🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Options

Comments

• nick1234
    nick1234 Posts: 283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What is the bb checker? How will it know what my particular building has?
  • tg99
    tg99 Posts: 1,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    nick1234 wrote: »
    Full house (inc sky sports non-hd and bt sports), phone and internet currently £79pm rising by £25 to £105!!!??

I live in a building with fibre optic and not allowed sky dish, what options do i have? £105 pm is just extortionate

Even though we have fibre optic cables can i still get another broadband provider and Now tv etc?

I dont use house phone at all, just net and tv (sports).

Why don’t you phone up and cancel and then wait for call from outbound Retentions? I’m on same package at £57pm (that’s with 100mb broadband and basic phone) and I think someone else on here recently got similar price having cancelled and waited for the call back.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What is the bb checker? How will it know what my particular building has?

https://broadband.moneysavingexpert.com/
  • nick1234
    nick1234 Posts: 283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    tg99 wrote: »
    Why don’t you phone up and cancel and then wait for call from outbound Retentions? I’m on same package at £57pm (that’s with 100mb broadband and basic phone) and I think someone else on here recently got similar price having cancelled and waited for the call back.

Will they always call back?

That broadband site shows sky/now tv and even bt which cant be right as theres no bt line..
  • tg99
    tg99 Posts: 1,202 Forumite
    Options

That broadband site shows sky/now tv and even bt which cant be right as theres no bt line..

They’ve called me back every year. Seems like most get a call back (though that’s just from what I’ve seen on this thread) but some cases where people say they haven’t been called.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

No BB comparison site will know whether you've actually got a line connected or not, only if BB is available at that address.
  • metalgearal
    Options
    Has anyone not received a call, and then phoned back after bottling it and asking for the last offer they were given?
  • ry91
    ry91 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I am currently trying to get a better deal from Virgin for our current package (100MB, 'Fun' TV and Talk Anytime Phone).

Parents are currently paying £79pm for this which seems ridiculously high compared to what some people are getting on here. The guy on the end of the phone was adamant he couldn't go below £62pm for this package. Feel like this is still very high (even with the bare bones basic TV package he could only offer £59pm).

I said we were going to go ahead and proceed with the cancellation and sign up with Sky and he was reluctant to let me give my notice of cancellation and saying I needed to call Sky first to be able to keep my current number.

Where do I go from here?

Thanks
  • PZ19
    PZ19 Posts: 473 Forumite
    Options
    ry91 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I am currently trying to get a better deal from Virgin for our current package (100MB, 'Fun' TV and Talk Anytime Phone).

Parents are currently paying £79pm for this which seems ridiculously high compared to what some people are getting on here. The guy on the end of the phone was adamant he couldn't go below £62pm for this package. Feel like this is still very high (even with the bare bones basic TV package he could only offer £59pm).

I said we were going to go ahead and proceed with the cancellation and sign up with Sky and he was reluctant to let me give my notice of cancellation and saying I needed to call Sky first to be able to keep my current number.

Where do I go from here?

Thanks

We cancelled 2 weeks ago and had no call. They going to lose out on £840 year but to be honest don’t mind cancelling, if they do deal great, if they don’t not that fussed. I hasten to add I think we had opted out of marketing calls so that’s probably one reason why. They don’t ring everyone back and they definitely don’t have to. If you are taking your phone number with you and you don’t Port it to new provider, then you may not get call, as they think you calling their bluff which in lot of cases people are.
  • neil324
    neil324 Posts: 460 Forumite
    Options
    ry91 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Where do I go from here?

Thanks

You can cancel and sign up as a new customer in another name at the same address if retention's do not play ball.

I have just done this. The cancel has been set up for a day and the new contract set up for the next day. So no loss of service.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure