🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Grants available for individuals

Options

Comments

• nikken1979
    Options
    Does anyone know if there is any help available to help with moving? I need to move but do not have a deposit, I receive housing benefit but they do not help with the deposit! :(
  • maesyrawel
    Options
    Hello I'm new to this thread. We need help building another bedroom. I have a large and growing family, 6 children, latest just 1 month. We live in a 3 bedroom ex-Council House. We are on a relatively small income that is almost doubled by Child Tax Credits. Does anyone have any idea if there might be a grant out there for us, our loft is big enough to convert simply and cheaply (ie. no need for a dorma).
    Thanks
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    Hi.

My mum has terminal cancer and needs some work doing to the downstairs toilet/shower room to make the shower work. She also wants a cheap wall putting up to split the kitchen in half to make a bedroom.

She saw a social worker last week who said that she needed a DFG, which takes a year to sort out. She hasn't got a year. In fact, it needs doing asap, because she's breathless and getting dizzy spells. She can't really manage the stairs anymore, it takes her 4 hours to recover and be able to get a shower, which then takes ages to recover from. Showering's getting dangerous because of the dizzyness, but they have given her a bath stool to sit on.

The social worker said to borrow against the house, but no-one will lend to a terminally ill woman with months left to live!

I can't borrow for it because I'm on means tested benefits and have a shot credit rating, and my sister was recently turned down for a loan due to low income and living in London. So we can't really get hold of the money for her ourselves.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • suelees1
    suelees1 Posts: 1,617 Forumite
    Options
    Once an assessment has been done by the LA/OT and aids or adaptation identified the LA must provide/complete these within a reasonable time. You should seek advice from someone experienced in community care law. Ring http://www.communitylegaladvice.org.uk/ to be signposted to the nearest one
    I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog too!
  • hannahlw85
    Options
    Hi, i was wondering if anyone can offer some advice. Im not able to learn to drive myself due to having heavy doses of morphine and because of different health problems/disabilities. I've recently been diagnosed with something which will start requiring regular hospital visits for check-ups. I'm looking for advice on if there's anything that can help fund my brother to get his licence so he is able to take me to these appointments. I get High Rate DLA but we're both over 25 so arent elegible for the Motorbility driving lesson help. At this very moment in time neither of us can afford to pay for the lessons needed, and there isnt anyone who can teach him. There's no way i can cope with the bus ride there and taxi's cost an absolute fortune.
    Would appreciate what help anyone can give regarding this.
  • *Twinkle*
    *Twinkle* Posts: 352 Forumite
    Options
    hi, i just thought this may be of intrest to people, through the Turn2us website i found a charity who paid the administration fee on for my Debt relief order, which i was so very grateful for, then they sent a chap out to me to discuss my situation, a few weeks later i had a letter saying they are going to send me a cheque every 4 months for a certain amount and this would be on going, also at christmas they sent another cheque to help buy my children gifts, i was amazed and so thankful as all i'd asked for was help to get my debt relief order sorted.
    the cheques they send do not affect my benefits in anyway and will come in very useful, i dont know how to thank them. apparently alot of charities do this so maybe anyone in need could go down this route?
    Skint, but happy (ish):p
  • mariamunkey
    Options
    Twinkle* Can you name the organisation you got help through please? I am a married mother of 5 and am having severe hardships and have a severe built up now of fuel bills and have been totally unable to renew clothes, appliences etc. My husband works full time and at a really heavy job and I watch every penny I spend but seem to be unable to manage and I'm now seeing my family suffer. What can I do or who can I turn too. I'm lucky in that none of my children have any illnesses and although I have neurological problems it hasn't been diagnosed and I don't qualify for anything other than severe poverty? My children do extremely well in sport and schooling, and I do wonder if I can get the help now before we descend further into dispair. Any help appreciated.
  • lindelou
    lindelou Posts: 46 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,

can i ask if there is a grant ava.ilable to help my unemployed son with his bus fare cost of £415 in september when he starts college

thanks for reading,

Lindelou:o
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,154 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    lindelou wrote: »
    Hi all,

can i ask if there is a grant ava.ilable to help my unemployed son with his bus fare cost of £415 in september when he starts college

thanks for reading,

Lindelou:o
    he should ask through the college: might be a hardship fund or similar.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • mishmash17
    Options
    I am currently on additional maternity leave from work which means i only receive child benefit and child tax credits. My son is nearly 10 months and is very close to crawling and i looking for advice on any grants or help available for child proofing my home? I have done various searches online but not really getting any useful information. This issue is causing me lots of stress.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport