🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Accident at nursery

Options

Comments

• Jagraf
    Jagraf Posts: 2,462 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    mumps wrote: »
    When my daughter was 15 she was doing a weeks work experience at a local nursery. She was left in a kitchen with a group of 3 and 4 year olds, I think there were three of them. She was told to make cakes with them. She hadn't be CRB checked so shouldn't even have been alone with the children let alone in a kitchen. As an aside my daughter had a phobia about being burnt, we don't know where it came from but started as a baby and she has never had a burn, well maybe doing her hair with GHDs but nothing else. At school it had been agreed that during cooking a teacher would take her efforts out of the oven as it stressed her out worrying about it. She has got over that now but it was pretty ridiculous that without any discussion she was left in this situation. She has often said it was the most stressful thing she has ever done. Fortunately they all survived in tact but can you imagine the follow up if a child had been hurt? No risk assessment could have been done as if they had asked her my daughter would have explained the problem but she was just told to go and see X in the kitchen and X told her to make cakes with the kids and left.

That's awful was it a private nursery ?
    Never again will the wolf get so close to my door :eek:
  • Andypandyboy
    Andypandyboy Posts: 2,472 Forumite
    Options
    Jagraf wrote: »
    I agree with everything you say - it's just that we were happy with full time nursery. I get cross when people (not you) can't comprehend someone else's well thought out decisions.
    Personally I had flexibility through the early teens years which I found very handy!

Each to their own, it just wasn't for us, and luckily we didn't have the finanncial imperative to have to do it. I am aware that is not true for a lot of people.

We had flexibility during the teen years too, as one of us worked from home for most of the week.
  • mumps
    mumps Posts: 6,285 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Jagraf wrote: »
    That's awful was it a private nursery ?

I don't think its private, it is attached to a local primary school and takes babies up to school age. I suppose a private business might rent the building from the school but I always assumed it was linked to the school.
    Sell £1500

2831.00/£1500
  • Greenqueen_2
    Options
    I am a nursery nurse. I have looked after children for almost forty years. In that time I have been in private nurseries, council run creches and clubs, been a registered childminder and had my own children (now grown up).

I can categorically say that not all places have the same standards of care and supervision, even with the input of OFSTED. Children can and do get injured even in the best settings where precautions have been taken.

I urge any parent thinking of enrolling their child to visit places more than once, at different times of day, to get a feeling for the atmosphere. Also ask other parents for feedback.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    In a relationship when you decide to have a child surely you talk through how and by whom it will be cared for? We certainly did.

We didn't but perhaps it was because it wasn't planned.

For me, as a mum, I wanted conversation that didn't revolve around feeding, teething, potty training etc though I'd lay down my life for our son....in fact when he had a non life threatening but life changing illness at 3 I was willing to give up working had things not worked out how they did.

I remember , when going to initially see his nursery, how I was dragged into the kitchens and thinking why am I here but looking back they wanted me to see every aspect of the nursery & I will always hold that nursery in the highest respect.
  • Jagraf
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    We didn't but perhaps it was because it wasn't planned.

For me, as a mum, I wanted conversation that didn't revolve around feeding, teething, potty training etc though I'd lay down my life for our son....in fact when he had a non life threatening but life changing illness at 3 I was willing to give up working had things not worked out how they did.

I remember , when going to initially see his nursery, how I was dragged into the kitchens and thinking why am I here but looking back they wanted me to see every aspect of the nursery & I will always hold that nursery in the highest respect.

Me too - I have nothing but good memories and my daughters nursery was amazing. All families are different - more importantly all children are different - I think it's difficult to know in advance what you are going to do, your child will have their own 'opinions'.
  • Jagraf
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Greenqueen wrote: »
    I am a nursery nurse. I have looked after children for almost forty years. In that time I have been in private nurseries, council run creches and clubs, been a registered childminder and had my own children (now grown up).

I can categorically say that not all places have the same standards of care and supervision, even with the input of OFSTED. Children can and do get injured even in the best settings where precautions have been taken.

I urge any parent thinking of enrolling their child to visit places more than once, at different times of day, to get a feeling for the atmosphere. Also ask other parents for feedback.

My daughters nursery actively promoted this. A bit like anywhere I agree needs to be checked out for obvious reasons - childminder , nursery etc.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I urge any parent thinking of enrolling their child to visit places more than once, at different times of day, to get a feeling for the atmosphere. Also ask other parents for feedback
    I totally agree with this. I didn't just 'dump' my children in first nursery I found like some posters like to stipulate. I did a lot of research to find the best childcare, went from childminders to nurseries when the time was right, turned down more convenient childminders/nurseries that would have made my life easier because it was more important they went to the right childcare, even though it meant a lot more travelling for me.

There is no way I could have left my children in environment I didn't feel totally comfortable with. In all cases, I felt I was leaving them with people who could have been extended family members as I got to know them better, some who we are still in touch with.

It's a big step for a parent to learn to trust their judgement in the decisions they make for their children, especially when it involves trusting other people. It is much harder to do so the younger they are, but ultimately, it is always a difficult decision.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    HurdyGurdy wrote: »
    But you still haven't said what the nature of the accident was, so it's difficult for anyone to venture an opinion.

If you are really that steamed up about "amateurs pretending to be responsible adults" then you should inform Ofsted.

And you must be the only parent I have ever heard of whose child has NEVER had an accident, no matter how minor.

There are very cautious children - ie that simply don't ever have accidents (unless you count falling over and bashing their knee - something entirely their own fault). Any other accidents wouldn't be down to the child themselves.

Ask my mother - she had one like it:rotfl::hello::). She probably counts as the only mother I know that never ever had to take her daughter to the medics for injury from accidents.

So I can readily believe that the daughters accident was caused by someone else's carelessness.
  • burnoutbabe
    burnoutbabe Posts: 1,338 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    FBaby wrote: »
    My experience is that this is often the case for women working full-time, but most would be happy to work part-time rather than not at all and of course I was referring to working when the children are under the age of 5 and so at nursery full-time.

Wouldn't most people, prefer to work part time if money was not an issue, whether they had kids or not?

I love my job but if I could do it only 3 days a week and have 4 days to myself, that would be great!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport