (in HD) - £12
    HD - £3
    TOTAL £36
    Also offered:
    Netflix - £6
    Kids - £2

Deals like this were around but they are long gone now, and with Sky it seems from discussion on various forums the best deals now actually require you to disconnect.

I've been getting various deals for a number of years now -always either putting in notice to cancel or actually being disconnected for a while - up to the equivalent of 65% off ,and I've heard of various even better deals of 75% plus cash credits , but the only examples I've read about of "discounts" after time limited deals have finished ,have appeared to be errors on the part of Sky where individual items ( eg Sports) have stayed at the discounted price.
    Sky's approach to customer retentions is maddening - some customers appear to get offers with minimum effort but others ......
    Up until 2 or 3 years ago, I usually managed to get further discounts when one ended with no further tie-in. Then they started doing the £5 discount on the main TV package if in contract. Now it's almost impossible to get a discount without having to recontract.

However in saying that, when my Dad's deal ended last Summer he got an email offering him a further 12 months of discounts with no tie in to a new contract so it does happen occasionally. I did negotiate a new contract though as he wanted to add Cinema on and it was cheaper and more sensible to recontract for 18 months otherwise his other discounts would end and Cinema still on contract for another 6 months.
  • DonnySaverDonnySaver Forumite
    544 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    Was due to be disconnected in 2 days time. Had an "offer" through the post that was the same as I got given at cancellation. Went on live chat to tell them to stop wasting my time with "offers" that weren't. 

Long story short - got them down to £32/month for Signature and Full Sports all in HD. They insisted on the £10 admin fee but convinced them  to give me £10 credit to cover it. Happy with that - cheapest I've had for a while.
  • theonenonlytheonenonly Forumite
    43 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Used to pay £39 quid, and now for the same package being asked to pay £45 now that I've cancelled.

They don't do offers like they used to anymore
  • edited 12 May at 9:20PM
    JamesNJamesN Forumite
    740 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    edited 12 May at 9:20PM
    I left sky just under a year ago but when I go to the mydeal page I get a page that says they’re only dealing with vulnerable customers. I’ve moved house since so might be harder to get reactivated as we don’t have a dish here. Any idea if I should call them and see what they offer or should I just assume I’ve left it too long?
  • mits999mits999 Forumite
    82 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    JamesN said:
    I left sky just under a year ago but when I go to the mydeal page I get a page that says they’re only dealing with vulnerable customers. I’ve moved house since so might be harder to get reactivated as we don’t have a dish here. Any idea if I should call them and see what they offer or should I just assume I’ve left it too long?
    Mydeals page only comes up when your within 31 day notice period, your best best is to contact Winback team if your within 12 months of leaving
  • JamesNJamesN Forumite
    740 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    mits999 said:
    JamesN said:
    Mydeals page only comes up when your within 31 day notice period, your best best is to contact Winback team if your within 12 months of leaving
    Thanks, I’ll look to see it that’s possible still.