Accident at nursery

Options
1151617181921»

Comments

• hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options

No office job expects people to be there at that time of night, and if they do they can cough up for the unsociable hours!

Welcome to London lol - we have secretaries take over from us in the evening from 6pm (til around 11pm) and it's often the case they have to work until the early hours. Occasionally, they've been expected to stay until 6-7am the next morning. One said she couldn't stay until 6am once as she had to get home for her kids to take them to school and our b**ch of a line manager said something along the lines of sacking them all, and that they were lucky to have a job (it was a recession at the time) and they should basically do as they're told. (Don't get me started on her, that's another thread LOL.)

As for the lawyers here, it's not unusual to work through the night - and the next - and the next! Sometimes just nipping home for a shower/change of clothes, or for 2 hours' sleep. One told me the other day he'd had around 18 hours in a week cos of a deal.

I've only known a couple of female lawyers to have kids here and I've been here 15 years.

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,107 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Never mind the assumption that all offices close before 6 pm, what's with the assumption that parents who need childcare only work in offices?

We've had teachers mentioned, but other jobs requiring extended hours - or even shifts! - are available ... Fine if one parent works regular / flexible hours, not so fine if both are on shifts or 'difficult' hours.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    So..? We had Baker Days at school. Our parents didn't complain that we needed to be looked after when we weren't at school.

It's not the school's job to provide a babysitting service for your children, nor to fit in with your career or lifestyle choices. A school's job is to educate children, not to act as free childcare! If it's inconvenient for you to look after your children yourself you'll have to arrange a babysitter.

If your hours are really that haphazard you need to make other arrangements. It's really not fair to leave a child in a nursery from 7am till after 9.30pm.

And as for wanting nurseries to be open at 11.30pm.. have I read that right??
    No office job expects people to be there at that time of night, and if they do they can cough up for the unsociable hours!

Hence why I didn't take a job in education until they'd left home; working in the NHS was hard enough - I left there when they decided I'd have to change hours, what with it being a 24 hour service and expected me to find childcare at night for the same wages.

As far as I can see, teachers who are also mums of small children tend to hand over the bringing up of their children to grandparents in order to keep paying their mortgages on normal sized homes. I'm not sure how (or why) they'd do that for around two grand a month, but the much maligned five week summer break, not including INSET or exam results days, must be the only way they can justify it to their families. I've been at school late to hear a member of staff take a phone call, thinking it was her Mum, only to find her eight year old bawling down the phone that her little sister (5) won't stop crying for her and won't go to sleep. She's leaving the state education system this year so she actually gets a chance (her words) to be a mum to them whilst she can. So the state schools lose yet another good teacher because the demands of the job extend way beyond 9am - 5pm.

Did I mention that both teaching and support staff all have to do those additional hours unpaid? Yup, that person taking the money at the door for the school play or selling refreshments has probably been there since 8am, will not leave until 11.30pm, hoped to nip home at about 5 for something to eat but found kids still in school because their parents didn't want them to come home (so they've needed supervision), and will not receive a single penny extra on their massive £7/h pay.

On a similar note, I got offered an admin shift by one of the local hospitals (I'm on the temp register) at 7pm Friday night for last Saturday - from 3am to 7am. I'd love to know how they expected essentially female staff to work those hours (especially as the bus service to the hospital stopped at midnight).

Regarding the school disco, I'm sure it would be easier for parents to have one disco, but I bet they'd be slightly miffed if a five foot, eight stone 11 year old boy accidentally tripped over their three foot, two stone four year old whilst dancing. Never mind the numbers of volunteers you'd need to supervise 500 kids in one hall designed for about 300 sitting still on the floor.

Of course, they could just go back to the old rules where women had to leave teaching (or any other job) when they got married. But I don't see that really helping society that much.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family