Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Options

Comments

• duggan1
    duggan1 Posts: 505 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What is the best time to call VM to speak to a UK based retentions CSA?
    TIA

I had most joy on a sunday morning.
  • onejontwo
    onejontwo Posts: 1,089 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Has anybody noticed that if you change anything on your package (as I did ie. negotiated to cancel the price increase) then a new 12 month contract starts from the date of the change? This could go against you as the loyalty discounts expire before the end of the new contract and could cost an early disconnection fee if you choose to leave.
  • tg99
    tg99 Posts: 1,201 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    onejontwo wrote: »
    Has anybody noticed that if you change anything on your package (as I did ie. negotiated to cancel the price increase) then a new 12 month contract starts from the date of the change? This could go against you as the loyalty discounts expire before the end of the new contract and could cost an early disconnection fee if you choose to leave.

I called up to add a channel in July but I only wanted it for one month. I confirmed at the time it would have no impact on my contract, discounts etc but when I got the email notification through it had service date of change as July and 12 months remaining on contract even though contract expires in a few months. Hence called up again and they stated that no my contract does still end in a few months and not 12 months from July (despite what the service change email implied).
  • tg99
    tg99 Posts: 1,201 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Has anyone not had their price notification increase letters / emails from Virgin yet?
  • revengeissweet
    Options
    I have been with Virgin Media for telephone and broadband for the past 6 years and seen the costs increase from £22 per month to £44 per month. I have haggled and got short term reductions over this period. I tried again this year was told by their adviser it was my fault that I was not using all the speed they provided and that they could not reduce the cost. I applied to another provider for a similar service (Post Office/Talk Talk) who offered £24 per month. Once Virgin Media recognised that I was changing they offered me the same service for £16 per month for one year. Your may need to haggle with your feet before you get a result.
  • onejontwo
    onejontwo Posts: 1,089 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Is it legal to start a new contract mid-term through the old one when only a minor change has been applied to your package?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Is it legal to start a new contract mid-term through the old one when only a minor change has been applied to your package?

Of course it's legal if that's what you agreed to.
  • billn
    billn Posts: 318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    tg99 wrote: »
    Has anyone not had their price notification increase letters / emails from Virgin yet?

Yes got my email about a week ago, I was keen to see if I got notification this time because I didn't last time and they had to keep charging me the old rate (after a bit of an argument with them).
    If at first you don't succeed, sky diving is not for you!
  • Ash_Pole
    Ash_Pole Posts: 310 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've been paying way to much for years came on here to see if I could learn something.

Seems that the best tactic now is to call them to cancel and insist on the cancellation. Then contact a new provider and start getting that set up and hope that Virgin call?

A question though - why would the new provider contact Virgin, is it to do with the transfer over of the phone number?
  • brynhh
    brynhh Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Can't imagine it'll be of any help given deals seem to be individual, but just in case.

Been on broadband only since late 2013 and every time there's a price increase, that's when I call to see what they can offer.

I was paying 38 for 350Mbit and a couple of weeks ago they couldn't offer any discount to the 3.50 increase, but gave a 30 quid credit with no impact on my contract, allowing me to call again after the 12th (as advised by them). This was on the second cancellation team (the first wouldn't offer anything and they put me through to customer loyalty or whatever they called it).

Called back today (16th) and they offered 39 to stay on 350 or 32 to drop to 200, so I took the 32/200. This is a 12 month contract but price lasts for 18 months. This was the first cancellation team after the usual options, not the second one like before.

So overall, can't grumble with that.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure