Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Options

Comments

• buttonmoon
    Options
    Just cancelled with Virgin on Sunday. Someone just called and offered 100mb broadband at £24 a month. I almost laughed at them! We were paying £117 for top tv package, sky sports, phone and broadband and I am hoping to cut this in half like I did last time
  • Liberal123
    Options
    I cancelled my package (Full House Bundle, 100 broadband, Sky Sports in HD, phone line) with Virgin over a week ago and no they haven't given me a better deal. If anything they have quoted £15 more then what I'm paying now, it seems like the 'cancellation and call back' is a thing of the past as they offer rubbish deals.

I did call up Virgin a few days to negotiate a deal but they're not interested. Whatever happened to customer loyalty? Anybody had any luck or success in negotiating a deal recently? It's as if they've changed tact and no longer willing to keep existing customers.

I've read on here about people cancelling and then signing up their spouse as a new customer. When you re register, don't they ask you about being a customer not long ago? E.g. - the address was recently used but under a different name? Also, if I was to do that - would they take my old equipment away and provide me with new stuff, new router and TV box?
  • echo08
    echo08 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    I cancelled two weeks ago and haven't had a call back yet
  • unique.mo
    unique.mo Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 31 January 2019 at 11:54PM
    Options
    VM outbound retention used to provide great deals in the past however its clear they are not providing these deals now. They want to extract max amount from existing customers especially long standing ones as they are unlikely to move regardless of providing a notice to leave. On contrary Sky is offering super cheap retention deals to their existing customers.

As a new customer Sky is offering Fibre Max BB with 63 MB and anytime calls for £27 pm for 18 months plus initial cost of £9.95 fee and £20 for line setup. Topcashback is £105 until 11 am tomorrow, provided its paid out it is £22.83 pm.

They can provide you with a minimum guaranteed speed otherwise you could leave or potentially get a refund of some sort.

It wont be long until the speed starts increasing well above 63 MB as EE offers 150 MB over the same lines.
  • ztkr
    ztkr Posts: 86 Forumite
    Options
    For the past few years I was always offered a more competitive price if I phoned Virgin to cancel their services. Nothing this year, though - no callback at all. I've spoken to them a couple of times and the best "deal" they can offer is 53% more than I was paying last year (63% if you include the £2 price rise from a couple of months ago!). Needless to say, I've chosen to cancel and I'm now looking around for an alternative supplier.
  • PJD
    PJD Posts: 577 Forumite
    Options
    I cancelled and received a call back in about 4 days, - offered a much better deal of which I accepted
  • Samvey
    Options
    Just off the phone with retentions, just past the end of my existing contract and ended up with VIP bundle @ £99 for 12 months
  • childofbaahl
    Options
    Just cancelled my contract with virgin after being with them for around 12 years. Had 100mb Fibre and weekend calls paying £42.99 per month with a £5 loyalty discount reducing it from £47.99 a month. My current contract ended yesterday so I called up to see if there was anything they could do and the person I spoke to seemed very dismissive, acting like I should be grateful that I was with them for that price.

Previously I had pre-paid my line rental and gotten £14.99 a month for 4 months (£31.32), £17.99 a month for 4 months (£34.32), £21.99 a month for the remaining 4 months (£37.32) then up to £42.99 per month for the next 6 months out of contract.

He offered a price reduction to £24.99 per month if I paid for my line rental up front for 12 months which worked out at £41.32 if you included the reduced line rental cost of £16.33 per month. Wow... Less then 4% reduction in my current price...

There was no haggling, no discussion - It felt like a take it or leave it situation, he behaved like he was doing me a favour so I cancelled my account. Hopefully they'll call back with a better offer then the current £23.99 + line rental I'm paying now... New customers can get my plan for £8 + line rental so surely there must be some wiggle room here.

If I hear back I'll update here. Wish me luck!
  • Garf
    Garf Posts: 99 Forumite
    Options
    Hello,

I used the online chat today with Virgin Media to negotiate a deal.

Current Package:
    £31 (Then £34 (general price rise) and now £41 and in September up to £58!)
    Vivid 200
    Talk Weekends

New Package:
    £46
    Vivid 350
    Talk Weekends
    V6 TV Player (We have Sky Q already)

Quite happy with that package looking at what has been offered.

Spoke to Sky and their Line Speed for Sky Fibre could only guarantee 20-30Mbps.

Cheers,
    Garf
    "Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity"
  • Bollo2019
    Options
    I'm not a techie by any means, and no doubt someone can explain it better than me, but I'll have a go:

I will buy an extra mobile phone sim card (Virgin and Three both have unlimited data at the moment at far less per month than my virgin broadband).

I will then put this in a spare mobile phone to broadcast a wifi signal, which I will connect my laptop/ smart tv to (aka tethering). The sim card can also be used in a small device call a "mifi" to create a mini wifi network. I've also discovered that you can get a (4g) router to put the sim card in, which acts like a "normal" router.

One advantage of this as far as I can see (in addition to the lower cost) is that I will no longer get unsolicited calls about my "Windows" or "PPI claim" or "BT broadband"

The only major disadvantage is the loss of the TIVO box, which we like but can live without for a saving of £30 per month

This is exactly what I'm trying to get my head around at the moment. Moving into a new house, got a deal lined up with VM VIVID 100 Fibre broadband, £23 a month 1 year contract. Is there a cheaper or better way to get broadband through the tethering idea you're on about? Any advice much appreciated, thanks.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback