Is it weird wanting to remain single?

Options

Comments

• Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,840 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    I love going on holiday alone! Everyone needs some independence and a break. OH won't travel but I like to, so I go alone and have a proper rest from meetings. There's no 'lets go here at such and such time' - it's the only time in the year I don't have to answer to anyone.
    Each to there own but no way would I go away without my husband. Its the only time we have loads of time together.
    bluelass wrote: »
    At this moment you are a young man of 33 or 34? and enjoying life with dare I mention the odd hook up. One day when you are aged and possibly infirm you might well look back with regret eg you would have no one to look after for you and would have to go into care. We all get older the earth waits for no one but I hope you enjoy your young care free years.

That's not necessarily true though. People go into care with and without a spouse and of course one is always left alone.:(
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    At this moment you are a young man of 33 or 34? and enjoying life with dare I mention the odd hook up. One day when you are aged and possibly infirm you might well look back with regret eg you would have no one to look after for you and would have to go into care. We all get older the earth waits for no one but I hope you enjoy your young care free years.

I'm just going to con a young barman into giving me bed baths, I believe that's easier than you might expect! ;)
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Is that why your (older) husband married you? A guaranteed nurse in his declining years. Who's going to look after you after he's gone? Or are you going to be on the lookout for toyboy "hubs #2" to be your carer?
  • bluelass
    Options
    LilElvis wrote: »
    Is that why your (older) husband married you? A guaranteed nurse in his declining years. Who's going to look after you after he's gone? Or are you going to be on the lookout for toyboy "hubs #2" to be your carer?
    Our age difference is 3 years not 30. And I have a daughter who will be 19 later this year. But I am not selfish enough to expect that she will be my carer when I age. She is going to uni this year to study medicine.
    Britain is great but Manchester is greater
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Our age difference is 3 years not 30. And I have a daughter who will be 19 later this year. But I am not selfish enough to expect that she will be my carer when I age. She is going to uni this year to study medicine.

It was a 17 year age gap last time, keep your story straight!

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=69211518&postcount=58
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 February 2016 at 10:10AM
    Options
    It's weird wanting to remain single IF somebody perfect/right were to shuffle along ....

If you actually found somebody that was perfect/ideal/faultless etc etc and STILL wanted to be single, that'd be weird.

Of course, they don't actually exist .... so it's essential to have a cover story ready that it's by choice.

There are a lot of unsuitable people out there ... and it's not worth giving up being single for them.

Maybe 3D printing can print us perfect partners before too long.
  • bluelass
    bluelass Posts: 586 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My keys slipped I meant to say our age gap is 13 years. Thankfully im off tomorrow for a noon appointment its tiring having to explain myself to haters.
    Britain is great but Manchester is greater
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »
    :rotfl:I'm the opposite, I'm married but love travelling alone. Seriously, if you like travel, consider it - stay in hostels rather than hotels, you can get private rooms it's not all dorms and many are hotel standard, but so much more friendly and loads of solo travellers to meet, chat with maybe travel around a bit with, go to dinner with etc. Loads of threads on the travel board if you're interested.

I'm not the hostel type :-)
    I'm nearly 50, I think that's a much younger scene.
  • Anatidaephobia
    Options
    I don't think it's weird at all and I can easily imagine feeling that way myself had my life worked out differently.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,706 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My keys slipped I meant to say our age gap is 13 years. Thankfully im off tomorrow for a noon appointment its tiring having to explain myself to haters.

13 is not 17.
    I'm calling Walt.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure