Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    I have a Vm contract that until I made the mistake of watching a couple of netflix programmes on my laptop suddenly was messaged to say I only had 1.12 gb left from my 'capped' 30GB data per month As I have rarely, if ever, watched TV via my laptop I was to say the least very surprised and shocked as I had no idea that my data was 'capped' at all I phoned them yesterday as I have been off line almost for the past two weeks in case it expired altogether .They basically told me that to have unlimited Data I would have to pay an extra £25. per month on top of the £31 I pay at the moment So I told them I was not going to be threatened like this and I would wait until my contract was up for renewal and probably take my business elsewhere have been first with Blueyonder ,then when bought out by Virgin, with them But I can see the parting of the ways for me and VM after 17 years I shall be looking for another company I think loyalty obviously means nothing to them at all

Is this some sort of legacy package? Are you sure you're in a minimum term contract and not on a rolling monthly one?
  • powerful_Rogue
    powerful_Rogue Posts: 7,539 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    VM have been rubbish this year. Was paying £34 a month which went upto £37 with the yearly increase for 100MB broadband, Unlimited calls and basic TV package.

It's due to shoot up to £59 a month. The outbound team just called and could only offer this for £47.

Seems like this year I will have to follow through and go elsewhere.
  • miggiwoo
    miggiwoo Posts: 578 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    VM have been rubbish this year. Was paying £34 a month which went upto £37 with the yearly increase for 100MB broadband, Unlimited calls and basic TV package.

It's due to shoot up to £59 a month. The outbound team just called and could only offer this for £47.

Seems like this year I will have to follow through and go elsewhere.

I have finally followed up my threat and left them , after 20+ Years.
    I got a call a day after placing an order with BT but was at work and asked them to call me after 4pm . No call.
    Then rang me the next day , again I was at work and unable to speak to them , asked to call me later.
    Never did.
    Left my £81-50 a month for Super Fibre 70 that never really worked , just kept dropping the signal , TV and landline that I never used.
    Gone to BT , through Topcashback for £170 which will pay for my Wi-Fi plugs and extra cost of 2 bills in a Month , and will pay £49-99 for the next 18 Months.
    Broadband is better than Virgin's and the only difference I find is that the remote control is a bit more fiddly.
    Still not had any email from Virgin about leaving or if I owe any final bill etc but not surprised as Customer Service just isn't good at all.
    Early days but don't regret it at all.
    The truth shall set you free.....................
  • sue.gee1
    Options
    Well, I thought I would share my recent experience. A Virgin Customer of 22 years, I started having interrupted broadband last summer (several days at times), which went on and on, diagnosed by one of the more sensible people at Virgin as 'weak and intermittent' signal. Reported and reported, engineers came out multiple times, new router x2; changed bits of installation at house; updated at junction box in street; reported fault at exchange. Customer Services suggest wifi boosters, which they then wanted to charge me extra for, tell me the service is 'perfect'. Furious, I went to complaint, only to receive a 'deadlock' letter. Telephone call followed, explaining that as far as Virgin are concerned the service has been perfect throughout, and 'it's not been reported to us'. When I said 'But I've been reporting it', there was silence.' How dare they imply that I am lying! Even more furious, I have gone to CISAS and had my complaint upheld, Virgin instructed to apologise and pay compensation for breach of contract. Meanwhile I went to Now TV, then got a call from Virgin Retentions team who were very apologetic and nice, and reduced my package cost from £100.20 a month to £43.50 with one minor change which doesn't affect me and double the broadband speed, plus £50 compensation which makes the cost £39.50 for a year. Well, what can you say! I have stayed with Virgin because Retentions were so nice, the deal is very good for me, and it's less hassle than moving. But will they learn the lessons?
  • gb908010
    gb908010 Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    Customer of 12 years, Fh bundle paying £50, was going upto £74 so wanted to reduce. phoned them and the best they could offer me was £68 or if i downgraded my TV to basic it would be £56.

Told them to cancel and now leave on the 3rd of May. Was speaking with retention's and the lady spoke to her manager and he couldn't offer anything more.
    lets see if they ring me as they did last November and i didn't cancel then.

If they dont i think i will go Vodafone BB and Sky TV.
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Had to renegotiate with VM yesterday. We were on their 12 month welcome package for 100mb BB, phone and anytime calls for £35 a month. Was going up to £56 a month. Managed to get the Mix TV and 200mb speed thrown in with some free Sky cinema for same £56 price, so not a bad deal. Plus I can cancel my Now TV passes and save about £13 a month. Unfortunately, our phone line BB speed isn't good enough for what we need, otherwise I'd be looking elsewhere.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Had to renegotiate with VM yesterday. We were on their 12 month welcome package for 100mb BB, phone and anytime calls for £35 a month. Was going up to £56 a month. Managed to get the Mix TV and 200mb speed thrown in with some free Sky cinema for same £56 price, so not a bad deal. Plus I can cancel my Now TV passes and save about £13 a month. Unfortunately, our phone line BB speed isn't good enough for what we need, otherwise I'd be looking elsewhere.

Apart from including Cinema (which you can usually get for about £5 per month on eBay for the passes) that is still quite an expensive deal compared to what others have achieved. Recent reports were around £49 for full house (after cancellation and awaiting the call for example https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/virgin-media-retentions-deal-vivid-200mb-phone-and-full-house-tv-plus-movies-49-pm-3159768). I know we all have different price points though so long as you are happy.
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks anon, unfortunately we can't cancel the BB easily as it's through cable and needed for work purposes, and the phone line BB speed isn't fast enough for us - hence why we went with VM. I think the anytime calls pushes it up a bit, but our lass rings her daughter in Japan on a daily basis on a sipgate phone, local number. Tried to get her to Skype, or whatsapp so we can ditch that, but to no avail. Plus at least we are 'guaranteed' a minimum of over 100mb on the 200mb package, whereas now we get between 60 and 100mb ish.
  • CrocodileHamilton
    Options
    Hi looking for advice and opinions, I currently have a 12m contract ending in September.
    My setup is 1 V6 box with full tv package Entertainment, Cinema and Sports but do not have Sports in HD. I have 100mbps broadband and just talk wkends which tbh I don’t need and never want. I pay £88.75 which looking at some posts feels too much. I have been with virgin for 9 years and I know loyalty doesn’t count really these days. But in all honesty I have never had a major issue with service and I do a lot of online gaming.
    I’m mainly asking as I am struggling financially and realise it’s a luxury but with my mental health issues I try to keep it.
    Any haggling or deals know of - basically any information is so welcome thanks ��
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How can you haggle if you are in contract until Sept .
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback