Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Options

Comments

• bufferz
    bufferz Posts: 74 Forumite
    Options
    Renewed yesterday, was on £59/m, renegotiated the same package, 200meg BB, maxit TV and phone, £53 a month. Not bad considering new customers get it with 100 meg BB for£47 a month.
  • lhoney
    lhoney Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    daveandgem wrote: »
    You got a call back quickly. Do retentions usually back in a week or so ? I’ve been waiting a couple of weeks now.

I phoned to cancel 11 days ago now and haven't had a call back.

I was paying £42 a month for M150 and the best offer they could do was £33. I told them no thanks and to cancel it. I got the email immediately, but I'm still waiting for a call back. I've read elsewhere they offered some people £22-25 for M150 so I might call before the 30 days are up and ask them if they can do the same for me, otherwise I'll see what they'll offer for M100.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You do realise they are not obliged to call you back when you cancel?

They're not obliged to call you, so you'll just end up stiffing yourself up
  • lhoney
    lhoney Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    I won't stiff anything, I've got two alternative companies in mind with better prices than what they offered (though I'll give Virgin another ring before the 30 days are up to see if they want to offer me a better deal).

I know they call most people back within 24-48 hours if they feel they can easily convince them to stay, otherwise they'll either call back a couple of weeks later or not at all if they decided you sounded quite determined to cancel. I know I sounded determined to cancel so I didn't expect a call back right away.
  • duggan1
    duggan1 Posts: 505 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bear in mind they are extremely busy at the minute. Took me a couple of weeks to get sorted, but on the Ultimate Oomph for £95/m now. Saving on mobile contract too so I`m best part of £50 a month saved.
  • JennyJukes
    JennyJukes Posts: 361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I won, I won, I won!
    Options
    Sept 18 - Sept 19 new customer discounted price to £27
    Moved address, took with me. FAQ said my contract would remain the same as my services weren't changing.
    Receive email with my new bill being very high.
    Realise they have "renewed" my contract from the date I moved for a year.
    Call to find out what's going on and was told contracts get renewed when you move but I wasn't advised of this. He said my discount applies until September as usual then afterwards I pay the £42 even though I didn't agree to this.
    Basically said I need to call them up when this is ending and see if I can get a better deal.
    I don't want a better deal - I didn't agree to it and don't see anything in my contract stating it would renew my contract. Old contract is signed and dated by myself, new one isn't.
    Aaaand now I understand why others disliked Virgin.
    Single woman doing it on my own... First house bought June 2021!
    Mortgage end date: 2041. Goal: Anything less!
    Mortgage currently paid off: 4%
  • duggan1
    duggan1 Posts: 505 Forumite
    Options
    JennyJukes wrote: »
    Sept 18 - Sept 19 new customer discounted price to £27
    Moved address, took with me. FAQ said my contract would remain the same as my services weren't changing.
    Receive email with my new bill being very high.
    Realise they have "renewed" my contract from the date I moved for a year.
    Call to find out what's going on and was told contracts get renewed when you move but I wasn't advised of this. He said my discount applies until September as usual then afterwards I pay the £42 even though I didn't agree to this.
    Basically said I need to call them up when this is ending and see if I can get a better deal.
    I don't want a better deal - I didn't agree to it and don't see anything in my contract stating it would renew my contract. Old contract is signed and dated by myself, new one isn't.
    Aaaand now I understand why others disliked Virgin.

Terms and conditions, section O:
    5. Where we have agreed with you to continue providing the same services that you received at your current address to your new address and this is during any minimum period, then that minimum period will continue at your new address (for example, where your services are on a 12 month minimum period, if you move during month 7 of your minimum period, the remaining 5 months of your minimum period will apply for those same services being provided at your new address). Where we have agreed with you to change the services you receive at your new address then a new minimum period may apply for those services and the service start date for that new minimum period will be the date that the equipment is installed at your new address.

Seems to back you up.
  • Kevmanfred
    Kevmanfred Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Rang virgin this morning as I'm out of contract and will be paying £55 a month with the price increase for 100 meg with basic player tariff.
    Told them I wanted to give my 30 days notice as my needs have changed and wanting to get the same basic player tariff with sky sports on too, was told the best they could do would be £72 a month.
    Didn't particularly want to leave but they wouldn't budge on that price, so I think I'll be better off moving provider now anyway, unless they ring me back up with a better off within the next couple of weeks, talk talk have an offer, with sky sports included, which over the 18 months would work out at £56 a month. They have my contact details, so I'll keep you posted on the outcome.
  • Kevmanfred
    Kevmanfred Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Received a call from outbound retentions today, have taken M 100 fibre, player TV, sky sports collection in HD at £52 per month inclusive of price rise, could have had it all at £45 per month without HD. I'm happy with that, saves having to move.
  • tg99
    tg99 Posts: 1,201 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Kevmanfred wrote: »
    Received a call from outbound retentions today, have taken M 100 fibre, player TV, sky sports collection in HD at £52 per month inclusive of price rise, could have had it all at £45 per month without HD. I'm happy with that, saves having to move.

Does that include BT Sport too?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure