Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Options

Comments

• darren72
    darren72 Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Garf wrote: »
    Hello,

I used the online chat today with Virgin Media to negotiate a deal.

How did you manage online chat ? - I thought they were for sales only ?

Thanks
  • Garf
    Garf Posts: 99 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    darren72 wrote: »
    How did you manage online chat ? - I thought they were for sales only ?

Thanks
    I went to view the "Upgrades" and on the left hand side of the Browser was an online Chat Button. Clicked that and selected "Upgrade my Package" as the Subject!
    "Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity"
  • ztkr
    ztkr Posts: 86 Forumite
    edited 12 February 2019 at 6:49PM
    Options
    Bollo2019 wrote: »
    This is exactly what I'm trying to get my head around at the moment. Moving into a new house, got a deal lined up with VM VIVID 100 Fibre broadband, £23 a month 1 year contract. Is there a cheaper or better way to get broadband through the tethering idea you're on about? Any advice much appreciated, thanks.

Just my tuppence worth as I've had to resort to tethering to a 4G phone during Virgin Media broadband outages recently - tethering works but you need to consider the following:
    - how much data you will use. Low cost 4G SIM deals will limit the number of GB of data, and higher limits may cost you as much as normal broadband.
    - tethering may not be as fast as normal broadband. The strength of your 4G reception is an important factor in what speed you will get.
    - using a dedicated phone, plugged in, or another device is probably best. Tethering will use up the battery quickly on a mobile phone running on battery power.

£23 per month for 100Mbps broadband doesn't sound like a bad deal to me.
  • childofbaahl
    Options
    VM called me back today and after a little chat I was offered £29.99 a month for Vivid 100 and Talk weekends on a 12 month contract. I mentioned the line rental saver and I was told that it was incompatible with this offer so nothing paid upfront but saving £13 per month on my current costs which equates to a 30% saving is fine with me.

Considering that new customers get that package at £27 I'm really pleased with £30.
  • Misself
    Options
    I've just given my 30 day notice period (again!!....like many others I go through this ordeal every year). I reduced my package mid contract last November to basic Virgin TV (as I don't watch much telly), VIVID 100 Optical fibre broadband and phone (which never gets used). At the time it was £18.50, however my contact ends this month and will go up to £41.

The cancellation team offered me £36 pm for same but I've given notice as ideally I'd really like to keep my costs down to £20-£25. Here's hoping they call. Last year I registered with Talk Talk which prompted 'the call', but I'll give it a week or so before doing that.

I just worry they will eventually decide to just 'let me go'!

Anyone got a similar package?
  • mustardtree6
    Options
    2 weeks after handing in my notice, I've got £30 pcm with first month free for Broadband 100, Player TV and Weekend Calls.
  • thor
    thor Posts: 5,484 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Misself wrote: »
    I've just given my 30 day notice period (again!!....like many others I go through this ordeal every year). I reduced my package mid contract last November to basic Virgin TV (as I don't watch much telly), VIVID 100 Optical fibre broadband and phone (which never gets used). At the time it was £18.50, however my contact ends this month and will go up to £41.

The cancellation team offered me £36 pm for same but I've given notice as ideally I'd really like to keep my costs down to £20-£25. Here's hoping they call. Last year I registered with Talk Talk which prompted 'the call', but I'll give it a week or so before doing that.

I used to get a good deal every year after giving my 30 day notice but the last two times I tried I never got a call back from retentions. I think they have let me go.
  • Lifes_Grand_Plan
    Options
    Misself wrote: »

Genuine question - why / how would registering with Talk Talk prompt a call from Virgin?
    A big believer in karma, you get what you give :A

If you find my posts useful, "pay it forward" and help someone else out, that's how places like MSE can be so successful.
  • hpmann
    hpmann Posts: 54 Forumite
    Options
    I cancelled yesterday and I’ve just had a call from them, was previously paying £23 a month for 50Mb with £50 credit.

New deal 100Mb for £28 with £20 credit - I know people get better but VM are my only option if I want good reliable speeds!
  • Liberal123
    Options
    So today is my last day of my service and no, no call back apart from the lazy attempt right at the beginning. It's not like previous years where they were desperate to keep you. I'm surprised considering I have broadband, phone line and a top tv package that they are willing to let me go considering I am paying over £70pm. Ah well, their loss!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback