🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Options

Comments

• rallycurve
    rallycurve Posts: 171 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    daveandgem wrote: »
    Signed a new contract £26.50 for 12 months for 50mb fibre only.

Retentions never called. I don’t wanna go elsewhere as probably needs new ugly wires on my house. Will go elsewhere when 5G broadband prices come down.
    What did you do then? Called them again before your disconnection date and asked for another deal?
  • Dave360180
    Dave360180 Posts: 134 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes that’s right
  • Pluto88888
    Pluto88888 Posts: 65 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 9 August 2019 at 7:55AM
    Options
    Done a bit of haggling last night on the phone with virgin media brother's account the best I got £17 for 50MEG line with £20 credit on account
    £21 for 100Meg line with £20 credit on account
    both 12 months contract.

I did try to push them for £15 50meg he was having non of it. lol

Brother took the 50meg package at the end.
  • lhoney
    lhoney Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    VM 100mb BB only
    No BT line connected to our property and renting so would be a hassle to get a line drilled through (although obviously didn't tell virgin that!)

Was paying 42 - going up to 44.50

New haggle price £33.50

Im happy with saving £10 a month.

This is similar to mine, except I was on 150mb. Currently paying £42 p/m and told it was going up to £45.50 p/m from September. I phoned to cancel 22 days ago and never hear anything, but I phoned last week pretending to just be checking the cancellation date and they were being quite rude with me... not offering me a new deal, just trying to say how bad every other company's speed would be. I wasn't falling for it, so I told them I still wanted to cancel.

Then I got a missed call from them last night :rotfl: Will phone them back later this afternoon to see what they want.
  • lhoney
    lhoney Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    Agreed to £27 for 100mb. £18.50 a month cheaper than it was going to be from September :)
  • Bossworld
    Bossworld Posts: 423 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Was paying £40 a month for full house, 200mbit, weekend phone calls.

Year before was £36 without the phone line as a new customer.

Best I've been offered by VM (was me calling back after a week of not hearing from them after putting in the cancellation) was 100mbit, maxit tv, weekend phone. £58 a month, £30 credit on account.

I've signed up with BT for £49.99 a month as I want to keep BT Sport, works out about £40 if the quidco and 'free gift' comes through. Not holding my breath on Virgin calling me back. Would happily stick with them for £50 a month even if it means going down to 100mbit, but I want BT Sport.
  • tg99
    tg99 Posts: 1,201 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Bossworld wrote: »
    Was paying £40 a month for full house, 200mbit, weekend phone calls.

Year before was £36 without the phone line as a new customer.

Best I've been offered by VM (was me calling back after a week of not hearing from them after putting in the cancellation) was 100mbit, maxit tv, weekend phone. £58 a month, £30 credit on account.

I've signed up with BT for £49.99 a month as I want to keep BT Sport, works out about £40 if the quidco and 'free gift' comes through. Not holding my breath on Virgin calling me back. Would happily stick with them for £50 a month even if it means going down to 100mbit, but I want BT Sport.

Signing up to BT might well prompt a call from Virgin and hopefully a better offer. I think someone else on here a few weeks back had call from outbound team after cancelling and got a price in the £50s for similar to your package but with sky sports too so without the latter then you should be able to get a fair bit cheaper. (I’m paying c£57 for 100mb, weekend calls, full house inc BT Sport, Sky Sports but have not had price increase notice yet.)
  • tazdev
    tazdev Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Reading this thread since my post a couple of weeks ago, it certainly seems that in order to get the best offers from VM you have to actually cancel with them, simply threatening to leave and waiting a few weeks might get a slightly better deal, but presumably they know what your're doing from their screen info. My best offer was prompted by VM being contacted by Plusnet to take over the landline number as I wanted to keep it. So I've gone from 50/3Mb to 40/7Mb to save money. As a single user I can't tell the difference in speed tbh. Just hope its as reliable.
    Unless you want sport channels I don't see much point in Sky/Virgin tv subscriptions anymore. Each to their own I guess.
  • JennyJukes
    JennyJukes Posts: 361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I won, I won, I won!
    Options
    Indeed.
    Gave my 30 days notice on Saturday with full intention of moving elsewhere. Call today asking why, where I was going etc. Offered me £19 for just VIVD50 broadband, I don't use landline anyway. Was paying £27 and it was going to go up to £42, the usual. So I'm saving money and don't need any upfront costs or engineer visits so I'm happy.
    Single woman doing it on my own... First house bought June 2021!
    Mortgage end date: 2041. Goal: Anything less!
    Mortgage currently paid off: 4%
  • the.weekender
    Options
    What is the best time to call VM to speak to a UK based retentions CSA?
    TIA
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport