Grants available for individuals

Options
1234568»

Comments

• danha2011
    Options
    Hi. im in desperate need of some advice. im a lone of two girls, one at primary and the other in college, i am currently on esa and have just been awardejd dlaa. my laptop is broken and am using my phone for internet. both my girls come home with homework involving reserch but they cant do it. is there any grants i can get to help? Or maybe a charity that could help? I dont want my childrens education to suffer, please help
  • kingfisherblue
    Options
    I don't know of any charities that can help you, but your children's education shouldn't suffer because you don't have a computer. Your older child can use computers at college, and both can use them at the library.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,107 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't know of any charities that can help you, but your children's education shouldn't suffer because you don't have a computer. Your older child can use computers at college, and both can use them at the library.
    Not to mention the fact that primary school children shouldn't IMO be given homework which assumes they have access to a computer, and the class teacher should be made aware of the lack (if it is a lack) and asked to suggest alternatives.

I always had to make the boys' class teachers aware that they didn't have ready access to TV - we didn't have one at home - and that did cause some problems, like when one of them was meant to be doing something on weather, and it was assumed he'd know what the simple icons on the TV weather reports looked like and meant. No on both counts ... but we went to the library and did our best.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • zalker
    Options
    Hi Me and my partner have recently separated and I will be moving to a council flat as soon as my bid for one is successful. I am currently on job seekers allowance and I need furniture carpets curtains etc as I will be leaving the property with nothing does anyone know of a grant I maybe entitled to apart from community care grant?

thanks in advance
  • Oakey76uk
    Oakey76uk Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    I live in west yorkshire and wondered if there are any grants to help towards double glazing.
    We line in private rented but the landlord is ok with getting double glazing but a bit reluctant to spend.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 27 March 2013 at 9:11PM
    Options
    You should consider the governments new green deal?

It's not a grant but a loan, I think this replaces all of the old "grant" style options for energy saving - such as your need for glass.

Don't know if you are elegible - but I think I'd just be moving on if the landlord wouldn't provide it.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 28 March 2013 at 3:03AM
    Options
    zalker wrote: »
    Hi Me and my partner have recently separated and I will be moving to a council flat as soon as my bid for one is successful. I am currently on job seekers allowance and I need furniture carpets curtains etc as I will be leaving the property with nothing does anyone know of a grant I maybe entitled to apart from community care grant?

thanks in advance

Community care grants end in 3 days time but you can still apply for a budgeting loan or ask to be referred to a furniture project via the council

An actual grant in your situation would be nice , it's pretty daunting starting with NOTHING but with no grant as such it is a matter of building things up bit by bit with necessities like a cooker first

Do you have children? Social services may able to advise you or I don't know if there are any charities who can help now but I don't think it will be any financial help , just possibly free or cheap furniture from a furniture project then simple things like affording to FIT the cooker by a registered corgi engineer becomes a problem but am not sure what to do in that situation so I suggest a BUDGETING LOAN WHILE THEY ARE STILL AVAILABLE ;)

There will probably be an influx of budgeting loan applications once the community care grants stop on 1st April so I would either get an application in QUICK or wait until the first influx of fresh claims die down in a few months time hopefully ( same applies for the demand on the furniture projects I should imagine ) x
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    zalker wrote: »

thanks in advance

Unless you are very very lucky you will be waiting on that list for years and years and may never get a council place, private let may be your only option in which case look around for a furnished let or get on freecycle or freegle and start collecting stuff you will need.;)
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • Oakey76uk
    Oakey76uk Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    assj wrote: »
    You should consider the governments new green deal?

It's not a grant but a loan, I think this replaces all of the old "grant" style options for energy saving - such as your need for glass.

Don't know if you are elegible - but I think I'd just be moving on if the landlord wouldn't provide it.
    Thanks for the help i will look into it.

Both us and the landlord plan on us staying here longterm so if we can help towards the cost we may aswell.
    They are good landlords on the whole so we would not want to move
  • seaweed5254
    seaweed5254 Posts: 163 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 28 June 2013 at 10:37PM
    Options
    Hello, not sure if this is where i can ask for help. Just as a summary, i have been made redundant twice in less than a year. I am claiming jsa, council tax benefit, and got around 40% help with my mortgage. I have been out of work for 9 weeks. I am worried sick that i wouldn't have anymore enough savings to pay for my bills in 3 weeks' time. I know the crisis loan have been scrapped and i'm not sure if i have to be 26 wks out of work to be entitled for an advance payment from my jsa.
    I dont know what to do anymore. I have been keeping my expenses for food, and petrol at a minimum. I don't have any family i could ask for help. I am on my own.

ANyone, please i need your advice on how i will be able to survive the next month. Been suffering from stress and anxiety :(

By the way, this is my 4th redundancy in 7 yrs all mainly due to either economic downturn or company shutting down to relocate abroad
    Thanks a lot in advance
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport