We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3

Options

Comments

• onomatopoeia99
    Options
    Hi HBS :wave:
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • jobbingmusician
    Options
    Lovely to see you, HBS! :beer:
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • heartbreak_star
    Options
    Lovely to be back. <3

Apologies for my disappearing - I had an awful time with jobs and contracts and mental health and money and then I forgot my login and BLARGH!

But I'm back. I have missed you all and am going to go play catch up :D

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • mellymoo74
    mellymoo74 Posts: 6,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    *peeks around the door*

*waves shyly*

HBS x

HBS!!!!! xxxxx
    How are you? Xxx
    I maybe a bit excited to see you so going over there to calm down
  • heartbreak_star
    Options
    I am very well Melly and I am just as excited to see you :)

Hope you are also well my lovely :D

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

#Bremainer
  • System
    System Posts: 178,109 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Lovely to be back. <3

Apologies for my disappearing - I had an awful time with jobs and contracts and mental health and money and then I forgot my login and BLARGH!

But I'm back. I have missed you all and am going to go play catch up :D

HBS x
    Nice to see you back! :j

Sorry you've had a bad time recently,hope youre feeling a bit better now :)
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,204 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm usually just a concerned lurker so forgive the intrusion, but reading what jobbing wrote about volunteering thought I might have something useful to add.

I suspect most foodbanks are not open at weekends but could be wrong.

However NOW is just the time to enquire about volunteering over Christmas!

Another thought for Stoke, is there any chance to volunteer with a local children's football team?

Or is there anything like Nightstop in your area? Sounds like you have space.

You'll have to Google because I'm not on my laptop. Volunteer plus your town / city / county should get you somewhere sensible. Add your interests to refine further.

And going back to Music Day - join a choir! They are usually DESPERATE for men ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Izadora
    Izadora Posts: 2,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi HBS, lovely to see you back and I hope everything's calmed down for you xx
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for your replies. Obviously now that it's Wednesday, I'm at least feeling a little better. I don't know if time heals or not, but it's a much nicer feeling when it's not the anniversary of your relationship breakdown... It's still hard though, really hard. I do miss her, despite how much she wronged me at times.
    20aday wrote: »
    Well I’m slightly older than you but some of your life resonates with me.

Something happened to me just over 15 years ago and for a long time I’ve thrown myself into work and I’ve lost weight but like you I feel as if I’ve achieved nothing.

You and I couldn’t be more wrong, despite what we think/feel. Losing weight is an achievement. It isn’t easy but you are taking a step in the right direction. Walking into a room full of strangers isn’t easy either but you’ve done it on a weekly basis... which is more than I would have done-so that’s another achievement.

Have you ever sought counselling for your relationship? It’s easy for me to say when I need to get counselling myself (last week I took an overdose because everything got too much) but you’ve been through something traumatic... please don’t bottle it up.

As for Tinder... well I’ve been single nearly seven years and have used certain dating apps but needless to say they will leave you feeling even more isolated... are there any form of social events near you at all?

Appreciate you are tired after a long day at work but depression (which I suspect you might have, without realising) does that to you-everything just feels like an effort and you go through the motions.

Whatever you end up taking away from my reply remember... you are not alone and there are people out there who will listen.
    I know that my weight loss is an achievement, and I am proud of how far I've come with that. However, it's all the other stuff that I miss. The going abroad together.... visiting places and experiencing the world. Despite the bad stuff, we did a lot of that together and it was often good. I'm feeling a bit lost in that regard.

I have thought about counselling. My mum thought I needed to go and visit a psychologist and I think she worries about my mental state at times. I know she feels that I changed when I met her, and that when we broke up she assumed I would change right back. I haven't really.

I just don't feel things like Tinder are for me. My best mate is really keen for me to get on it, so that I can meet new people, but I'm not confident enough to boast about myself. I am not the kind of guy who writes "I'm this that and the other". I much prefer people who get to know me, from me.

I really hope you are wrong about me having depression, but it would explain a lot. I think I suffer from either a form of depression or anxiety. The problem is, I am terrified of getting diagnosed. Once you are diagnosed, everytime you're asked that question "Do you have a history of mental health issues such as depression", you have to reply yes. I'm terrified of being prejudiced for it, for the rest of my life. For a long time, I've felt as though if I persevere long enough, it will get better because it has too. My anxiety is a concern though because I feel it's getting worse. I hate saying no to people, but I am also afraid of saying yes because I feel I can't commit to things due to work. I'm equally terrified of being disliked... so rather than say "No, I'm sorry", I will hide away off WhatsApp for a couple of days rather than reply, which naturally worries people who are concerned for my wellbeing.

I've known for a long time I wasn't normal, since I was a kid, but at least before I was able to think and operate for myself. At the moment, I feel like an absolute mess.
    Strangely enough I was thinking of a food bank. I just wondered how volunteering at one fitted with a full time job (are they open in the evenings? I think they should be! - as it would be easier for parents to get there if one was working, given that so many people who use food banks now have part time jobs). The other alternative (which sounds SOOOOO trite and which I would have resisted like mad as a younger person) is evening classes. But actually there might be something there even related to work - if you did some personal development classes at least you'd meet some new people. (Although it might have the disadvantage that you might be in professional mode and thus less relaxed).

Oh dear, that's all a bit stream of consciousness.... I'll carry on thinking!
    It would have to be evenings for me unless it was maybe at the weekend. It doesn't sound a bad idea. I've not thought of classes. Wonder what I could do.... it would be an interesting option for a career change. Not that I am considering a career change currently, but I've been thinking for a while that I really am not sure I want to be doing this forever.
  • heartbreak_star
    Options
    Caught up :) MU and Izadora, it's so good to be back and to see you both and in fact everyone on here!

Stoke - some good advice and I hope things pick up for you soon.

Sunny you're doing marvellously, it will be sorted soon <3

Love to all!

HBS x

#Bremainer
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure