Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes )

Options

Comments

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Without a doubt you'll do better than that, of course a 50% discount over 10 months on a 12 month contract isn't a 50% discount. I really hate that they do that.
    It's not even 42% on the year's cost.
  • rugbyleaguesmate
    Options
    This just indicates that you could have got more if you were willing to haggle.

The best deals are offered to those who actually cancel, by the way, threatening to cancel will get you nowhere unless you are prepared to follow though.

Well done on the savings you made...

Thank you started at 33% then got it to 40 but didn't want to go through rigmarole of threatening to cancel it's just not me....that said was surprised I got 40% by my own admission I am a white flagger!
    6.72kw Pv Ja Solar 280w * 24 panels, Solar Edge inverter, South facing no shading.
    South Lake District, delightful view of Morecambe Bay. Not Saving up for a battery too expensive:j:mad::hello:

July Solar target 769kw
  • BigYin11
    Options
    Went on live chat last night and was offered 60% off for 12 months with no contract and £50 credit, bringing it to £23.40 a month for variety package, cinema and sport. Was pushing for 75% off but the chap was admanant it wasn't available. Declined what he offered me as we were only a day into our cancellation so just gonna sit tight for now.

Appreciate what he offered is in fact a pretty good deal so will push for them to honour that in a few weeks when our notice period is almost up, if no better deals have materialised
  • Aye_Up
    Aye_Up Posts: 65 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Was offered 75% discount with £100 bill credit, effectively makes my package free for 10 months with no contract..........I think it came down to the fact I told them I wasn't really bothered about the service s it wasn't used which made them come back with such an offer. They tried me in October for 50% and a bill credit.....naturally I declined.
  • Keith99
    Keith99 Posts: 761 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    BigYin11 wrote: »
    Went on live chat last night and was offered 60% off for 12 months with no contract and £50 credit, bringing it to £23.40 a month for variety package, cinema and sport. Was pushing for 75% off but the chap was admanant it wasn't available. Declined what he offered me as we were only a day into our cancellation so just gonna sit tight for now.

Appreciate what he offered is in fact a pretty good deal so will push for them to honour that in a few weeks when our notice period is almost up, if no better deals have materialised

I just spoke to them and they only offer the 75% to people who have actually gone through with cancelling it and have no service - so she couldnt offer me it...
  • DashDotCom
    Options
    Good morning!

Looking for some advice today.

After reading through this thread I called sky full of determination that I would come out either with a cheaper deal or a cancelled contract.

I tried to cancel as the only offer I was given was a NEW one year contact with the most basic free view channels included.

When asking to cancel to contract I was advised that I could not cancel at this time. If I put in cancellation now, the contract would end mid May but I would of course need to continue making payments until then.

Is this correct? Am I stuck with a 32£ (Again, I'm already on the basic package) bill a month for the next 5 months?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    DashDotCom wrote: »
    Good morning!

Looking for some advice today.

After reading through this thread I called sky full of determination that I would come out either with a cheaper deal or a cancelled contract.

I tried to cancel as the only offer I was given was a NEW one year contact with the most basic free view channels included.

When asking to cancel to contract I was advised that I could not cancel at this time. If I put in cancellation now, the contract would end mid May but I would of course need to continue making payments until then.

Is this correct? Am I stuck with a 32£ (Again, I'm already on the basic package) bill a month for the next 5 months?
    If you've agreed a contract that doesn't run out until mid May then yes, can't see what the confusion is there. You can't really expect them to give you a new deal half way through?

If you were thinking of upgrading some part of it they may discuss a discount on the various bits but that would start a new 12 month contract.

I asked to be cancelled down 6 weeks before my entire package ran out of discount (the start dates varied on the components).
  • DashDotCom
    Options
    Ah ok.

That makes more sense. These 'success stories' are all after the first year of contract withSKY. AFter this time the doors open for haggling.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    DashDotCom wrote: »
    Ah ok.

That makes more sense. These 'success stories' are all after the first year of contract withSKY. AFter this time the doors open for haggling.

You'd have to within 2 months of the end of your contract for pretty much any company to consider a better offer. Generally speaking of course once you've agreed a deal you're both happy with than it normally ties you in to a new contract, then the dance starts again in 10/12 months time. You do have to remember when your contracts are running out since the companies aren't going to tell you when they have (and aren't obliged to), this applies to everything including car insurance for instance, don't just let it auto renew, compare and contrast online.
  • stuartwatford
    Options
    My current package: £71 a month for box sets TV package, anytime talk and basic broadband. After speaking to someone in the retentions team today I have been offered £54 for box sets, upgrade to fibre but drop down to evening and weekend calls or 64 adding in movies on top.

They said this was the best deal that could be offered but for me its just not enough, does this sound too much for what I am being offered? From scanning the posts above it looks this way.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback