Forum Home» Phones & TV

Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes ) - Page 106

New Post Advanced Search

Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes )

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
3.7K replies 698.2K views

Replies

• [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I have a question about end of contract haggling if I may -

The last time I cancelled with SKY (TV only), they wouldn't offer a better deal, so I switched to another provider (BT). If I remember correctly, BT handled the switchover and once it was obvious I was leaving SKY they contacted me to offer a deal - lo and behold!!

Is it possible to cancel the switchover to a new provider in these circumstances? If not, why do SKY bother waiting for you to actually leave them before offering an incentive?

What 'switchover' are you thinking of cancelling? You're just going to get your TV through an aerial rather than a dish.

Edit: and what exactly are BT 'handling'?
  • edited 17 October 2017 at 11:24AM
    bertiewhitebertiewhite Forumite
    1.9K posts
    1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 17 October 2017 at 11:24AM
    What 'switchover' are you thinking of cancelling? You're just going to get your TV through an aerial rather than a dish.

Edit: and what exactly are BT 'handling'?

I'm thinking about cancelling the lot - TV, Broadband & Landline. I don't really watch SKY TV and even the BB/landline package is more expensive than BT.

What I mean by handling the switchover is - I don't need to cancel with one and then order with the other. Just switching provider cancels the other ensuring continuity.
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I'm thinking about cancelling the lot - TV, Broadband & Landline. I don't really watch SKY TV and even the BB/landline package is more expensive than BT.

What I mean by handling the switchover is - I don't need to cancel with one and then order with the other. Just switching provider cancels the other ensuring continuity.

Ah, so BB/LR is included. You can order from another supplier and then cancel before the end of the cooling of period (which may vary from one supplier to another). Make sure that it's the same cooling off period for both parts of the package.
  • alargealarge Forumite
    21 posts
    I've come across this post and had a quick read through some of the latest pages to try and answer my questions but still not sure.

Currently I am out of contract with Sky we have full Sky+ Variety package with HD which includes Cinema and Sports etc + 4 extra multi room boxes. The bill was something like £125+ per month but as I live at home with mum and dad and 3 other siblings we added the bill up and split it so was paying £25 in effect.

I have just bought a new house and moving in shortly so rang sky up to say I want Sky Q 2 TB and one multi room on the same package i.e. full HD, Boxsets, Cinema and Sports. Plus I'd also like to have fibre max broadband. The best deal they could do £115 upfront for both boxes, £75 pm for package. This is with £7 off core TV, sky sports at £20 from £27.50, sky sports HD at £2 from £6 for 18 months on an 18 month term. That is before adding broadband, I said I wasn't prepared to pay that and wanted to cancel. So now my current package is due to expire on 30th October.

Am I to expect a better off from them? I have read through and seen around 50% off or £40 pm is the best. I assume thats before a multiroom subscription and will have broadband on top. I have seen the link to stay 50% but if I want to go to Sky Q can I still use that link?
  • bertiewhitebertiewhite Forumite
    1.9K posts
    1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Well I've just phoned up to see what they would offer -

I was originally on a TV/BB/LL package with anytime calls for £43 which has risen to £78.

The best they could offer was £64 so it's ta ta to SKY again for me.
  • Cardinal-RedCardinal-Red Forumite
    662 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I am in my notice period, and also moving house.

Today I got the following offer on live chat:

- 25% discount
    - Box sets bundle
    - Free Sky Q 2TB
    - Free Sky Q minbox
    - Multiroom
    - Free installation and setup
    - £25 account credit

£40.50 for 12 months - didn't confirm the contract length actually, whether 12 or 18.

My VIP status qualifies me for Sky Go Extra which is handy.

This is still too high though, based on comments on here?

And this guy on HUKD who seems to be getting some broadband action thrown in too which the guy told me was a different team altogether.
    The above facts belong to everybody; the opinions belong to me; the distinction is yours to draw...
  • I really have no idea how anyone can get through to sky on live chat, I have tried for days on end for hours at a time until it finally closes and becomes unavailable.
  • Cardinal-RedCardinal-Red Forumite
    662 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I don't know whether because I went through the sky.com/reviewmyoptions link I got priority as a potential deserter!

I got placed in a queue and told I'd wait about 20 minutes... regular updates and then just got through.
    The above facts belong to everybody; the opinions belong to me; the distinction is yours to draw...
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I am in my notice period, and also moving house.

Today I got the following offer on live chat:

- 25% discount
    - Box sets bundle
    - Free Sky Q 2TB
    - Free Sky Q minbox
    - Multiroom
    - Free installation and setup
    - £25 account credit

£40.50 for 12 months - didn't confirm the contract length actually, whether 12 or 18.

My VIP status qualifies me for Sky Go Extra which is handy.

This is still too high though, based on comments on here?

And this guy on HUKD who seems to be getting some broadband action thrown in too which the guy told me was a different team altogether.

If you're not paying for either box I'd say that's not too bad a deal really (as long as it's for the full term). I wouldn't worry too much about matching someone else's deal as you'll always find someone who's done better. It's what suits you that's important.
  • Thanks cardinal, I will try that.

I have just cancelled with Sky and given my notice. Cheapet they could do this time was £66.99.