PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Waiting for a buyer... Anyone want to join me?

Options

Comments

• Pumpkim
    Pumpkim Posts: 214 Forumite
    Options
    Our drama continues, my nerves are in shreds!

We accepted the offer on Tuesday and now we have had another higher offer :eek:
    The new offer is what we always said we wanted to achieve and means we have a deposit and all costs covered from the equity with no need to dip into savings. BUT we can't bring ourselves to allow the first offer to be gazumped. My conscience is screaming no, but a tiny part of me thinks we should look after ourselves... we have agonised over this today. By the time we decided what to do, nobody answered the phone at the agents.

The next part of the drama, is that the house we love, which went SSTC 1 minute before we received our offer on Tuesday, has gone back live on all the property portals as of yesterday tea-time. The vendor said she would let us know if anything changed but hasn't made any contact and we haven't been able to get hold of anyone today. I spoke to the online agent today and the lady I spoke to said it was correct and it is available, but wasn't from the team dealing with it so didn't know what the situation was, she said she would get someone to call me but nobody did! I'm trying not to get too excited in case it's snatched away from me again :(

If it's this stressful now, I don't know how I'll survive waiting to exchange!:rotfl:
  • davgray
    davgray Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Temo I think your problem could be price, bare in mind you bought new only 2 years ago at £195 this would of been most likely top price bracket for the area as new build you pay over the odds on them, not sure in 2 years how I guess the estate agents then thinks it had gone up by 30k. I would think most likely looking at getting what you paid for it or slightly more if your lucky
  • sheff6107
    sheff6107 Posts: 451 Forumite
    Options
    "If it's this stressful now, I don't know how I'll survive waiting to exchange!"

Two offers on the table. How terribly stressful for you.
  • Tiners
    Tiners Posts: 232 Forumite
    Options
    sheff6107 wrote: »
    Too right. 8 weeks and nothing! Our agent came round to take some updated photos and said he'd never known a market like it. Absolutely no idea what will happen down the line and has plenty of nice houses that won't sell yet plenty of ones he'd expect to languish being sold.

That's how it always seemed to be in my area, the ones I thought were over priced seemed to sell quite quick whilst the ones that looked more reasonably priced seemed to hang around.

I think buyers have some kind of 'Emperors new clothes syndrome' when it comes to houses... the more expensive one must be the better house, because, well it's more expensive!

Things have changed now though, nothing seems to be selling, over priced or not.
  • scottishgirl87
    Options
    Well we had another viewing today so 2 viewings in the first 2 days of being on the market. I was a bit taken aback when the lady today declared she loved the place and could see herself living here. Whenever my fiance and I view properties we very much keep our poker faces on until we leave! Maybe that's just us though?
  • sheff6107
    sheff6107 Posts: 451 Forumite
    Options
    Almost every viewer I've had say they absolutely love it to my face. Then they'll tell the agent something negative the next day so minor you want to slap them around the head with a frying pan.
  • happytails
    happytails Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 2 July 2017 at 5:49PM
    Options
    New estate agent is coming on Tuesday - I am just a bit excited! New, better pics and a fresh start on Rightmove! Hopefully will equate to a sale soon!

Just ordered cheap curtains and pole for my Sons room which just had a blackout blind on and I have ordered bar stools for my breakfast bar to show it has a purpose! Getting some new cushions from poundland tomorrow to fill up the sofa - all good for the image on RM and its stuff i can take with me :)

Its the school holidays in 3 weeks and it would be so nice to be sold by then! (a miracle!)

A few things i've done this week - might help others who aren't getting much interest (or it might not!)

De-weeded entire front garden (stones on all garden area) and added 6 potted plants.
    Bought some artifical plants for the house - will be mixing with some real ones as i have about 6 vases now.
    Got some cheap but bright bulbs (not energy savers) so everywhere looks twice as bright
    Hung some plaques and mirrors up to fill blank walls.
    I have been practicing creating a lived in/purposeful space in each room that is tidy but not clinical and empty looking - dressing the table etc and strategically placing candles/toys/books like they do in show homes. my tester pics look much more enticing!

Sarah x
    DFW Total £21,800 to clear by Dec 2022
    MFW Total £184,950 £179,066 to clear by 2035
  • Pumpkim
    Pumpkim Posts: 214 Forumite
    Options
    I did a lot of those things Happytails, and it does give it a more homely inviting feel. It's more homely now than it has been in the 10 years we've lived here :rotfl:
    Good luck, I'm sure it will all work!

Well we had another viewing today so 2 viewings in the first 2 days of being on the market. I was a bit taken aback when the lady today declared she loved the place and could see herself living here. Whenever my fiance and I view properties we very much keep our poker faces on until we leave! Maybe that's just us though?

We've had three offers and I predicted all three, the people were all much more openly enthusiastic than any of the other viewers we've had, all were perfectly polite and said nice things to my face, but with the ones that offered I knew that they were imagining themselves living here. We've now accepted the first offer we got at the beginning of this week and I've spent today filling in all my property info forms for the solicitor, Fingers crossed it goes smoothly.
    Need to find somewhere to buy now :eek:
    The one we love is being removed from the market, they've decided not to sell:(
    Good luck everyone x
  • phoebe1989seb
    phoebe1989seb Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options

When we sold our last house in 2014, we had one viewing that we had to do ourselves as the EAs were 'unavailable'. They warned us ahead of the viewing that the woman was flakey and had already had an offer accepted on another house they had on their books. She arrived with her mum and by the second room she was in tears, telling us how perfect the house was. By the time she got upstairs, she was calling her lender regarding increasing her borrowing and having seen everything - the viewing took over an hour - she made us an asking price offer direct before leaving.

Our EA called to confirm she had formally offered and withdrawn the offer on the other property, but set alarm bells ringing by saying she'd need to bring her DH back to view at the weekend. She did, he loved it too and the sale went through with no price negotiations in a few weeks :D

Hope your buyer comes good too!
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills