We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

The EU: IN or OUT?

Options

Comments

• Domayne
    Domayne Posts: 623 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Too right, he'll be moaning after the vote regardless of the result

You're wrong :)
    I didn't vote and I still don't care either way.
    If there is a second referendum like people are crying for, I still won't vote. I don't think this is as life changing as people are wanting to make out it is!
    Saved so far - £28,890.97
    ~Selfish is the name that the jealous give to the free~
    Save 12k in 2019 #18 £5,489.43/12000
  • ManofLeisure_2
    Options
    Domayne wrote: »
    . I don't think this is as life changing as people are wanting to make out it is!

Surely that's no reason for not having used your vote.
  • Domayne
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Surely that's no reason for not having used your vote.

My reason for not using my vote is apathy. I really don't care either way. There are pros and cons on both sides and whilst I'm on the middle fence, what would be the reason for voting? WHO do you vote for when you don't care?
  • rpc
    rpc Posts: 2,353 Forumite
    Options
    buglawton wrote: »
    If the EU needs to make an example of Britain to discourage other leavers, then you have to ask, is the EU in fact an economic prison containing reluctant remainers?

Seems to be Juncker's approach, but national leaders seem to be a bit more pragmatic.

Already one is calling for Juncker to resign over this.

If we do actually leave, it will be on such terms that mean there is little practical difference to if we stayed.
  • BananaRepublic
    BananaRepublic Posts: 2,103 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    blutto wrote: »
    No i think i was refering more to a comment that member JohnRo made about it being all old white homophobic Anti Europeans! His concerns were that all young people would migrate and all young people voted in and thats clearly CRAP! I am young and i voted OUT and i am staying with OUT if there is another Vote MR.BLAIR !

Yes probably the majority of young voted in but i think its alot more balanced like a 45/55 share of the vote ,depending in areas of the country! Also i saw onTV a young black man saying he's voting out he stated,few black Tory politicians were for out and i have seen numerous Asian's walking aroung in Ealing on Friday with 'Vote Leave badges ' on: ! So not all white and old then!:T

Exactly. I have heard a lot of unpleasant remarks about older people from some young people, along the lines of "Those damned wrinklies have screwed our future but they will be dead soon, so they should not have been allowed to vote". Imagine saying "Those damned Asians have screwed our future [insert reason], they should not be allowed to vote".

I've also heard a lot of remarks along the lines of "Leavers are Little England xenophobes". I voted out, primarily for reasons of national sovereignty as I think the EU is not democratic. I know others who think like this.
  • BucksLady
    BucksLady Posts: 567 Forumite
    Options
    Domayne wrote: »
    WHO do you vote for when you don't care?

Maybe you should care? - just saying :). It isn't just 'your' future you should be considering, but that of your loved ones.
  • saver861
    saver861 Posts: 1,408 Forumite
    Options
    blutto wrote: »
    In general they just do as they want from what i have seen in London and get away with it 90% of the time as no one in local Government does their job properly anymore! :mad:

Let me guess .... if you were working in Local Government then everything would be hunky dory? :D
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    BucksLady wrote: »
    Maybe you should care? - just saying :). It isn't just 'your' future you should be considering, but that of your loved ones.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment, I wonder 'if' there were to be a second referendum, would you think abstaining would be a valid choice?

The only reason to have a referendum would be to keep going till we get a Remain majority. I think I'd feel too disillusioned to vote again.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    rpc wrote: »
    Seems to be Juncker's approach, but national leaders seem to be a bit more pragmatic.

Already one is calling for Juncker to resign over this.

If we do actually leave, it will be on such terms that mean there is little practical difference to if we stayed.

In Dateline London yesterday on BBC News, Die Welt's Thomas Kielinger commented on Juncker more than once, mentioning that the (political) daggers would be out for him. Let's see if Thomas' prophesy of an early demise of 'yesterdays man' Juncker comes true. That event alone would stabilise the financial markets nicely!
  • Domayne
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    BucksLady wrote: »

This is like telling a smoker that what they are doing is bad for their health.
    Telling me to care isn't going to suddenly make me start caring. I don't think any bodies future is suddenly doomed because we are no longer part of a union. Just like I don't think anybody would have been doomed had we stayed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills